The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old October 5, 2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Jim4003

Hoppes Customer Service

Purchased a rifle cleaning rod for all calibers. When I found out that did not include 17 caliber I called Hoppes (Uncle Mikes). What I got was a customer service rep who admitted this was a problem they were having, it seemed he was not interested in solving the problem, only suggesting what I could purchase and quoting prices. Not the kind of customer service I care for. I think I will find a new company to purchase items from. I would say more about it but I will not break the forum rules with bad language.
Old October 6, 2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Erich

I guess I don't see your problem with Hoppe's.

I suppose I can see how it's frustrating to buy something that's inaccurately labeled, but . . . when you bought the rod, couldn't you see it wouldn't work? (That is, assuming that you bought it in person, and not through some mail order deal.)

Look, the .17s were pretty much oddball rounds until the last couple of years, and common sense might suggest that those "Universal" rifle rods wouldn't work - since they have been marketed for years and years as "Universal" rods.

And it's not like there haven't been .17s out there. They were oddball, but they were out there. So are .14s, and .12s . . . but no one who shoots a .12/2000 would think that a "Universal" rod would work for their bore.

So, you called Hoppe's and they acknowledged it's a problem. That sounds good. Then they suggested alternatives, and told you what they would cost. Okay, they tried. Perhaps there are things that could have made you happier (they didn't come to your house, give you a new rod and a massage), but - hey - I don't see anything wrong with their response. What would you have liked them to do? And why didn't you suggest that such was what they could do to make you happy? Assertiveness goes a long way with customer service people who aren't telepaths.

At least they didn't point out that you should have been able to see that the rod wouldn't work for your rifle - like I did.
Old October 7, 2004, 06:46 PM   #3
Jim4003

Erich, first of all its hard to measure the diameter of a rod in a sealed thick plastic bag. Second, customer service is there to correct situations, not to suggest you make more purchases because they made the mistake of incorrectly labeling their merchandise. It is not like I bought the rod years ago when the 17 did not exist, it is now a common caliber and not a rare at all. My opinion, you make a mistake, especially in business, you should try and make it right.
Old October 8, 2004, 07:28 PM   #4
Jim4003

Just a quick follow up on the Hoppe's problem. I was contacted by the manager of the customer service department. She is sending a 17 caliber rod to remedy the problem. She did see a problem with the response I originally got and at no time tried to insult a person she did not know by saying there was a lack of common sense on my part. Luckily there are people out there who are responsible enough to claim they made the mistake and try to correct it rather than lay blame on the damaged party.
Old October 9, 2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Erich

Jim, I'm sincerely sorry if you took my reference to "common sense" to be an insult to yourself. But, buddy, you sound a little whiney: if you want to complain about your problems to the world in a forum such as this one, you might want to be prepared for the possibility that someone might suggest you brought it on yourself.

No insult intended, but the "problem" you had is not one that I would ever have had - I can tell the difference between a .17 rod and a .22 one through the packaging. And, if I wasn't sure, I would have opened the package to take a gander at it. And if I'd screwed up, I'd probably just try to return it to the store instead of calling the customer service number and complaining, and then posting about it on the 'net.

So, I am sincerely sorry if you feel insulted, partner, because that was not intended. But I do not think you showed an overabundance of common sense (and - hey - I've been there myself; we all have) and I do feel that more than 50% of your "problem" lay with you. I feel that Hoppe's was gracious in their handling of the problem, and I feel that you ought to take a little more responsibility for your actions.

And, if you don't want to hear folks' responses, than you shouldn't bring it up on a forum like this.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but I wanted to give you my opinion, particularly after your passive/aggressive "Luckily there are people out there who are responsible enough to claim they made the mistake and try to correct it rather than lay blame on the damaged party."
Old October 10, 2004, 12:57 PM   #6
Erich

Jim, I got your PM. I understand what you are saying. It sounds like it must have been a frustrating situation, and I'm glad it worked out well in the end. Peace and take care, erich
Old December 7, 2004, 06:11 PM   #7
abelew

I dont mean to criticize after the fact, but might you have just returned the rod to the store you purchaced it from? I have, and am sure many others have also, purchaced a product that they thought would work, and didnt, only to return it to the retailer. Also, a hoppes aluminum rod is what, $5 at the most. As I said, not trying to criticize, just trying to present a different approach that I have used in the past, addmintingly that dont always work.
Old December 7, 2004, 07:26 PM   #8
gudel

Quote:
I dont mean to criticize after the fact, but might you have just returned the rod to the store you purchaced it from? I have, and am sure many others have also, purchaced a product that they thought would work, and didnt, only to return it to the retailer
That's what I would do too. If this complain is about gun, then I can understand if the store won't take it back. Some people. Just take it back and get it fixed.
Old December 8, 2004, 10:51 AM   #9
Erich

IIRC, Jim lived about 3 hours away from the store where he'd bought it . . . .
Old January 15, 2005, 07:34 AM   #10
abelew

There isnt a local branch of that store near him? If not I can see the dilemma, however while he is technically correct about a rod for "all calibers" should fit all calibers, common sense would say that a new round such as .17 hmr might fall into the category of too new. Most of theses "all caliber" rods are just .22 rods, which is the smallest caliber usually found, so anything bigger it would fit also.