The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 19, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Jerry11826

Ruger LCR - What's so great!

My grandfather had a habit of saying, “I’m not sure what I expected, but what I got wasn’t it.”

That’s the way I feel about my new LCR 357.

There has been such good “press” and favorable comment on the firearms forums, I thought the LCR 357 was a “wonder gun”! After firing 50 rounds, I don’t think so.

Good

1. The finish. I “dry fired” mine approximately 500 times before shooting the above mentioned 50 rounds. (See Bad) Only very light evidence of cylinder “ringing”. That is remarkable! There should have been “ringing” at that point. Not much! This may be the revolver that will look almost “out of the box” after 25,000 rounds and 20 years.

2. The price. Good! I paid $446.00 via Davidson’s “Gun Genie”. My local dealer charged $34.95 to handle the transfer and “paperwork”. The Florida sales tax was $31.22. The out the door price was $512.17. I don’t think you can get anywhere close to that price on a S&W “J” frame.

3. Trigger pull. Very good for an “out of the box” revolver. Not great, but very good. My S&W model 36, 2" and my model 60, 3" have better DA trigger pulls. But let’s be fair. Both of these guns have “spring kits” and have been tuned by a competent gunsmith.

4. Weight. I guess, just about right. My LCR weighs 18 oz., on my inexpensive, “K-Mart” food scale. The 50 rounds I shot were my “crappy” reloads. 158 grn. cast SWC bullets on top of 3 grns. of BE. The recoil was “snappy”, but not objectionable. About the same as my “J” frame S&W’s. I think shooting 50 rounds of full power, 158 grn. 357 magnum “factory” loads would be unpleasant! I wouldn’t want to do it.

Bad

1. My revolver arrived with inadequate lubrication. The trigger pull was horrendous. The trigger return was worse. I nearly sent it back to Ruger. Adding a few drop of “Break free”, in the appropriate places and “dry firing” approximately 500 times, made a tremendous difference. I rate the current trigger “pull and return” as very good.

2. Accuracy. OK. Certainly not as good as my “J’ frame S&W’s. I was able to keep my shots in the scoring rings of a B-34, NRA combat target at 10 yards, but could not get a group. The shots were “all over the place”. In contrast, my current self defense gun, a 30+ year old S&W 669, will shoot 9 ring groups, on a B-34 target at the same distance.

Anyway, “actions speak louder then words”! I am going to dump this “turkey”. My club, has a swap meet quarterly. Think I will ask $412.00 and “eat” the $100.00 as putting too much confidence in “gun writers” and firearms forums.

Jerry
Old August 19, 2012, 11:18 AM   #2
ROGER4314

I'm a loyal fan of S&W revolvers but also try to embrace new technology. I have the Ruger LCR in .357 Mag and like it a lot! Full throttle .357 mag rounds hurt my hand but it does exactly what it is supposed to do.....offer a lot of firepower in a small package. It is easy to carry, smooth and snag free but I would NOT say that it's fun to shoot!

I especially like the .357 Magnum version as the frame is SS instead of aluminum. I still prefer the S&W but I got my money's worth with this Ruger.

Flash
Old August 19, 2012, 11:50 AM   #3
CWKahrFan

The .357 LCR wasn't designed as a range gun... It's designed as a very small, very light short-range SD .357.

You didn't shoot it as accurately as a J-frame.
It needed a lube and a break-in period.
You tried it and didn't care for it.
In your book it's a turkey.

OK... I think I got it.
Old August 19, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Obambulate

J-frame 642 or 442 sells regularly here for $349.

The LCR is an attempt to remake the modern carry revolver, using innovative design, materials, and assembly process. Ruger was largely successful, IMO.

I don't really consider .357 a good ammo choice for a lightweight pocket gun. You might have liked the LCR in .38 +P, which is almost 4-oz lighter than the .357 model. It's also about $50 cheaper than the .357 LCR.
Old August 19, 2012, 01:01 PM   #5
wayneinFL

A couple of dealers I do business with in Fort Lauderdale only charge $25 for a transfer, and no sales tax.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:41 PM   #6
edfrompa

I dumped mine for the same reasons. Picked up a used Smith & Wesson 642, $340.00 dollars. Shoots +Ps. Which is all I need. Great little firearm.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:00 PM   #7
whip1

I don't get why your disappointed. A bit of lube fixed the trigger. The accuracy could be any number of factors including the shooter. If I was in the market for another 357, I'd buy it from you right now for that price.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:17 PM   #8
jct61765

I have the +p, very light. I almost forget i have it, but i always have it. Its a carry alot shoot little gun. Its easy to take care of too. Its a close quarters gun, not a target gun. I very rairly practice more than 7yrds away. That is what its for.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:21 PM   #9
buck460XVR

Pretty decent summation of your experiences Jerry. We all have followed advice of others at one time or another that have led us to buy something that was not ideal.....at least for us. You have decided to sell it and move on. Good choice. Is the gun a turkey? Apparently noy to everybody, but some(like edfrompa) do agree with you.

Quote:
I dumped mine for the same reasons. Picked up a used Smith & Wesson 642, $340.00 dollars. Shoots +Ps. Which is all I need. Great little firearm.
I have a 637. It too shoots +p and is a great little gun. I picked mine up new for less than $400 OTD. I have several full sized .357 mags that are a pleasure to shoot. In a 2'' Airweight snubby..........no thanks.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Chuckusaret

My wife CC's a LCR-CT .38+P and loves it.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Frasier

I have the Ruger LCR in .38 and rather like it. It was not designed for long range target work, but as a close range belly gun. The key is to practice with it until you get a feel for the weapon. Sure, it will never have the accuracy of my S&W Model 10-8, but it's much more concealable. It took practice for me to hit with it, now I would trust mine completely.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:56 PM   #12
moxie

I also have one in .38 mode and love it.

You buy a gun and shoot it without first cleaning and lubing it? What do you expect? New guns get shipped all the way from dirty and bone dry to dirty and sticky with cosmoline. Clean and lube a new gun and save yourself a lot of grief.

I like the sights and the trigger on the LCR compared to comparable J-frames. Much better.

As far as accuracy goes, sounds like your mind was made up not to like the gun despite great finish, price and trigger.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old August 19, 2012, 07:20 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

Hmmm. I love my LCR 357 . . but then, that's just me. It's my CC. O.K. . . . you didn't like yours . . . you shot all of 50 rounds out of it? It sounds like you are more of a S & W lover . . . so why don't you try their 357 Bodyguard (S & W)? It's comparable to the LCR and was designed for the same purpose - an easy carry, lightweight revolver for SD at close range - not as a range gun.

When I was looking for a snobby (I don't care for semi-autos for CCW), I compared both the S & W Bodyguard and the Ruger LCR. I much preferred the feel of the LCR . . . it fit my hands the best but for others, I'm sure the Bodyguard might work out better. I c ompared "apples to apples". I've got between 500 and 700 rounds through my LCR and am very happy with it. I'm no crack shot but I have no problem putting them in the "kill zone". Personally, I find it a lot easier to carry around than a steel frame but that'd just me.

I hope that when you trade it off to one of your fellow range members that you also tell them what a "turkey" it is.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 19, 2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Shadi Khalil

I've handled a few and can't say I wanted to give my J-frames afterwards. As for the price of the S&W's, like others said, they are available for well under $500.
Old August 19, 2012, 07:31 PM   #15
1911Tuner

LCR

Quote:
The .357 LCR wasn't designed as a range gun... It's designed as a very small, very light short-range SD .357.
Bingo. It's a belly gun. If shooting tight groups is your thing, maybe a different revolver would be a better choice.

IMO, .357 Magnum is a bit rambunctious in an 18-ounce revolver. .38 Special should do if it's shot well, and especially if the gun is used at the distances that it was intended for.

Here may well be the ideal platform for the new crop of hot-rod .32s
Old August 19, 2012, 07:52 PM   #16
9mm

I like my LCR-22 but the 357/38 models do not interest me, nor do Taurus's "plastic" revolvers as well. S&W hasn't made any "plastic" revolvers, nor I hope they do not. I think "plastic" on a revolver is an insult.

I also do not care for the design for a 38/357 in the internal working parts. This is just my IMO and between a Ruger LCR and a Taurus/S&W J frame [metal guns] would last a lot longer IMO.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:40 PM   #17
ares338

Ruger LCR - What's so great?

So you don't like it? Sell it...buy something else....problem solved!
Old August 19, 2012, 08:52 PM   #18
ATW525

Quote:
S&W hasn't made any "plastic" revolvers, nor I hope they do not.
I guess you missed the Bodyguard 38.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:53 PM   #19
Jerry11826

Hi Guys!

I didn’t write my post very well.

What I think I wanted was a “J” frame Smith size revolver with better ergonomics and better accuracy. What I got was a “J” frame Smith size revolver with the same ergonomics and slightly less accuracy. Essentially, I got what I already had.

All the hype made me think I was getting a revolutionary product. Something significantly better than anything else available. I was disappointed.

Think I will spend some of the proceeds of the LCR sale and have the hammer bobbed on my Mdl. 36.

Jerry
Old August 20, 2012, 12:24 AM   #20
Mosin44az

I agree with the OP also, at least in being disappointed with my LCR .38. Read the hype online, thought it would be much more comfortable than an Airweight to shoot.

It's not. No reason to trade an Airweight for one.

I thought the LCR in .357 might be a bit more comfortable, due to the extra few ounces. Based on the OP, guess not. Anyone else?
Old August 20, 2012, 04:24 AM   #21
kcub

The gun rags can't be critical of Ruger or their primary adverti$er will dry up.
Old August 20, 2012, 04:27 AM   #22
giaquir

My cousin just bought an LCR 357.
The trigger pull wasn't bad and it will
smooth out with use.
What struck me as odd,no where
could I find a caliber designation
on the gun.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:54 AM   #23
ATW525

Quote:
What struck me as odd,no where
could I find a caliber designation
on the gun.
Caliber designation on the LCR should be on the right side of the ejector shroud under the barrel.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:29 AM   #24
Ichiro

The new(ish) S&W Bodyguard revolvers are "plastic."

Quote:
S&W hasn't made any "plastic" revolvers, nor I hope they do not. I think "plastic" on a revolver is an insult.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:52 AM   #25
giaquir

Okay, thanks.
The roll marks were so light.
I couldn't see much of anything.