The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 2, 2010, 09:42 AM   #26
TXGunNut

It's a very quick case prep procedure that only needs to be done once. The tool is inexpensive as case prep tools go, can even be made from a drill bit. Some cases don't require it, my last batch of Starline cases didn't need it and I understand Lapua and other premium cases don't require it either. I still have 200+ new RP cases and the burr is quite noticeable so it's gotta go, at least for me.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 2, 2010, 01:08 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

May not be needed....

Only seems to be something that affects benchrest.....

Do it, or not, as you see fit. I don't, but then, I don't shoot benchrest either. The one benefit it does do is make things uniform. I think its not so much a removing burrs that gives that gives some benefit, but making the flash holes uniform.

Uniformity is accuracy, to a point. Same reason they weigh each case. TO get the most possible out of them. Most say it makes no difference in regular shooting, and I agree with that.

On the other hand, when the difference between winning a match is measured in .00x" you want every possible advantage you can get!