Yes, without a doubt. That's why I carry. 51 62.20%
No, my CCW is only for my and my family's safety. 9 10.98%
I would intervene physically, but not with my gun. 11 13.41%
I don't go into places I cannot legally carry with my gun. 11 13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 26, 2005, 09:07 PM   #26
bugmantrap

ex cops opinion

How about an ex cops opinion on this one?
The average gun fight involving a police officer takes 2.3 seconds at a distance of three feet. Got time to think? In reallity, you react to the situation at hand, most of the time without thought of the consiquences. (SP) sporry.
The man was killing another human being no other way to put it. Tv? might as well choose a brand if you have that much time. Pepper spray? Most states requrie a LTC to carry it and half the time it wouldn't stop a determined gopher. As to hand to hand, LOL. lots a luck hope you have good hospitalization insurance, the guys got a knife, you know a deadly weapon and he obviously intended to do bodily harm to anyone in stricking distance. Congrats Old timer we need more people of your nerve and intestinal fotitude
My Two Cents Trapper
Old August 26, 2005, 09:46 PM   #27
swmike

Shoot/No-Shoot? Knife= No Question--Shoot.

I carry and have WA CPL. It goes with me everywhere. Since I have few dealings with the courts, don't drink anymore, and no longer travel by air (retired), the weapon is with me at all times. If faced with the same circumstances, I would take my chances of being charged with a felony versus allowing someone to be stabbed to death. I would be more than happy to take my chances with a jury on this one.

I spend lots of time with shoot/no-shoot simulations and lots of range time. Hope I never have to put it to the test but given the same set of cicumstances as the NM gentleman, I would act similarly. Hopefully with the same results. Fortunately, Washington State laws give a little more latitude. Preventing bodily harm that could result in death is one of those "affirmative defense" clauses in our law.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old August 26, 2005, 09:55 PM   #28
Ichiro

SW Mike, you've got my respect. Wish there were more like you.

~Ichiro
Old August 26, 2005, 10:03 PM   #29
Doug.38PR

I voted "I don't carry my gun where it is illegal." But, if (and maybe this is what you are asking) say I were talking on the cell phone and got out of the car and walked into a say courthouse or post office and didn't realize I didn't take my gun off and saw an incident involving a deadly attack then YES I would pull the gun and use it if need be. If the Law is idiotic enough to punish me for doing the right thing then then fine. I'll let a jury hear it. There is always the option of Jury Nullification (even though many judges and other legal officials don't like people to know about that option because it takes control out of the government's hands and into the jury which was what our leaders of early america intended ) If it doesn't work out the way it ought to, well I let God be responsible for what happens. I person's life will have been saved and the system would have once again made itself look foolish.
Old August 27, 2005, 01:14 AM   #30
Ingram

When I get a ccw it will be for my protection only. Any strangers in danger? Well thats their problem, maybe if they stopped imposing laws on us lawful gun owning citizens and making us look like villians I would be more inclined to help out. First and foremost I would think about myself and my friends and family. I am not going to take any risk in protecting a stranger; who knows what strange law or incident could cause it to bite back at you.

If god wanted her to live, he would have put someone like the 72 year old in that position, not me. I doubt I will ever have to make that choice, but I will be prepared for it anyway. If I am able to run for cover and call for the police, I will do that first. We all have to look out for our own skin sometimes.
Old August 27, 2005, 01:21 AM   #31
Twycross

I would have to play it by ear, keeping in mind: a) survival of the victim, and b) keeping my CCW (which, by the way, I do not have yet). If the BG is 15 feet away, flailing around with a 1-inch pocketknife, I would probably try to take him down without drawing. If the BG is 15 yards away, about to make the killing strike, that is a whole other matter, which would almost certainly mean drawing, and considering the legal ramifications later. In any case, by my book, not helping is not an option. The survival of innocent victims tops all else.

Last edited by Twycross; August 27, 2005 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Addition after reading the previous post.
Old August 27, 2005, 02:50 AM   #32
Doc Hardball

Tough call, instinct would kick in, hopefully, and I would do the right thing. Last time I checked Oregon law I have the right to use a firearm to prevent a felony violent crime against another party if there is no other apparent way to stop it.

Meanwhile, I might suggest that some of you read "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob.
Old August 27, 2005, 07:46 AM   #33
gddyup

Not actually being in that situation, it;s hard to say. My first reaction would be "Hell yeah I would shoot!" and I have absolutly no qualms about doing so if needed. Putting rounds down range is an absolute last option and that may have been the case here, but who's to say since none of us were actually there and under those circumstances.

I applaud this gentleman for doing what he did and saving a life that day. He chose the option that was the safest for him and the victim. He did what needed to be done which was to stop the agrressor. I think that's the number one thing out of this. Stop the aggressor, ANY way possible.

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein