The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 24, 2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Jack_Bauer24

CLEO Signoofs Near Gone

Saw this and thought I'd share it. This is from the Senior Editor & Pres of the NFATCA.

"I am pleased to report that all branches and offices within ATF have given the official okey dokey to eliminating the CLEO signature requirements for NFA Forms. This includes Counsel's office and the National Sheriffs' Association! The package has been sent on to the Department of Justice with recommendation for approval. The package will include:

1.Elimination of CLEO signature requirement.
2.Institution of CLEO "notification" similar to an FFL application. (A copy of the form will be sent to the CLEO as opposed to asking for permission.)
3.Trusts and LLC's and corps will still be available for use.
4.In the event of #3, a NICS check will be required when the weapon is physically transferred.
Unknown is whether the Citizenship Compliance form will be eliminated and merged into the various NFA forms instead of being a separate nuisance. ATF is leaning toward elimination."

The NFATCA has been working for several years to make this happen. I am proud to say that we have pushed this agenda item further with better results than we ever have before. ATF and its various branches have reviewed all of the potential issues and suggestions that we have presented. At this point, ATF has actually submitted the issue to the Department of Justice for final approval. We have never been able to get this issue out of ATF's "universe" before. At this point, it could be a matter of weeks or months before we receive final approval. I am hoping that the timing of the November release of several updated NFA forms is a good coincidence. That was the long answer. The short answer is yes, the process is in full swing.

Jeff Folloder
NFA Trade and Collectors Association
Direct: 281.492.8288

Last edited by Jack_Bauer24; January 25, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old January 24, 2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Joat

Nice.
In the age of interconnected data bases and information depositories, a clerk in West VA can tell if there is something that "prevents" you from owning NFA items as easy, or easier, than your local LE.

Kind of like a federal "shall issue" for NFA items.

Joat
Old January 24, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
armoredman

Interesting, nice.
Old January 24, 2011, 04:10 PM   #4
goodspeed(TPF)

That all sounds good to me.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 26, 2011, 10:50 PM   #5
GeorgeF

I can only hope - this would be great. Especially for anyone who has had to ask someone like the current Sheriff of Montco for a signoff. I tried that once (when I thought he was the one I had to go to) and I was told 'The Sheriff will not sign - he doesn't believe in private ownership of full auto weapons.'

As someone else has pointed out, this was perhaps necessary way back in the day when no means of automated background check was available. A local sheriff would be necessary to verify whether an applicant was a goodie or a baddie. Nowadays the CLEO signoff is anachronistic and its about time to go.
Old January 27, 2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Skans

This would be AWSOME news! I might even consider purchasing a silencer - always wanted one....just didn't want to set up a trust to get one. Most machineguns are priced out of my means to pay - so, oh well.