The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 4, 2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Dr Big Bird PhD

FTE: Failure to Eject, UPDATED

Edit: Images below in 2nd post

So today at the range I took my AR15 out. 5.56 1:7 16" barrel. Once I went through a 10 round magazine without any FTE, others it was once ever 2 or 3 shots. The spent case was getting stuck in the chamber while the bolt was cycling.

I was using Fiocchi 45 grain .223 frangible sinterfire ammo. It was the only ammo they had at my range since all the other .223/5.56 had been eaten alive in the past few weeks. I talked to clerk and he mentioned that this wasn't a surprise to him.

I'm aware that the unfrangible ammo and the low grain count could be the big reason why this was happening, but are other possible reasons this could have happened?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor

Last edited by Dr Big Bird PhD; January 4, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:19 AM   #2
Metal god

I have a few ideas

1) do you shoot alot of steel cased ammo out of the gun ? If so do you clean the chamber really well after ? As I'm sure you know steel cased ammo some times does not seal the chamber completely and you can get blow back and build up in the chamber . When the softer brass expands in the worm dirty-ish chamber the case can stick . This it what helps contribute to wearing of or broken extractors .

2) Bad extractor or spring

3) how did the cases look . I'm just getting in to reloading and I remember reading something about if the neck of the case expands to much it can stick to the (something ) I don't remember I want to say rifling but that does not sound right but there was something about the case expanding to much and sticking .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 4, 2013, 10:30 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

It seems like every election cycle we go through the ammo hoarding with the associated problems.

Extractor, extractor spring, insert and O ring. All are cheap, easy to swap out.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Jimro

First thing to do, clean the heck out of your chamber. Then use some Snap Caps to see about feeding and extraction. If your rifle extracts snap caps just fine, then I doubt it is the extractor or ejector.

Second thing to do, use different ammo to see if that fixes the problem. It may have absolutely nothing to do with the powder charge or bullet weight of the ammo you are using and possibly everything to do with rim geometry. Or it could be the that the ammo wasn't made properly and is too short in the shoulder a little bit which causes more headspace. I don't know, and can't know without inspecting your rifle and the ammo you shot.

Third thing, come back and tell us if different ammo and a clean chamber worked or not.

Jimro
Old January 4, 2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
1) do you shoot alot of steel cased ammo out of the gun ? If so do you clean the chamber really well after ? As I'm sure you know steel cased ammo some times does not seal the chamber completely and you can get blow back and build up in the chamber . When the softer brass expands in the worm dirty-ish chamber the case can stick . This it what helps contribute to wearing of or broken extractors.
Never have used steel case, and wont unless SHTF, but thats different and trivial to think about haha.

Quote:
2) Bad extractor or spring
Leaning towards the spring. The case is always extracting correctly, it is just simply not ejecting out of the port and causing a jam.

Quote:
3) how did the cases look . I'm just getting in to reloading and I remember reading something about if the neck of the case expands to much it can stick to the (something ) I don't remember I want to say rifling but that does not sound right but there was something about the case expanding to much and sticking .
Cases looked fine. All factory ammunition. If its an ammo issue then my ammo just doesn't like Fiocchi or Hornady

Quote:
Extractor, extractor spring, insert and O ring. All are cheap, easy to swap out.
This is what I am leaning towards the most. Attached I provided the specific issue (albeit with live ammo) and the BCG

Updated Analysis is greatly appreciated

Edit: The first image was upside down, fixed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (68.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (124.1 KB, 24 views)
Old January 4, 2013, 10:03 PM   #6
UtopiaTexasG19

How many total rounds does this BCG have on it and how wet are you keeping it?
Old January 4, 2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Metal god

This is two of my most used BCGs

What is that gold stuff on yours ? did you bi-dazzle yours

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 4, 2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Ridge_Runner_5

Could be the spring, buffer, or maybe even underpowered ammo?
Old January 7, 2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Bartholomew Roberts

Your ejector spring is bound up and/or defective. Disassemble the bolt per TM and clean the ejector pin hole out. That may fix it; but I usually go ahead and replace the ejector spring when I do this because it is cheap to buy and replacing the ejector spring is a bit of a pain.

My guess is some of the sintered metal from the frangible rounds has found its way into the ejector pin hole and is binding it.

Your extractor appears to be holding and extracting, so likely not that or buffer or gas. Your bolt face is covered in tiny bits of metal, thus my guess.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Dr Big Bird PhD

Thank you! Does your standard LGS sell ejector springs?
Old January 7, 2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Mrgunsngear

I agree it's an extractor spring/insert issue. I suggest ordering the kit below:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...20%203pack.htm

Then, put the black insert in and replace your spring. Run it. If it runs fine---drive on and never look back.

If it is still not flinging brass as you'd like put the o-ring on it (again, if it runs fine without the o-ring do not use the o-ring) and run it. If it still isn't running perfect like that report back and we'll get you straight.

My guess is the insert/spring will fix it; I'm about 90% sure on that from the pictures/description you've posted here.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Jimro

If you don't want to break down the bolt, soak it in CLP and work it back and forth a bunch. I had carbon build up in an M4 one time that actually stuck the ejector in the recess.

If that doesn't work, a spring replacement is probably mandatory.

Jimro