The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 8, 2001, 09:36 AM   #1
vluc

Peltor Tactical 7 vs leightning w/ pro ears

I am looking at these two styles of electronic ear protection and wonder if any of you can compare/contrast the two different brands.

The Leightning now has the pro ears hearing protection installed and the Tac 7 seems to have replaced the 6 in Peltors line. As an aside, is there any difference between the Peltor and Dillon models? They look identical.

I've read the posts through searches, but few address the leightning model with its NRR 31 w/o electronics on.
Old October 8, 2001, 09:49 AM   #2
AAshooter

I can't help much in the comparisons but I can tell you I am very pleased with my Peltors.
Old October 8, 2001, 07:27 PM   #3
Tman

I have the Peltor 7S model and like it quite a bit. However, I've noticed when someone has fired a gun, it seems to "clip" and I have a very hard time hearing someone speaking to me for just a fraction of a second. Anyone tried the noise compression technology by ProEars? The stats on the Leightnings look better than the Peltors. (31 db NRR vs. 24 dbNRR)
Old October 13, 2001, 08:37 PM   #4
Tman

Interesting FAQ at the Pro-Ears site on Peltor's vs. Pro-ears. I might just buy a pair of those Electronic Leightning's.

http://www.pro-ears.com/faq.html

I thought I saw them somewhere at an online site for about $190.
Old October 15, 2001, 10:20 AM   #5
jpb

I haven't used the Pro-Ears, but I still may have some info to offer.

I've used dozens of muffs over the years (most non-electronic, some electronic ones too though). I have the Peltor Tactical 7's, and their main advantage is that they are comfortable! They are the only muff of any type that I can wear for hours at a time. I wear eyeglasses, and most type pinch my ears against the arms of the eyeglasses after a while.

The Peltor's do "cut out" on a gunshot, then they come back in but it doesn't bother me at all. The main thing is that they are so comfortable that I keep them on.

Given that the Peltor's are the most confortable of all the (about) 20 muffs I've used, that is a serious point to consider.

jpb
Old October 15, 2001, 04:22 PM   #6
scottsw1

I have a pair of Peltor 6s and love them. They are very comfortable and do a great job of quieting noise levels. The clipping doesn't really bother me because I can still hear sounds when someone is shooting in the distance and they are reducing the sounds. I used my Peltors when shoting my 30.06 and 308 rifles with a muzzle brakes and it does an amazing job. With the volume control you can turn up the volume and you can just about here everything happening around you. If you walk with them turned on it will sound like you are walking on glass with lead shoes on!

I've never tried the Pro-Ears but it just seems like if someone is shooting a very loud rifle next to you, even if the unit doesn't clip I doubt that you would be able to hear normal noises over the rifle noise.

I bought my Peltors at Midway as a birthday gift to myself and the cost of them were around $145.00 delivered.
Old October 16, 2001, 03:05 AM   #7
wildboarZ

Those electronic Leightnings are the Pro-ears Pro-mag Dimension 1 models at basically the same price.

I have the Pro-ears version and just like they say, everything is equalized to 70db. You could basically sit at the indoor range and have a conversation with your buddy and not even have to speak up. The sound never cuts off or clips - it gives you all the sounds as they happen. Shooting on an indoor range lets you hear all the echos and it's like you're in a fuel tanker with all the echos pinging back and forth. Much more of a realistic experience than when I throw on my 29db Peltors (non-electronic) - which are nice and light and sometimes it's nice to have all the noise cut off. One other thing about the Pro-ears, they are built like tanks and you definitely get what you paid for.
Old November 4, 2001, 10:13 PM   #8
vluc

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. Just tried the Dillon electronics. Apparently they are not made by the same folks that do Peltor. They did clip (I was indoors) but it was not too bad, and they were very comfortable.

As I wear shooting glasses, the fact that they were comfortable provides an edge. At 135, that's a savings over the 190 for the pro ears (which I have yet to find to try).

It will, however, take some getting used to. My currrent muffs are the Leightning 31, and it blocks out almost everything! LOL!

With the Dillon's, I heard my range mate loading his magazines and scuffing the floor with his feet...even heard the chattering of brass as it hit the floor.