The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 27, 2013, 11:19 AM   #1
REM1

Must remoil be removed before switching to breakfree clp

Must Remoil be removed before switching to Breakfree CLP. I was told RemOil has teflon.

Thank you.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I have never had a problem using CLP on a gun that was previously oiled with RemOil. Make sure there is no excess oil you should be good to go.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:51 AM   #3
TMA-1

I pretty much use them interchangeably, carrying a small Rem-oil bottle in my range bag, and using CLP when doing maintenance at home. Never had any problems using one on top of the other.

No real reason for using two brands, as I consider them to be "different but equal" in terms of effective lubrication. Each just happened to be the one on sale when I needed a new bottle.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:03 PM   #4
berettaprofessor

No
Old January 27, 2013, 02:00 PM   #5
REM1

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all your help.

REM1
Old January 28, 2013, 09:15 AM   #6
stubbicatt

Pretty sure they both have teflon, which I understand turns to a powerful toxin when exposed to open flame.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:29 PM   #7
REM1

Yes they both have teflon. I didn't know this. It's listed on Breakfree CLP bottles/cans as PTFE. I spoke with Safariland today and they said it is highly recommended to strip anyway the remoil because the two products are not compatible, although a lot of people dont. One of the concerns they mentioned is that very small particles of moisture can get trapped between the products becuase of this difference and by stripping and applying a fresh coat will eliminate this possibility. Remington told me that it is ok to use breakfree clp, but they can't recommend using it on their trigger assembly because they beleive it has a higher content of teflon. Anyway, this is what I was told from the manufacturers. However being OEM manufacturers they need do follow a set protocol. Nothing speaks more from mass experience, however when safety matters I always err and follow towards safety.

Thank you yes they both have a form of teflon.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:26 AM   #8
MarkDozier

RemOil sucks. I much perfer CLP. I never have used Remoil on my guns. I have used ot only when the owner of the gun i was helping with said they like it.
personally I think it sucks and will never be in my house.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:54 PM   #9
publius

no
Old January 31, 2013, 07:03 PM   #10
REM1

Thank you for your response