The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 4, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1
Joe Martin

Practice Sessions

This is the time of year I go full out with my practice sessions as our State Shoot is not far off, over Labor Day weekend.

I try to get out three times a week and shoot offhand as this is the norm in Aggregates these days, and has been for many years.

Anyway, my routine is;

Tuesday and Thursday after work; (Offhand) - 5 shots from 25 yards, 5 shots from 50 yards, and 5 shots from 100 yards.

Sunday; (Offhand) - 10 shots from 25 yards, 10 shots from 50 yards, and 10 shots from 100 yards.

I don't normally practice the 'X-Sticks' much from 50 and 100 yards simply because I'm shooting from a rest and this practice will come at State Shoot for the conditions of the range that given day when I shoot that match from 50 and 100 yards, 5 shots at each range. However for every 5 record shots for the day there may be upwards of 10 practice shots from each distance.

Pistol is another thing I don't practice as I always try to avoid those matches. Not because they're not appealing, but rather of me being a poor shot with a pistol beyond 25 yards. There's no way I can compete with the guys who go to State for the soul purpose of the pistol match Aggregate.

My purpose of so much practice leading up to State Shoot is to be sure my point of impact (POI) remains verticle. Where I practice is 4000 ft above sea level and very low humidity. Where I go to State is 2200 ft above sea level and very heavy humidity. It does make a difference on your POI, and I'll have to move my rear sight up one click minimum for the 50 yard shots, and two to three clicks for the 100 yard shots. This I've learned from past experience at State Shoot, and those Bo-Mar rear sights are just the ticket for just such shooting and adjustments.

Anyway, was just wondering what some of you folks do for a practice routine when you have an important event coming up, such as a shooting match, or hunting season.