The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 15, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1
macscott

Any Dealings w/ West Coast Machinegun in OR??

Howdy All,

I'm signed in as a Newbie, but go back a ways in the firearms industry. In fact, back in the '90s, I was a moderator on the 'Smithy forum here.

That being said, has anyone had any dealings with the aforementioned Class III dealer, West Coast Machineguns, Inc., in Cottage Grove, Oregon? I'd be curious as to whether the transaction went smoothly...or at all... and how you were treated.

I've had recent dealings with this shop, but will withhold my comments on it until some responses are posted. Want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks,

----Mac Scott
Old September 16, 2010, 06:29 AM   #2
macscott

2nd Request For Info On This Dealer

Still looking for anyone who's had any dealings with West Coast Machineguns in Cottage Grove, Oregon. Surely there're some people on this forum who've done business there. I'd really like your take on your experience(s).

For info, I've recently purchased (and received) a Gemtech Blackside suppressor, in .45 ACP, from this outfit. The deal and transfer went smoothly. Problem arose, however, when I dropped off a Marlin Camp Carbine for muzzle threading/sight relocation to accept this suppressor. A promised turnaround of two weeks has turned into three months, with the proprietor failing to respond to numerous email and phone requests for information on the project. Three separate visits to the shop, on different days at different times, have found the lights on, someone inside, door locked and no response to repeated knocking.

Yesterday, on a fourth unsuccessful visit (a 175 mile round-trip!) I checked in with the city police department and learned that mine was the 4th or 5th "complaint" in the past two weeks, mostly from people with guns inside who couldn't reclaim them. According to the P.D., ATF has now gotten involved.

Not trying to badmouth a dealer here...I've held an FFL myself since 1969 and know the hassles involved. There does seem, however, to be something unsavory brewing here that those involved in NFA transactions in this area should be made aware of.

----Mac Scott
Old September 16, 2010, 11:26 AM   #3
GoingQuiet

You are asking this question in the wrong spot.

If you go onto the Subguns.com discussion boards you will probably get a much better return on your post.
Old September 16, 2010, 11:44 AM   #4
macscott

Thanks. I'll give subguns.com a try.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
dajowi

I purchase a MAC-10 years ago from Valiant Arms Machineguns when it was owned by Lou. I too have both traveled to and emailed the folks at West Coast Machineguns. I've never received a reply to any inquiry I've made, nor been able to catch the shop when it was opened. I too have doubts about this company. If you go to their website you'll notice that it hasn't been updated and is entirely useless - and it has always been this way.
Old October 10, 2010, 04:47 AM   #6
macscott

>>I purchase a MAC-10 years ago from Valiant Arms Machineguns when it was owned by Lou. I too have both traveled to and emailed the folks at West Coast Machineguns. I've never received a reply to any inquiry I've made, nor been able to catch the shop when it was opened. I too have doubts about this company. If you go to their website you'll notice that it hasn't been updated and is entirely useless - and it has always been this way.
<<

Thanks for the post, Dajowi. For info, this thing still has yet to be resolved. There're apparently now five separate formal complaints, mine included, filed with the local P.D. against WCMG. Three involve NFA weapons. Luckily I took delivery of my suppressor before this all went south, so am "only" out a semi-auto rifle, but it ain't a good way to run a business.

I'll post follow-up info as it's received.

----Mac Scott
Old October 10, 2010, 07:32 AM   #7
VUPDblue

I have nothing constructive to add to your predicament but I had a similar experience with a local dealer myself. My first NFA purchase from a dealer almost turned me off to the whole process but thankfully the issue was resolved. I know how frustrating it is doing business with an unscrupulous dealer, only to find out as such when it is too late. Sorry about your ordeal and I hope it is resolved soon. NFA is a small world and word of mouth regarding crappy dealers will surely ruin his rep in the business....
Old October 10, 2010, 10:06 AM   #8
macscott

I think this guy's rep in the NFA world is already toast...at least locally. Can't figure what makes a person go sideways like this, particularly after jumping through all the hoops to obtain Class III licensure and establish a well-stocked shop.

I'm sure that, ultimately, the Feds will descend upon him from a great height. Hopefully the (at least) five of us who've been screwed so far will get our guns back when the dust settles.
Old October 10, 2010, 10:46 AM   #9
VUPDblue

For your sake, I hope so too. The idiot who went sideways on me ended up in trouble with the Feds. I even got a special visit from BATFE to verify serial numbers (long story).
Old October 10, 2010, 01:46 PM   #10
snipecatcher

My local NFA dealer is a POS too. My first NFA transaction, and nothing but problems. They won't start making your suppressor until you pay for it, and they promised 3-4 months. After numerous visits over a years time, they have finally made it. Then they screwed up and never sent off the paperwork. A few calls to the ATF got that problem resolved. I also payed to have a rifle threaded at the the time, and after witnessing their incompetency, I won't give them one of my rifles to be threaded. They REFUSE to refund any money, so I had to have them order something with my money at their inflated prices. They even managed to screw that up. It's been almost 3 months since I had them order my Buckmark pistol, and I still don't have it. If you live near Corpus Christi, TX, you know who I'm talking about...
Old October 10, 2010, 06:15 PM   #11
dajowi

I've been trying to sell the MAC-10 for sometime now and have had absolutely no luck. One out of state NFA dealer was going to charge me the $400 transfer fee for gun and suppressor that I was trying to sell. Two Oregon dealers never bothered to respond to my inquiry one way or another and a third after initial contact and email has failed to return communication.

I thought buying the MAC was difficult. As it turns out I can't even sell it at a price (which when compared to other similar packages) is basically a steal. I was given the impression that the MAC-10 was an investment sure to increase in value. What I have is an expensive toy that I don't shoot and can't sell.

Mac did some work for me sometime back on a little Colt .380 which I have since sold, (I sure wish I hadn't).

There is a great article about Mac in the September/October 2010 edition of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER.
Old October 11, 2010, 12:08 AM   #12
macscott

>>Mac did some work for me sometime back on a little Colt .380 which I have since sold, (I sure wish I hadn't).

There is a great article about Mac in the September/October 2010 edition of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER.
<<

I'm told that since my business partner, Doug McDougall, died in 2004, there seems to be a bit of a "cult" following of our Scott, McDougall & Associates custom pistols. If the email inquiries I get concerning our old builds are any indication, that just might be so. Leaving both you and I wishing we'd hung onto a bunch of SM&A guns.

As for that AH article, I thought it was read only by Roy Huntington and Massad Ayoob. Strange how something you did over forty years ago can still come back to bite you.

Attempting to keep this thread on an NFA level, can you tell us what you're trying to get out of the suppressed MAC-10? Or PM or email me ([email protected]) if you're more comfortable with that.

Best,

----Mac Scott
Old October 11, 2010, 09:43 AM   #13
dajowi

As far as the MAC-10 .45 I'm trying to sell, it is an original Powder Springs model with a M-10 MAC suppressor which I've been told by various persons is worthless - wish I knew that before I bought it. I also have ten 30 round mags. To be up front the only issue with the MAC is that the threads on the barrel have been dinged up and the suppressor cannot be threaded to the barrel. I'm looking for $2500 but I'd surely be willing to consider a lower price or trade for a couple of non-NFA guns.