The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 6, 2011, 08:19 PM   #51
wingman

I have a hoe( agricultural tool) that is called the snake hoe has many notches on her handle, rattlesnakes,copperhead, coil, etc. I sharpen it once a year don't like to waste ammo on snakes.
Old October 6, 2011, 08:46 PM   #52
ritepath

I leave rattlers alone, shoot the coyotes.
Old October 7, 2011, 10:38 AM   #53
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Lot closer to a rattle snnnnnnnake then I ever want to get!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old October 7, 2011, 11:05 AM   #54
tahunua001

Quote:
Lot closer to a rattle snnnnnnnake then I ever want to get!
this one agrees with crusty deary ol coot.
Old October 7, 2011, 04:47 PM   #55
Buzzcook

Saw an advertisement on a vet's office, offering "rattlesnake vaxc". I'd never heard of a need to vaccinate snakes, so it must have meant a vaccine against snake bite.

Has anyone heard of this?
http://www.redrockbiologics.com/

imho leave snakes alone unless they're in the yard.
Old October 7, 2011, 10:08 PM   #56
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

A vaccine against venom? Nope. I do hope that vet's office sign had a duck on top going "quack quack" .

Seriously, I don't believe there is any such thing, although most mammals can be partially immunized by injecting small but ever increasing amounts of venom into them. They gradually produce proteins that block the effects of the venom.

Dr. Bill Haast, director and founder of the Miami Serpentarium, pioneered the technique for humans, and horses have been used for decades by Wyeth Laboratories in this manner to develop antivenin. The side effects could be fatal to people, and Wyeth no longer produces it, but a newer, safer version has been developed by another company.

It's a long, tricky and dangerous process, and it's further complicated by the fact that each species of rattlesnake produces its own, unique venom. What works for one species won't necessarily work for another.

(Disclaimer: It's been several decades since I've been actively involved with venomous reptiles, so I won't say it's impossible, but I still doubt it.)

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 8, 2011, 09:19 PM   #57
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I dug into this a little bit, and I stand thoroughly corrected. It appears that an effective vaccine HAS been developed and is based loosely on the procedure I described above.

On the one hand, I'm happy that such a vaccine has been developed, and on the other.... well, let's just say that my foot doesn't taste that good .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 10, 2011, 11:10 PM   #58
Steel Talon

Here in AZ we have several species some with hemotoxins others with neurotoxins. Some that are plain cranky and continue to press their ground.

I keep my yards,the barn, and general areas picked up and pest free as best as I can. I do not actively go out and hunt rattlers, but I will terminate everyone I come across. In my little slice of the state. Mohave's are the primary rattler species. They are very bull headed and are extremely poisonous. Neurotoxin AKA "Mohave Toxin"

We have plenty of other Non dangerous snakes around that can handle the rats, mice, "small rodents"

Other dangerous reptiles we have include The coral snake, Mexican Beaded lizard, and the Gila Monster these last two are far and few between and are protected (rightfully so)