The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 5, 2008, 02:18 PM   #1
kristop64089

Unexpected surprise from the F.I.L. today

Went over to the in-laws today, and before we left he handed me this "old, beat-up, cheap" shotgun. It was a Western Field/ Montgomery Wards 500abd.
(Mosseberg 500)

He said it was one of his first bird guns. He bought it as a truck gun, but carried it most often due to it's reliability, smooth action, and sweet trigger. He said the stock was crack so, he taped the s**t out of it to keep it from wigglin, but continued to hunt with it. Finaly he retired it when he went to his "new" over-and-under.

Well, I got the gun home and started peeling tape. I did find a crack(superficial tho). The wiggling was due to a loose bolt. I popped of the recoil plate, and tightened the bolt, now the stock is tight as a drum.

The action on this, slides as if it were on ball bearings. The trigger feels as if it were only 3lbs. The actual value of the gun is minimal. But, for the F.I.L. to hand me one of his first guns, well, that's cool. Now I will pass it on to my son, and it will be his first bird gun.
Old April 5, 2008, 02:19 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Congrats on the gift.
Old April 5, 2008, 04:06 PM   #3
10-96

I love a happy story like that! Congratulations on having a good relationship with your FIL and also on having the desire to pass it on to your son- ain't nothing cooler than that.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 7, 2008, 01:35 PM   #4
DEDON45

Nuthin wrong with a Mossberg 500... my buddy's dad had an old Western Auto shotgun (Revelation) which is nothing more than a Mossberg 500... only weird thing about that one is that it has only one action bar, which I think dates it... but it still works fine.
Old April 7, 2008, 02:06 PM   #5
buck-hunter

Congradulations