The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Matt Hooper

S&W Model 63 vs Model 317 Kit. Differences?

Can someone please explain the differences to me between the Model 63 and the 317 Kit gun? Is is just the different finish and front sight?

Looking to start my revolver shooting experience with a Smith 22. Can't find a 617 anywhere so looking at these two guns. Any experience with either? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old January 27, 2013, 03:29 PM   #2
steveno

a M-63 is stainless steel and the 317 is all alloy
Old January 27, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Motownstan

I have both, the 317 is very light aluminum alloy (cyl is alloy too) about 10.5 oz. I like to throw it in my pocket when going for a walk. I was lucky to find one without the lock.

The M63 goes with me every time I go to the range, it's stainless steel and weighs about 24 oz. This one is on the "never sell" list.

Both are 8 shot.

Old January 27, 2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Sevens

I could be mistaken... but aren't we talking about different frame sizes here?
IIRC, the 317 is a descendent of the Model 17, obviously a K-frame. The Model 63 is a J-frame, yes?

That right there is a point big enough to be considered. No J-frame has ever felt as right in my hand as, well, any K-frame, but that's just me.

Gotta say, Stan, the grips on that Model 63 you've pictured are gorgeous!
Old January 27, 2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Motownstan

They are both "J" frames. It would seem anything with a "17" in the model number would be a "K" but, it's not the case.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:38 PM   #6
DMMikey

317 is definitely a "j" frame, and as stated above, very light and very handy to have around. Unfortunately, the trigger pull in abominably heavy, something that can be difficult to deal with in a very light weight gun.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Zhillsauditor

I have a 63, and am very happy with it. But, if I was looking for just one S&W 22lr revolver, I'd get a k-frame. 617s are hard to find, but good used 17s abound, and are cheaper than a new 617 (and handier IMO).

That being said, my shooting buddy is in love with his 63, and wouldn't give it up for any other 22lr. Snub nose 22lrs have never appealed to me, so I cannot comment on the 317. All j-frames, IMO, need a trigger job to be more than just functional self defense weapons.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Win73

My 317 is a three inch with adjustable sights. The sights and that extra inch of barrel make it immensely more shootable. And mine doesn't have that bad a trigger pull.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.