The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2005, 06:08 PM   #1
38splfan

Lookin' fer a recipe

Howdy to all,

I'm bored, so I need a new recipe.
I'd like to know if anyone has any good suggestions for .38spl. blackpowder cowboy loads.
Just for something unique to try, since I have a grocery sack of .38 brass stuffed in the reloading desk
Anybody got a good'un?
Old June 18, 2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I've never tried this. My guess is you can't stuff the case with enough BP to reach dangerous pressures, but I don't know it for a fact. Rather than guess, check the Goex Black powder loading chart. They put 23 grains of BP under a 160 grain cast bullet in the .38 Special. http://www.goexpowder.com/load-chart.html

Nick
Old June 18, 2005, 07:35 PM   #3
38splfan

Thanks.

I've tinkered a bit with BP rifle rounds (.47-70) but not with pistols.
That sounds like sound advice, and I'll give the GOEX chart a read.
Thankee much.
Old June 18, 2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

.38Spl, you are going to need a soft lube and plenty of it to keep the fouling down. My experience is with a .36 C&B. You ain't gonna get enough fffg into the .38 Spl case to hurt anything, and you need enough to be slightly compressed. A grease cookie between the powder and bullet would reduce the amount of powder and help keep the fouling soft.
Old June 18, 2005, 10:57 PM   #5
38splfan

Thank you.

'preciate it.
I'm thinkin' a bit o' research is in order before I start, but I feel pretty confident that I can put out some good, safe cowboy loads.
I'll definitely remember the grease cookies, as I don't really want to pack a case with anything Nervous I guess....

Has anyone here tried the Goex cowboy powders? I saw them on their page and they are designed to be used with brass cases and modern bullets/primers.