The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 9, 2001, 11:28 AM   #1
swampy

I have a Ruger P-89 SS (9mm)with realibility that will rival any AK and "combat" accuracy. I mounted an Optima red dot to improve the sight picture, but, even with a variety of reloads and commercial ammo, the group size at 25 yards firing SA only is not going to shame Sig 210s any time soon! For several reasons, I would like to improve its accuracy even though the resale value of the pistol does not justify doing so. However, after searching the internet and the book shelves, I haven't found helpful information for improving accuracy in the P series pistols. Seems people buy them and, other than a trigger job or sight change, they leave them stock. Anyone have any information on improving the accuracy of this pistol or know where I can find such information? Anyone know anyone that has accurized a P series? If so, what did they do to improve the accuracy (measured by group size at 25 yards)? Thanks.
Old February 9, 2001, 02:05 PM   #2
Master Blaster

Here is a thought. I have heard that HK usp is acccurate because it has a rubber o ring around the barrel that acts like a 1911 bushing in a 1911. I am not sure how this works detail wise since i dont own a usp. I do own a p89 which I have put 2000+ rounds through. Its accuracy is good at 15 yards but the groups open up at 25. it seems that this gun needs some type of bushing for the barrel to slide fit, to ensure repeatable consistant lock up, maybe it could be adjusted by fitting the front of the square chamber to the slide better????. The barrel in my p89 is very tight to the slide, but something is lacking in the consistancy of the lock up that affects accuracy.

I have never fired the gun from a ransom rest though... so it could be my skill that is lacking and not the gun.
Old February 9, 2001, 02:40 PM   #3
beemerb

P series accuracy

The only thing I have heard about getting better accuracy from the P series are from people that where unhappy and sent them back to the Prescott plant where they are made.They then handfit and get much better accuracy.I don't know of anyone doing much work on them.I put a lot of work and money into one till I finaly gave up and sold it.Mine was real bad(8'at 20yrds).I got discourged and didn't even try the ruger plant.