The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 7, 2000, 09:51 PM   #1
mm27

Buying a Sprinfield 1911 A1. missing rea sight.
I will replace with Novack low profile,as I'm sure that was what original sights were.
Does a set screw hold this sight in place,if so I think I could install myself, with some guidance from this forum.
Many thanks in advance.
Old December 7, 2000, 09:59 PM   #2
joebogey

The Springfield loaded series do come with Novack sites. Yes they are held in place with a set screw and you should have no problem installing them your self. Just remember that the novacks are bad to lose the set screw when shooting. That is probably what happened to the originals. When you install the new sites, put a drop of BLUE locktite on the set screw and you should have no problems. If your gun also has the full length guide rod you may have the same problem as with the sites. Go ahead and put a drop of locktite on the threads of the guide rod as well. Happy shootin.
Old December 13, 2000, 09:11 AM   #3
Bullshooter

Along the same lines...

I have a Springfield Armory "Loaded" M1911A1 with the Novak rear sights. I don't care too much for them and was wondering if the dovetail that's milled into the slide is "standard". Could I retrofit an adjustable sight from Millett or Bomar? I've had to tighten the set screw several times and it's a PITA because, of course, it's generally way off.
Old December 13, 2000, 09:29 AM   #4
BBBBill

Not Standard

Nope. You'll have to use a Novak, MMC adjustable, or one of the Heinie's cut to fit the Novak dovetail. To solve your loose sight, use a bit of blue locktite after cleaning off all oil & residue. You can also use a prick punch to kick up a burr or 2 in the bottom of the dovetail.
Sights should always be measured individually before cutting & the dovetail cut to fit. For a replacement sight, it would usually be preferable to do the fitting on the sight (cheaper part) & touch up the finish.
The problem is not the sight. Springfield was just a little too generous with the cut when they milled the slide. You could take it up with them & they might replace the sight with one hand selected for tighter fit or replace your slide with one that hasn't got that problem. Call them up. I have always had outstanding service from them.
Old December 15, 2000, 08:00 PM   #5
mm27

On time,fit perfect.

Called Springfield Armory 12-8-00 placed order for Novak rear sight.They informed me that I may have to file the sight for proper fit,but that was not the case as it fit perfect.It also arrived the day they said it would.