The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 7, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

CZ-75 problem & question

I am currently working a temporary assignment that has been most unusual -- the vast majority of my co-workers at this site either have carry permits or are in the process of getting them, enjoy shooting, and enjoy talking about (gasp!) GUNS! This is completely contrary to my experience at other work situations over the years, where for the most part I felt I could not or at least should not even hint that I possess and usually carry such weapons of mass distraction.

A couple of weeks ago one of the younger guys bought his first handgun, a used CZ-75. Part of the problem is that I haven't seen the gun yet (we can't have guns AT work because it's a state-owned site and illegal). I won't get to see it until our next Friday after-work range get-together.

This morning he told me that he was disappointed because, over the weekend, he tried to put a new Bar-Sto CZ-75 barrel in his gun and it wouldn't go. He said the Bar-Sto barrel has a larger outside diameter and the muzzle simply would not fit the slide. He showed me the barrel, and it's now resting in my jacket pocket.

I would like to ask if some of you who own CZ-75s and CZ-75bs would be kind enough to measure the OD of your barrels and post the numbers. Also, please specifiy if you have a 75 or a 75b, because I'm wondering if that makes a difference. I'd like to try to compile a dimensional baseline for comparison.

Thank you.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Your lucky day, I had the CZ-75 out today. A "pre-B" with round trigger guard, '92 proof, Made in Czechoslovakia.
Barrel measures .502"-.510" at and behind the muzzle. Not as uniform (or as round) as one would hope.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:19 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

He may have purchased a gunsmith fit barrel that's intentionally made to be a slightly oversized so that it can be precisely fit to the gun to improve accuracy.

The outside diameter of the barrel of my CZ 75B is 0.502" at the muzzle.

The inside diameter of the barrel opening in the slide is 0.508"
Old May 8, 2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Thanks, Gentlemen.

Please keep those cards and letters coming ...
Old May 8, 2012, 08:41 AM   #5
johnbt

The FAQs on their site say the Match Target barrels require a gunsmith to fit them and the Semi Fit barrels only drop in 7 out of 10 times.

And then there's this FAQ: "We do not produce anything for the CZ, Walther, H&K, Smith and Wesson, Kahr, or Ruger."
Old May 8, 2012, 11:27 AM   #6
dabluesguy

Aguila, I loved your "weapons of mass distraction" quote. Kinda sums it up for me too.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbt
And then there's this FAQ: "We do not produce anything for the CZ, Walther, H&K, Smith and Wesson, Kahr, or Ruger."
Yeah ... but the barrel is a Bar-Sto and I know the story behind it. But we all thought it was a drop-in, and it ain't.

Bummer. Sure makes a purty paperweight, though.