The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Are you a
Female? 4 4.08%
Male? 94 95.92%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 3, 2015, 07:22 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

I've been a member here for a little less than a decade and not always active. I have noticed a marked increase in posts made by openly/claiming to be female or signing with a female name in the last year. It was a real rarity to see a post by a female besides Pax the first few years I was here. Probably half related to buying a gift of some sort.
Old April 3, 2015, 08:38 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

male, joined the forum in 2006.

I don't know how it would relate to the statistics you are looking for, but there is another category of female gun owner that you won't find in the kind of data you are looking at.

Those are the women that don't go to gun stores to buy guns, don't take training classes, don't belong to organized groups, or online gun forums.

Women who learned guns and shooting from family members, grew up with them, but are not enthusiasts to the level of competing, or joining clubs, etc.

Call them "country girls" or something else, you won't find them in buyer, or training data. Some of them will be in the CCW permit data, most won't, but they do have a gun, or maybe 3.

And a pretty good idea, generally, of how to use it!

I have a wife, and a daughter like that. Neither is especially interested in guns, but they know what to do, if the need arises. My daughter regularly shot better than her boyfriend..
Old April 4, 2015, 07:32 AM   #28
2damnold4this

Interesting thread. NPR's Morning Edition recently ran an article on changing attitudes among African Americans with regards to firearm ownership and concealed carry which included Detroit's new police chief endorsing lawful carry. It would be interesting to see a paper describing the change in attitudes and ownership of firearms among different demographic groups.
Old April 4, 2015, 09:06 AM   #29
Ike666

I caught that story when it aired. Certainly a refreshing change.

Although it seems that a lot of law enforcement officers are supportive of 2A issues and civilian ownership, in a very general sense, the further up the chain of command they rise the more they are compelled to a take a stand against things like Constitutional carry.

The International Association of Chiefs of Police is openly hostile to civilian ownership. Here in Virginia, the Superintendent of the VSP is frequently tasked with lobbying in favor of more restrictive gun laws.

The issue of Black citizens arming themselves, legally, still gives pause to many here in the South. Many of us forget the first gun control laws were written with the intention of restricting gun ownership among newly freed slaves during the Jim Crow era.

In writing up her thesis, my student noted that the typical gun owner was a middle-aged, working to middle class, white male. I told her that sounded like a stereotype and her response, "Doc its a stereotype for a reason."
Old April 4, 2015, 06:02 PM   #30
rickyrick

I like 44 Amp's point... My ex and oldest daughter fall into that class...
My Ex shot better than many men... But had no real interest in guns outside of defense and occasional informal practice
Old April 6, 2015, 03:01 PM   #31
Banger357

44 Amp knows what's up. That's where I'm at, I've never NOT had guns. Once I started working in the industry I started spending time on forums and at ranges and eventually became an instructor before I remembered I don't like people and I'm better suited to interpersonal relationships which allow me to hang up them if necessary.