The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 6, 2010, 07:00 PM   #1
XDMike

BB guns for practice

Hey everyone. Does anyone ever use bb guns for shooting practice? I see they make glock an m&p replicas. Just thinking of it, since you are basically doing the same movements but not spending near the money or have to drive all the way to the range.
Old March 6, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2
dahermit

BB guns are notorious for being inaccurate. You have a good idea, but should think in terms of a quality pellet gun. They are very accurate, cheap to shoot, some rival the shooting quality of a good center fire. However, some can be fairly expensive.
Old March 7, 2010, 01:24 AM   #3
oldkim

Not BB but Airsoft

XDMike,

You are more likely talking about an airsoft version of a Glock. Shoots a 6mm airsoft pellet versus a "BB" gun.

Now depending on the "practice" you are talking about. If you are talking about shooting drills - sure to a point. If you are practicing switching from a primary to secondary firearm - sure.

For basic marksmanship - improving your shooting skills - not so much.

These Full Airsoft versions are not "toys" as they can cost $150-$300. They replicate all the functions, weight and fell (drops mags, cycles, etc).

What kind of practice are you thinking about?

If you are focusing on marksmanship - try a .22 conversion unit. Just all depends on your situation and what you are looking to do.

Have fun.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old March 7, 2010, 05:31 AM   #4
darkgael

convert

If you can get one for your firearm, the suggestion about a .22 conversion is the way to go.
About pellet guns:
[QUOTE]some rival the shooting quality of a good center fire./QUOTE]
That is true, in fact, the high end pellet guns - not what you would use for drills at all and way pricey, are probably more accurate than most CF firerarms.

Benjamin makes a very useful steel pellet gun in .22 cal, the EB22. It is as accurate as many CF and might be worth a look. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_EB22/425
Pete
Old March 7, 2010, 09:29 AM   #5
XDMike

I live in the city so anytime I want to shoot I have to go to the range. The prices of 9mm are kinda steep in my city also so I was just thinking of getting something to use in the house for things like drawing an sighting faster an trigger control an things like that.
Old March 7, 2010, 09:37 PM   #6
smith357

I used an Airsoft replica of my carry piece for draw training in the car and other odd positions where it's not prudent to pull and fire a loaded pistol, it was nice to be able to practice in the car without having to worry about putting a hole in the dashboard. Since the airsoft have no real recoil they are not so good for anything past the first shot.
Old March 7, 2010, 09:54 PM   #7
oldkim

Couple of choices

XDMike,

You have a few choices - you'll have to decide which is right for you.

For home practice to draw and get some "dry fire" trigger time. This is not an all inclusive list. Just a start.

1) Just dry fire exercises - there are a lot you can find on a simple google search. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dry+fire+pistol+exercises

2) You can use some "snap caps" for dry fire in addition to the above.

3) You can go with a safety barrel replacement.
Something like these: http://www.topgunsupply.com/gun-training-barrels/
They replace your barrel with a plastic barrel - for maximum safety.

4) Get an airsoft replica - you won't need the most expensive ones. Most models are available. The most common ones are running anywhere from $60-$125. They weight the same, functions and shoots great at >30-40 feet. You may have to find a close look a like (size and feel for some models).

You can learn a lot doing the dry fire exercises but do know there are limits. Nothing replaces actual live fire (recoil control) but for the cost it wins hands down.

For anyone new to firearms - there is one thing most do not look at.... get some instruction.

You can't practice what you don't know. You'll build bad habits, unsafe handling and it's tough to loss those later on. Invest in some instruction by a qualified instructor in your area. Then you can truly practice what you need to learn.

Invest $40-$150 to learn it right the first time. It'll save you loads of ammo and some major headaches later on.

Hope this helps.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old March 8, 2010, 12:56 AM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Benjamin makes a very useful steel pellet gun in .22 cal, the EB22.
The Benjamin/Sheridan airguns are good quality, however they are constructed primarily of brass. Not trying to nitpick, just don't want anyone to be surprised/disappointed down the road.
Old March 8, 2010, 01:41 AM   #9
hoytinak

For rifle practice when I can't go to the range I bought myself a Beeman R7 .20 pellet gun. It helps me practice my trigger sqeeze and breathing in my backyard and even inside the house. I've been very impressed with how accurate and fun to shoot this thing is.

Old March 8, 2010, 11:35 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

If I had to get rid of all my air rifles except one I'd save my R7. Very slick little rifle. Accurate, easy to cock, fun to shoot.

Mine is in .177 and has an aperture rear sight.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:37 PM   #11
TheNatureBoy

I have a scoped air rifle that I practice with. My range is an hour and forty five minutes away so I can't always get there. I put a target in the yard about 10 yards out and set up on a table inside my garage with front and rear rests. Its fairly accurate after the first shot and I'm able to go over my shooting mechanics. I also dry fire the same way.
Old March 10, 2010, 05:56 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

For draw practice I bought a bb versiaon of my M&P it is the exact same size as my carry gun. It will fit in the holster just the same. It actualy has better sights than my real one. I wish it had the same HiViz fiberoptics as the bb gun. The trigger feel is nowhere near the same. None the less it is good for draw practice. I still do dry fire at least twice a week with mine.