The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 9, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Gaz_in_NZ

Cylinder Rotation Colt vs everything else.

Hi,
Probably a bit of a noob question, which I apologize for in advance.

Are Colt revolvers the only ones that the cylinder rotates CW (from the shooters point of view)?

Any advantages or disadvantages of either?

Just curious.

Cheers
G
Old September 9, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Webleymkv

Actually, there are several revolvers which have cylinders that rotate clockwise. Both my Webley Mk. IV and H&R Model 999 Sportsman have cylinders that rotate clockwise. Also, most single action revolvers' cylinders rotate clockwise (including Rugers although their DA revolvers rotate counterclockwise) as does the new S&W Bodyguard .38.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Shotgun693

I guess technically because Colt was first and rotates to the right, everyone else rotates wrong.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Any advantages or disadvantages of either?
Yes, cylinder rotation is based on which side of the equator the gun as designed to be used on.

Clockwise for south of the equator and anti-clockwise for north of the equator. This is due to the Coriolis Effect...

Ok, just kidding, there is no advantage or disadvantage to the direction of the cylinder rotation.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:21 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is basically a designer's choice. When designing a revolver, there is little leeway about what parts are needed - a hand, a cylinder stop, a hammer, etc. When the designer figures out how to get all those in the way he wants, the direction the cylinder turns may well be dictated by how the other parts fit together. For example, if the only place he can put the hand is on the right, the cylinder will turn counter-clockwise, and vice versa.

Jim
Old September 9, 2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Gaz_in_NZ

Thanks guys,
I was under the misapprehension that it was probably just Colts.

Many thanks
Cheers
G
Old September 9, 2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

One advantage to Colt's clockwise rotation was always said that the rotating cylinder rotated into the frame and not outward from the frame.

This supposedly prevents more wear on the cylinder latching system and why Colt's could use only a rear latching design.
Old September 9, 2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Bob Wright

Quote:
.............. and why Colt's could use only a rear latching design.
In the words of that great detective, Charlie Chan, "Explain, please."

Bob Wright
Old September 9, 2012, 08:36 PM   #9
seeker_two

IIRC, Charter Arms revolvers also rotate clockwise....but don't use a rear-latch design....
Old September 9, 2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Webleymkv

Originally posted by Bob Wright
Quote:
Quote:
.............. and why Colt's could use only a rear latching design.

In the words of that great detective, Charlie Chan, "Explain, please."
Colt DA revolvers have only one locking point for the cylinder/crane assembly at the rear of the cylinder. S&W and Ruger DA revolvers lock both at the rear of the cylinder and the end of the ejector rod (most S&W's and Ruger Six Series) or on the crane (Ruger GP100, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, SP101, and LCR).

Originally posted by seeker_two
Quote:
IIRC, Charter Arms revolvers also rotate clockwise....but don't use a rear-latch design....
Actually, they do lock at the rear of the cylinder only similar to a Colt.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:37 PM   #11
warningshot

Everyone knows that the bullets go faster in revolvers with CW spinning cylinders. Who needs the facts when you have an opinion.
Old September 10, 2012, 04:33 PM   #12
Bob Wright

Quote:
Colt DA revolvers have only one locking point for the cylinder/crane assembly at the rear of the cylinder. S&W and Ruger DA revolvers lock both at the rear of the cylinder and the end of the ejector rod (most S&W's and Ruger Six Series) or on the crane (Ruger GP100, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, SP101, and LCR).
I know that, having had more than a few of each. My point was, what does cylinder rotation have to do with lock up? A Colt could just as easily have a push button cylinder release with a through pin front lock similar to the Smith.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; September 10, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old September 10, 2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:

I know that, having had more than a few of each. My point was, what does cylinder rotation have to do with lock up? A Colt could just as easily have a push button cylinder release with a through pin front lock similar to the Smith.
The Colt's clockwise rotation means that the cylinder is rotating the the same direction as the crane's arc when the action is closed. Put another way, a Colt's cylinder is rotating back into the frame. The counterclockwise rotation of a S&W or Ruger, on the other hand, is rotating in the same direction as the crane's arc when the action is opened, so the cylinder is rotating out of the frame.

Theoretically, the clockwise rotation of the Colt makes it less likely for the cylinder to come open unintentionally under recoil or fast double action shooting and thus it only needs one locking point while counterclockwise guns need two. However, early S&W hand ejectors lacked the forward locking point and I've never heard of their cylinders flopping open when they weren't supposed to, so it may be a non-issue in the real world.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Bob Wright

With the Colt, the hand, or rotating pawl, sort of acts like a second lock.

But, again, cylinder rotation has nothing to do with the design of the cylinder latching mechanism. None, of course, have the security of the single action's base pin, or cylinder pin.

Bob Wright
Old September 11, 2012, 06:44 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

I remember that the "cylinder pushed into the frame" story was a big point with Colt salesmen, but in fact that story was invented long after the guns were on the market, and AFAIK was never an intentional "feature", nor do I recall it being mentioned in the design patent. They also claimed that left hand rifling was superior because it was more accurate. And the Colt lockup was superior, of course. Never mentioned was that the Colt system could force the cylinder OUT of alignment!

The clockwise cylinder rotation was simply a carryover from the older Colt revolvers. The New Army and Navy was the exception for several reasons, so Colt did not always use a clockwise rotation.

Jim
Old September 11, 2012, 07:15 PM   #16
orionengnr

Fascinating and thought-provoking discussion.

As an S&W guy, I have always accepted that revolvers turn "the right way"...because that is all I have ever known.

As I learn more, I can now see that Colt built SA revolvers that turned "the other way" and when they started building DA revolvers, it was natural that they turned "the same way".

I had never stopped to consider the implications of the direction of cylinder rotation as an advantage/disadvantage (when Colt used that direction in the SA revolver, the whole "turning in to" was a non-issue) ...Colt's later use of the "same direction" rotation was the natural way to go.

Anyone remember how Chrysler/Mopar cars of the 60's used to use LH threads on the wheel lugs of the two LH wheels? It was supposed to prevent those wheel lugs from loosening...makes sense in theory, but in practice, it ended up with a bunch of frustrated customers (who could not remove a flat tire) and a number of broken studs (by people who persisted in trying to loosen the lug nuts by turning them the "wrong way" until they snapped off.)

Similarly, the whole "rotating into the frame" sounds good, and may bear some additional thought, although 100+ years later, I cannot see that any advantage has been proven one way or another.
Old September 11, 2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Bob Wright

The whole issue of lockup in a revovler was overstated. The important thing is that the cylinder be as rigidly locked in position as possible at the time of firing, This means the hand (or pawl) locks the cylinder in conjunction with the cylinder locking bolt and holds the cylinder in perfect alignment with the barrel at the time of ignition.

Smith & Wesson placed a third lock in the crane area on their New Century .44 Special revolver. The British tested this prior to purchasing S&W revovlers during WW I and found it unnecessary in practical use and eliminated on their purchase contract. Subsequent S&W revolvers eliminated this as well.

The lock at the yoke is beginning to pop up again, however.

Bob Wright
Old September 11, 2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Gaz_in_NZ

Thanks for all the replies, appreciated.

Cheers
G