The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 21, 2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Paul B.

Tex, you're gonna love that Whelen. I have three, a Ruger M77, Remington M700 Classic and a custom built on an Oberndorf Mauser. The custon has a 1 in 14" twist and the others 1 in 16". (UGH!) Still all three will stabilize 250 gr. bullets without any problem.
You did mention Paco kelly's article and good luck evr finding that mold (Lyman #3589 or #358009 to use the new number.) It's been discontinued for years. I found one in a gun shop's junk box for $25 and that mold bring in three figure paychecks on E-bay. Mine does have a problem in that the gas check shank it too small. Over on Cast Boolits some of us did a group buy from David Mos fffor a #3589 clone we called 3589I, the "I" for improved. We had him put a small flat on the nose for a bit more potential thump.
Paco's load data seems to be a bit on the very warm side but his 53.0 gr./250 gr. bullet load has proved safe in my three rifles. Yes, I did drop back and work up. My pet load though for the custom mauser is 60.4 r. of Re15 and the 225 gr. barned TSX> CAUTION: Drop back at lest two full grand=s and work up. The load is safe in the Mauser but is too hot for the Ruger and Remington. Accuracy run from .50" to .75" depending on how well I'm shooting that day. I've only shot two elk with that load and both dropped on the spot, one in very spectacular fashion.
I'll have to epeat myself. You're gonna love that Whelen.
Paul B.