The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 29, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Buckeye4255

Which 1911?

Talked to my local guy at the GS. Was asking him about prics on a couple of 1911's I've been looking at and he told me either one would run me around $1K. So I'd like some input from folks who own/owned/shot either of these 2 pistols.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/co...s-pro-carry-ii

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/Colt...XSESeries.aspx

The Colt I'm looking at is the LW Commander ( which comes with the night sights already). He told me he could get the night sights for the Kimber for around $100 and he wouldn't charge me anything to put them on. They seem pretty comparable in all areas, but i'm just wondering about reliability, warranty, customer sevice if there happens to be any problems, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old August 29, 2012, 03:37 PM   #2
loose_holster_dan

colt colt colt!
the kimber is pretty, but i wouldn't want to chance getting one of their many lemons.
all of my colts have been flawless.
all of my kimbers have been finicky.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 29, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Coltman 77

Colt is the real deal and has been making 1911's for a long time. That's the direction I'd go.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old August 29, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Colt.

No further discussion necessary.
Old August 29, 2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah...Kimber is pretty...But you ever had a pretty girl that when you took her home...you know what. Never mind.

Colt..I'd go with the Colt.
Old August 29, 2012, 04:03 PM   #6
BarryLee

The Colt XSE is a very nice gun and I personally would pick it over the Kimber.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 29, 2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Fishbed77

A Colt XSE is on my short-term wishlist!
Old August 29, 2012, 04:10 PM   #8
m82a1

I have two Kimbers (Stainless Target II's), a .45 & 10mm - they've performed flawlessly. I've never owned a Colt so I can't speak to them but I'd imagine they're also a fine gun.

You might want to do some research on manufacturing techniques between the two. I bought my first Kimber around 10 years ago because I liked what I'd read on their manufacturing techniques. I'd imagine Colt has also improved their process from years ago so it might be worth some investigation to see if it influences your like of either brand.

This article gives a bit more info on the Kimber Pro Carry which might be helpful. They site some testing done by the Tacoma Washington PD on the Pro Carry II specifically.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/KimberProCarry.htm
Old August 29, 2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Olympus

I believe Kimber only offers warranty for one year. If it were me, I'd probably choose the Colt.
Old August 29, 2012, 04:36 PM   #10
smokiniron

Which 1911..... Springfield?

A little further comment from the gang requested....

I've been chasing a Springfield 'Loaded', SS, bushed match barrel, adjustable sight, wood grips, etc. I believe it's a stainless version of the Range Officer - which might be a good choice.

Anyone have first-hand experience with either of these guns?
Old August 29, 2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Caz83

Dan wesson's are fantastic 1911's as well. I bought my commander size bobbed 9mm guardian at a gun show for right at $1k which is a rare find but there are diamonds in the rough if u look hard enough.
Old August 29, 2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Olympus

I don't believe the Loaded is considered a stainless version of the RO. They've been making the Loaded model long before the RO was introduced. The RO is supposed to be a TRP without some of the extras.
Old August 29, 2012, 05:52 PM   #13
RJay

Since you asked, I've had a Kimber from the first year they were manufactured, been as reliable and accurate as any gun I've ever owned. In fact it will out shoot most Match 45's it has gone up against.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Colt over Kimber without question.

The Springfield is a nice gun and is a lower end version of the TRP. Out of the two, you really can't go wrong with either. Colt obviously has the best name, but both guns are well made and worth the money. Pick the one that you like the best and you'll be happy with it.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Stuohn

I can not comment to either but, I saw this earlier and it looked like a good deal.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...i-3200190.html
Old August 29, 2012, 08:38 PM   #16
NJgunowner

Sig 1911 nightmare carry.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Hunter Customs

Between the Colt and the Kimber I would choose the Colt hands down.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old August 29, 2012, 09:45 PM   #18
mikejonestkd

I would choose a colt over a Kimber without reservation. In fact, I have bought two newer colts in the past few years and they have been exceptional. One is an XSE combat elite and the other is a stainless gold cup.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:01 PM   #19
Nathan

Colt, but I would go series 70
Old August 29, 2012, 11:01 PM   #20
smokiniron

Olympus, you are correct about the Loaded preceeding the RO. I meant to suggest that to my understanding, they differed mostly in material but were otherwise similar in design. I guess if one of my local shops had a pair, I'd just have to buy one of each to compare!
Old August 30, 2012, 07:26 AM   #21
TacticalDefense1911

Between a Colt and a Kimber the edge would have to go to Colt. The Colt will be looser then the Kimber but has better internals, will hold its value better and Colt 1911's seem to run pretty well out of the box.

The Springfield Loaded is not the same model as the Range Officer and does not have the same attention to detail. The Range Officer gets the attention to detail of the higher end TRP but without all the frills. The Range Officer will be a better made gun then the Loaded.

If you are willing to spend $1k on a 1911 I highly suggest that you take a look at the Dan Wesson Heritage. It is an awesome piece of hardware for right around the $1k mark. Also, you can find lightly used Springfield TRP stainless 1911's for around the $1k mark. These guns will be much better guns then anything you are currently looking at.
Old August 30, 2012, 07:28 AM   #22
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Olympus, you are correct about the Loaded preceeding the RO. I meant to suggest that to my understanding, they differed mostly in material but were otherwise similar in design
The Loaded, Range Officer and TRP all share the same internals but the Range Officer and TRP have more fitting done while finishing the gun.

***Edit*** This is mis-information by me. Apparently, Springfield has two different levels of quality when it comes to their MIM parts. This comes from Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance. See post #26 for further information.

Last edited by TacticalDefense1911; August 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old August 30, 2012, 10:50 AM   #23
Roland Thunder

I was going to buy my first 1911 about a month ago. I had wanted a Colt XSE and could only find a stainless one and I wanted one with a blued finish. The LGS had a blued Colt 1991 and an SA Range Officer. I liked the competition sites on the RO better that the fixed white dot sites on the 1991 so I got the Range Officer and am pretty happy with it. The RO has some features that are on some of the more expensive 1911's (like TRP) and a new RO can be gotten for around $750
Old August 30, 2012, 10:59 AM   #24
smokiniron

The Loaded, Range Officer and TRP all share the same internals but the Range Officer

Code:
The Loaded, Range Officer and TRP all share the same internals but the Range Officer and TRP have more fitting done while finishing the gun.
Tactical...1911

I believe what you said regarding fitting of the internals. But, as an uninformed 1911 buyer, how do I find that out for myself? From casual reading, I'm given to believe that the Loaded is a 'well fitted' very accurate out-of-the-box pistol. How do I get the straight skinny on the various models? BTW, refresh me on 'TRP'. I think I'm not dialed in on that model/configuration.
Thanks!
Old August 30, 2012, 12:04 PM   #25
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
I believe what you said regarding fitting of the internals. But, as an uninformed 1911 buyer, how do I find that out for myself? From casual reading, I'm given to believe that the Loaded is a 'well fitted' very accurate out-of-the-box pistol. How do I get the straight skinny on the various models? BTW, refresh me on 'TRP'. I think I'm not dialed in on that model/configuration.
The Loaded is a solid production gun, but with all production guns they are mostly thrown together from parts that fall "within spec" with minimal fitting. This would describe the Loaded. Sometimes they have issues, sometimes they run just fine. The Loaded will be more accurate then 99% of its operators. As a whole Springfield makes a very nice 1911.

The "TRP" is a more tactical model that has received more attention to parts fit and it also has front strap checkering, ambi safety, night sights, and a magwell to help with speedy reloads. You can also get a TRP "Operator" that has a picatinny rail on the front for lights and lasers. The Operator model also has a bushingless bull barrel which makes the gun quite heavy as well as Bomar cut adjustable rear sights. Hope this helps