The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
DarthNul

Good compact auto for a full-size auto fan?

I'm in the market for a semi-auto pistol more suited to carrying than my full size guns are. I'm thinking compact and single stack. I don't want to go all the way to subcompact.

I'm looking for suggestions.

I want a double-action/single-action with a decocker, good (large-ish) sights and a decent trigger. I really like the Sig 239 tactical, but I don't want to spend $900 right now. I'm thinking 9mm Luger is my preferred caliber. I'd consider .380 if everything else was perfect but I don't want to go there otherwise.

I like frame mounted decockers better than slide mounted ones. I want to get three fingers around the grip instead of just two.

I don't need "cocked & locked" capability or hi-cap magazines. Double-action-only is a non-starter. I used to have a Sig P250 compact and got rid of it for that reason. I tend to buy several magazines for each of my guns so reasonably priced mags are desirable (unlike the $60+ prices on FN mags IF I can find any...)

I'm very familiar with the full size Sig P226, FN-P45, Beretta 92-FS, Witness Elite Match (CZ75 clone), 1911 and Springfield XD. I also have a FEG PA-63 which I think is a real good size but the sights suck (big time).

So what should I be putting in the search box on gunbroker.com?
Old January 7, 2013, 09:47 PM   #2
oldandslow

dn, 1/8/12

Tough set of requirements to meet. How about a Sig 225- it's 9mm DA/SA,, single stack and should have the decocker on the frame. There are a couple on Gunbroker with bids in the mid-$400's and should sell for a good bit cheaper than a Sig 239.

If you're willing to go to a double stack mag the CZ-PCR is a DA/SA 9mm with a frame mounted decocker and alloy frame which points and carries well. Prices are usually reasonable. I don't see any on GB right now as they may be selling out with the recent hysteria.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions. Good luck.

Best wishes- oldandslow
Old January 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #3
shootsafe

CZ 2075BD

Not easy to get, but, based on what you want this could work.

Shootsafe
Old January 7, 2013, 10:06 PM   #4
orionengnr

Perhaps if you told us what you currently own, carry and like...we could have a starting point, and some ideas where to go from there.

Given that many people use terms loosely, I would say that an HK P7 would be worth a look. It is definitely not a DAO, has an incredible trigger, and the unique squeeze-cock mechanism is equivalent to a de-cocker requiring no real conscious effort to make safe.

The only downsides are that a) they are not easy to find at your price point and b) they are only available in 9mm. Yes, they made a very few .380s and a few .40s, but now you are talking $2.5k or more.

Edited to add: I have owned and shot/carried several Para LDA pistols. The have single stack models, they make 9s and .45acp (maybe .40 as well) and once again, their trigger action almost defines a standard description.

I read your initial post twice, and am trying to give a few "out of the box"
suggestions. Both of these pistols have the same trigger stroke every shot. The LDA has a manual safety/de-cocker.

I have owned both, and each is a unique approach to the age old problem. If you get the chance to handle one or both, who knows?

Happy hunting.

Last edited by orionengnr; January 7, 2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added info
Old January 7, 2013, 11:51 PM   #5
DarthNul

orionengnr: Thanks for the reply. I own and occasionally carry all the guns that I said I was familiar with in the opening post. I don't carry around the house, and even though I work for a family that owns one of the largest gun retailers in the USA, I cannot carry at work. I'm looking for something smaller so I can carry more often, but I can't/don't need to carry 24/7.

To me, double-action/single-action means it works like my Sig P226 or FN-P45: when it's not cocked, I can pull the trigger and it'll shoot and then stay cocked for the next shot. I'm not talking about a trigger with a slight camming action that requires the gun to be ~94% cocked prior to pulling the trigger.

I could live with a slide mounted de-cocker like my Beretta 92 has, but I prefer it to be on the frame.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:07 AM   #6
oldandslow

DN, 1/8/12

Since you mentioned that you could possibly live with a frame mounted decocker then that opens up a host of nice 9mm DA/SA carry pistols. Some examples are the SW 3rd gen guns, reliable and accurate and can be had for good prices. Take a look at the SW 6904 or 6906- an excellent 12 round alloy framed DA/SA pistol (I've carried both). Also the Beretta 92 compact comes in both a double stack (13 round) or single stack configuration (the single stack is hard to find as are the mags). I have the double stack 92 compact and it fits my medium-large hands well. Price was about $430 three months ago off Gubroker. Beretta also made the mini-cougar offerings in 9mm, I think it was the model 8000 which can be had for reasonable prices.

So at least you have a few options to consider. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

ps- there is a nice 92 compact for $448 on GB from Coles dist. where I got mine. They have good prices and service. There are Beretta mini-cougar 8000's for sale on GB for $400-600.

Last edited by oldandslow; January 8, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:55 AM   #7
chris in va

You would *love* the CZ P01. It does everything the older 75 series can, but with better ergonomics and is lighter. Put a HiViz sight on it, voila.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:09 AM   #8
testuser

I'd say...

Walther P99C with AS Trigger (traditional DA/SA in a polymer pistol)
CZ P-01/CZ P-06
Beretta PX4 Storm Compact
Old January 8, 2013, 08:10 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

+1 on the pcr. seems to have everything you want.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 8, 2013, 10:20 AM   #10
DocHopper

I have been looking for the same. I saw comment on the pcr and started looking around, couldnt find any but I did find the sar b6 compact and the canik 100 compact both look like what I want. Look alot like PCR. I have handled both(felt great in my hand) but not fired either. Commentary seems to be favorable. Prices SAR 302. at lgs and canik 299. at Academy. Probably my next purchase.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:39 AM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
I'm thinking compact and single stack... I want a double-action/single-action with a decocker, good (large-ish) sights and a decent trigger. I really like the Sig 239 tactical, but I don't want to spend $900 right now. I'm thinking 9mm Luger is my preferred caliber... I like frame mounted decockers better than slide mounted ones. I want to get three fingers around the grip instead of just two.
Other than the frame-mounted decocker, you just described a S&W 39-series. See my replies in the following recent thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511438

The aforementioned M6904 and M6906 are basically similar to the M3914 and M3913 respectively, just double-stack with 12+1rd capacity rather than single-stack with 8+1rd capacity.
Quote:
I'd consider .380 if everything else was perfect but I don't want to go there otherwise.
If you want to go this route, a Beretta 85F or 85FS meets your criteria perfectly. FYI the only difference is that the FS has a modified decocker/safety mechanism that eliminates a false detent between the SAFE and FIRE settings. The 85F is just as safe to carry and operate, but the shooter needs to remember to always push the levers through all the way.

The 84-series is double-stack and substantially thicker through the grip but otherwise similar. The earlier no-suffix, B-, and BB-series Berettas have a "cocked and locked" safety and a half-cock position rather than a decocker/safety and no half-cock.

One issue, however, is that aftermarket support for the 84/85 is nowhere near as extensive as most of the other pistols mentioned.

Last edited by carguychris; January 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old January 8, 2013, 09:54 PM   #12
wheelyfun

I think the Sig P220 Compact SAS meets your requirements (except maybe price....)

6+1 rounds of 45 ACP
Accurate, tight fit and finish, and super reliable!

Matter of fact.....pm me for a great price on this one!!
Old January 8, 2013, 10:18 PM   #13
WVsig

Check out the Sig P228 or the newer Sig P229 I prefer the P228 because it balances in my hand better. Think smaller P226.

If you are looking for a single stack look at the P225. I know where there are some really choice P6 which is a contract surplus gun for $400. Not as low as the good old days when you could get them for $300 but not to bad in todays market. These are mini P220s in 9mm.

My budget choice would be a Sig SP2022 .... If you do not mind a poly frame this is a great choice which can still be had for around $400 NIB.

CZ P01 as others have said fits the bill....

Old January 10, 2013, 06:17 AM   #14
Pilot

I've carried a CZ-75D PCR for abut 12 years, and it replaced a Sig P228 which still sits in the safe. Yes, it is that good. The P-01 is another fine choice.