The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Pahoo

Input needed on Remington-887

One of my Grandson is graduating this year and he has already hit me up for "another" new shotgun, as a graduation present. As friend of mine has a Remington 887, in 12Ga. for sale. It's only a year old and has not been shot much. By chance, I went to Wal-Mart and their was one, on display. After looking it over, have decided that this is a different breed altogether. To be honest with you, I really don't know what to think of it. I'm kind of Old-School and this one did not touch my heart. I know I'm getting older but in this case, am I being too picky? Any and all information would be appreciated. ....

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 24, 2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Chief Brody

Can't say I have personal experience with the 887, but I've heard very few good things about them. They don't have a great reputation at all.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:11 AM   #3
mxsailor803

I'm with you. Those just don't interest me at all. I found a late 70's 870 Wingmaster awhile back that just happened to follow me home. Maybe he should shoot one of these older guns first before wanting the new models?
Old March 25, 2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Waspinator

I know when they first came out, there was a lot of problems with the shells extracting/feeding, if I remember correctly. I researched them in early 2012 and they seemed hit or miss with the reliability.

I handled a couple, one of the "tactical" models and one of the longer, hunting models. To me, they felt cheap... it was a tactile sensation thing. I know there is metal under that plastic armor stuff, but the plastic itself felt like a cheap plastic toy. I just couldn't get past it. I also read that, due to the armor, they are harder to disassemble then standard shotguns, not sure if that is true.

I have read that the later models have addressed the feeding/extracting issues the earlier ones had.. so, that shouldn't be an issue, unless the one he is selling is an earlier serial numbered gun. recent reviews seam to be better then the initial reviews for the 887 series. That said, every time I walk into a gun store, I see several 887's on the used rack.. every time.. so that is kind of telling in itself.

I ended up passing on the 887 and I ended up buying a standard Mossberg 500 that I'm very happy with it.
Old March 25, 2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Pahoo

Starting to see a trend !!

Well, I'm starting to see a trend here and appreciate your objectivity. My Grandson mostly hunts Turkeys and waterfowl. I know that duck hunters are rough on guns. Also, my grandsons are not too committed to cleaning and caring which really gripes me and I know that I'm too picky. Just thought that this one wold take a beating but regardless, has to be reliable. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 25, 2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Fishbed77

The 887 is a pretty pointless offering IMHO.
Old March 25, 2014, 01:21 PM   #7
BigJimP

For a good all around pump gun....I'd pick one of the BPS models / I'm not too thrilled with the Remington offering either, but I have not seen many of them around my local club either.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...er.asp?f1=011B

Browning makes their BPS in a number of configurations...realtree camo, etc..but I just think its a better gun overall in terms of reliability. I've still got the BPS Hunter models, I purchased in the early 80's ....in both a 12ga and a 20ga....and they've been thru 2 boys, and now several grandkids.

( it aggravates me that my kids don't keep their guns clean / maintained as well...)...but like with any present, its theirs ...and if they destroy it, there won't be another one coming out of my checkbook ! But I don't know what to tell you about that../ BPS models in my area are selling for around $ 700 - $800 last I looked. If they take care of it, a BPS will live on in the family for at least 3 or 4 generations - mechanically at least / mine probably have close to 500,000 shells thru them by now...mostly clays and upland birds.
Old March 30, 2014, 06:02 AM   #8
phwe9774

I've fired quite a few different shotguns in few different configurations (Mossberg 500 for hunting, HD and military, Remingtons, etc). My personal favorite is the Browning BPS stalker in 12ga. I'm not exactly tall (I'm only 5'8") but the BPS fits me better than any other shotgun I've held. More importantly though, it shoots like a champ. I've put 600-700 shells through it I'm all types of weather and it hasn't failed me yet. Being left handed, I love the bottom ejection other than the fact it doesn't seem like you can "combat" load. It's not my go-to home defense weapon so I can overlook that minor problem.
Old March 30, 2014, 07:37 AM   #9
jmr40

There are a lot of options for good pumps. The 887 doesn't appear to be one of them.

The 870, Browning and Benelli Nova are all good proven choices that I like. As is the Mossberg, which I don't personally care for. But it does work.