The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Copernicus

Lee Turret or Pro 100

Im not sure if this is ok here. If it's not I'm sorry.Looking to upgrade from my little single stage setup to help speed up pistol production so I'd like to step up to a turret or possibly a progressive. I load 38, 357 and 45 acp so any dies or whatnot would be helpful as well. Let me know what you have. It doesn't have to look pretty but it must function perfectly.

Thanx
Old October 1, 2010, 12:08 AM   #2
Lost Sheep

Need more information

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice.

Dies will be the same whether you go with the Lee Pro 1000 ot either of the Lee Turret presses (or any others I know of, either).

But the main reason I moved from my Pro-1000 presses to a Turret was for four reasons.

1) With a progressive, I have to watch multiple things simultaneously. I prefer to watch one thing at a time. When I do that with my progressives, though, I find the speed drops to only a little more than the turret.

2) The Lee Safety Prime available with the Turret feeds more positively than the one available with the Pro-1000.

3) Changing calibers with the Turret is simpler than with the Pro-1000. Not that the Pro-1000 is difficult, but it appeals to my single-stage mindset. Same shell holder as single-stage. Primer size changing is dead simple.

4) The primers on the Classic Turret drop cleanly into a tube. The Deluxe Turret and the Pros-1000 have a significant failure rate (that is, they wind up on the floor).

But those are MY reasons.

YOUR reasons will likely be different and depend on such factors as:

How much do you reload in a single setting? Larger numbers suggest progressive.

What's your budget? (1-Dollars and 2-Bench Space) You can get a Pro-1000 with dies set up for one caliber with everything you need for $200. A $400 investment would have you set up for 38/357 and 45 with two presses side-by-side and primer changing and caliber changing woes would go completely away.

If you are not comfortable with multiple operations simultaneously, a progressive may not be for you.

Progressives are reputed to take some extra fiddling and adjusting. My Pro-1000s did, but maybe that's just me (or them, I got them used).

So, share with us what quantities you are interested in reloading and how mechanical you are.

How long have you been reloading? Round count as well as months/years.

Lost Sheep
Old October 1, 2010, 12:55 AM   #3
sonnycrockett

Have a lee class turret (for sale actually)
Its too slow (125-150 rd an hour) so I bought a Dillon,however it works very well for what it is,the primer system worked great for me and I think its the best deal in reloading...I dont like the Pro1000 because its only a 3 stage system and its a cheaper press,Lee SHOULD IMO dump the 3 stage press and make the 1000 a 4 stage press like the LCT .
Old October 1, 2010, 12:59 AM   #4
jmortimer

Hard to beat the Lee Precision Classic Turret if you decide not to go with a progressive.
Old October 1, 2010, 01:40 AM   #5
Scorch

If you are just going to load handgum ammo, get a Pro1000. Sure, you can do 223 on it, but it is designed for handgun ammo, the frame opening will not allow you to even load 308-length cases.

If, on the other hand, your plans might include rifle ammo, get the Classic Turret. The frame opening is large enough to accomodate rifle cartridges, and you can also load handgun ammo on it.
Old October 1, 2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Real Gun

I have the turret press, the Pro1000, and the Loadmaster. Knowing the limitations, I can't recommend them. What I can do is help work with what you have or can afford. To really have a choice and a budget suitable for a progressive, the only type of press I feel is appropriate for volume pistol ammo production, I would get the Hornady LnL AP. The reasons are that it includes auto-indexing and can be used realistically without a case feeder. It is also relatively easy to switch to a different caliber. It accepts existing dies. It does not require expensive add-ons.

A special note about the Hornady unit. I am seeing price increases by $100 at various sources, so I think there is a shortage, and anyone who was thinking about getting a Hornady should make their move.
Old October 1, 2010, 07:36 AM   #7
Copernicus

Thanks for all the advice so far. I've got tons of bench space to work with so that is not really an issue. I'm very good with machinery so that is a plus. The more I read and research I think that a turret is going to be the way to go. I'm sure I will eventually get into loading rifle so I think the Classic Turret would be the next logical step for me. I'm probably loading 100 28 and 100 357 a week as it stands, but that is taking me forever having to reset the dies for the different case length. I am correct in understanding that the turret ring can be set and then the whole thing swapped so there is no ned to set the dies again correct? Anyone know where I can buy a decent used one?
Old October 1, 2010, 07:50 AM   #8
Petespacking

I have two 1000's and they work great for me. Yes, the turret comes off with the dies intact so there is no set-up the next run. I do verify that everything is still adjusted before I take off and start production. To change calibers you also have to change the charge plate, one bolt, so that doesn't take long either. I found my second press on e-bay. I load 9mm, 45ACP and 38's. I've loaded thousands of 38's and the press works like new. I have 1000 rounds of 9mm and 1500 rounds of 45 brass that is going to get filled this winter! I'm casting my own bullets with free lead and got several pounds of free powder so I plan on shooting for the price of .22's next spring!
Old October 1, 2010, 07:56 AM   #9
sonnycrockett

Lee should take the Classic Turret and make that
a Pro 1000 - or at least make the 1000 a 4 station head
as an option.....but everyone knows the classic is a better press
MFG than the aluminum version .....