The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 3, 2012, 09:38 AM   #26
Terry A

Quote:
October 26, 2012, 08:53 AM #5
g.willikers

Posts: 1,851 Isn't that the whole point of these anti gun propaganda shows?
To show gun owners in the worst possible light.
Find and show the worst and ignore the best.

Did you ever wonder why shows like Larry Vickers's "TacTV" or "Guns & Ammo TV", "The Best Defense", etc are not shown on these mainline channels?

"They" don't want gun owners to be seen in a professional, responsible light.

Thank goodness we have "The Sportsman Channel" and "The Outdoor Channel".
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old November 4, 2012, 08:07 PM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Thank goodness we have "The Sportsman Channel" and "The Outdoor Channel".
The problem is that those are seen as special-interest or "niche" channels by the mainstream. The negative portrayals are showing on the mainstream channels.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:24 AM   #28
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
The problem is that those are seen as special-interest or "niche" channels by the mainstream. The negative portrayals are showing on the mainstream channels.
I know it's little comfort, but remember that the mainstream media's whole reason for existing is to provide a vehicle to sell toothpaste and laundry detergent. They would try to sensationalize grass growing or paint drying if they could.

So presenting responsible adults engaging in nonsensational behavior isn't good for them.

The problem comes in that many of the "reporters" today buy in to the presentation, and have also lost the old school objectivity. They have a social agenda.

But getting the mainstream to present boring nonsensational stories isn't going to happen.

The old newspaper saw was "If it bleeds, then it leads." You put the pictures of the car wreck above the fold.

Nothing much has changed.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:56 AM   #29
Josh_Putman

Years ago I used to see a Michigan Militia booth at every gun show. I always thought it was comical how everyone there was wearing officer's rank.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:23 AM   #30
Buzzcook

The modern militia movement is a joke. They don't need special editing or a detailed search for missing chromosome branches.

When the world didn't end in the 1970's suppliers were stuck with lots of surplus junk. They needed a market and imho the various militias were created to be that market.

The same people that convinced the easily persuadable that they should move to the Rogue river valley and dig bunkers for the coming nuclear winter, just changed the threat from starving city folks bent on stealing stock piles of k-rations into government thugs bent of stealing their freedom.

Off course the 90s up turn in the economy, stupid acts of violence and Oklahoma City pretty much put a damper on the movement.

The economy and various social factors has made the militia movement popular again, but it's still made up of the same types of folks that are easy to persuade.

Remember friends don't let friends join militias.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:22 AM   #31
StainlessSteel215

Uggghhh. Just watched about 15min on YouTube.

Bunch of fat, slobby wannabe militants who strive to stir up a panic (nuclear meltdowns, natural disaster mania, etc). Nothing wrong with being prepared for a disatser...but purposely stirring up panic and anxiety over unrealistic situations is just stupid. FAIL. These clowns are literally dying to put some bullets in someone armed with anything bigger than a pocket knife lol.

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; November 8, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:09 PM   #32
carguychris

Quote:
The modern militia movement is a joke... The same people that convinced the easily persuadable that they should move to the Rogue river valley and dig bunkers for the coming nuclear winter, just changed the threat from starving city folks bent on stealing stock piles of k-rations into government thugs bent of stealing their freedom.... Remember friends don't let friends join militias.
+1. I still think that we, as gun owners, should refer to these clowns as paramilitaries rather than militias.

The militia, as defined by the Constitution and other federal and state laws, is officially sanctioned and controlled by the states. Although a state may sanction a private group to be part of the state militia, a private group can't legitimately declare itself to be "The Militia"; the title is spurious, but there's no law against using it.
Old November 8, 2012, 01:26 PM   #33
bumnote

Quote:
I still think that we, as gun owners, should refer to these clowns as paramilitaries rather than militias.
...or just simply clowns.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:14 PM   #34
Chaz88

Quote:
The Florida Militia doing a password routine in broad daylight with the commander, from an "undisclosed location" in North Florida. Then the commander brags about access to fresh water from a nearby named spring. So much for undisclosed.
Have not watched the show and am not likely to start.

When I was active duty in North Florida one of the groups tried numerous times to recruit me. I stayed as far from them as I could. They gave me the impression that all the cared about was having a homogeneously complected group of antisocial people that owned guns. Eventually, after refusing with expletives included, they left me alone.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:17 PM   #35
Gunnut17

Here's a for anyone interested. I am yet to watch it, but I think I will hate it, based on the first five minutes. And everyone else's comments.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:40 PM   #36
Hawkshaw

Don't bother you will save yourself a great disapointment.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:47 PM   #37
C Philip

I just watched it. I can't get over how they pretend they're officers and have people address them as "sir." It really makes them seem like wannabe's, since militia are by definition civilians and there shouldn't be any rank. They need to chill out and treat each other as equals. I would have more faith in a local USPSA team than these guys.

Last edited by C Philip; November 9, 2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old November 11, 2012, 02:14 PM   #38
zbones6

Real Militia?

Have any of you ever heard about a "militia", (paramilitary group) that actually had their stuff together? I mean, a group of armed, trained, and responsible men in a community during a disaster could be a great thing. Aiding the police, military, National Guard, Red Cross, or other groups during any kind of situation would be superb. Think about this. Say a militia group came out and helped relief efforts and victims of Hurricane Sandy? That would surely make the news, and would be difficult to paint in a negative light. Thats what we need to decrazy the militia movement
Old November 12, 2012, 03:44 PM   #39
tayronachan

@ zbones6, exactly
Old November 13, 2012, 02:36 AM   #40
Buzzcook

Quote:
Have any of you ever heard about a "militia", (paramilitary group) that actually had their stuff together?
Actually yes I have. Some states, including my own, Washington, have an organized militia. But it's not a bunch of armed citizens.

The Washington state militia is made up of former military and law enforcement members that support police and the National Guard during natural disasters. Much of their work involves logistical support and preforming routine jobs such as traffic direction so that the police and Guard can devote their time to other jobs.

They render an important civil service and do it very well.
Old November 13, 2012, 05:46 PM   #41
pnac

Quote:
Have any of you ever heard about a "militia", (paramilitary group) that actually had their stuff together?

Quote:
Actually yes I have. Some states, including my own, Washington, have an organized militia. But it's not a bunch of armed citizens.

The Washington state militia is made up of former military and law enforcement members that support police and the National Guard during natural disasters. Much of their work involves logistical support and preforming routine jobs such as traffic direction so that the police and Guard can devote their time to other jobs.

They render an important civil service and do it very well.
Right on, Buzzcook! The way propaganda works is to portray the "other side" in the worst possible light. The guys shown in "The Militia" were probably hand picked out of several groups, if not an outright fabrication, to influence public opinion.
It's been long known that if 3 people get together to "oppose the government", 2 of them will be feds. Read "Propaganda" by Edward Bernays or just search "propaganda".
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old November 14, 2012, 01:02 AM   #42
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbones6 View Post
Have any of you ever heard about a "militia", (paramilitary group) that actually had their stuff together? I mean, a group of armed, trained, and responsible men in a community during a disaster could be a great thing...

[BITE TONGUE] [KEEP HEAD FROM EXPLODING]

This is exactly what Hezbula does. And it works.
Old November 14, 2012, 05:09 AM   #43
Redhawk5.5+P+

Can I tell you a story?

One time Ted Turner called Vince McMahon and said I want to get into the wrestling business, Vince said I'm not in the wrestling business, I'm in the entertainment business.

GET IT?
Old November 14, 2012, 06:32 AM   #44
Pilot

Militias throughout the world have been defeating regular armies for centuries. Look at the British, Russian, and U.S. in Afghanistan for instance. Do you think they faced an official, state sponsored and run "Army". No.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:23 AM   #45
BlueTrain

No, they haven't. If it had been in the interest of the Soviets to remain in Afganistan, or ours today, they would still be there. There is such a thing as giving up and going home without ever being defeated on the battlefield. Besides, someone is "sponsoring" them. When the Soviets were in Afganistan, we were the sponsors. Who's doing the sponsoring now?

Also, a militia does not necessarily fight a guerilla war and a guerilla war is not necessarily fought by a militia.
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:48 PM   #46
Buzzcook

pnac, you seem to have missed my point. The militia I'm referring to isn't privately organized, nor is it made up of people opposed to the government.

It is a governmental organization directly under the control of the state.
Old November 14, 2012, 04:51 PM   #47
pnac

Quote:
pnac, you seem to have missed my point. The militia I'm referring to isn't privately organized, nor is it made up of people opposed to the government.

It is a governmental organization directly under the control of the state.
You're right Buzzcook, I apparently did miss your point.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old November 14, 2012, 07:30 PM   #48
Glenn E. Meyer

We are off track. Anymore to be said about the show?
Old November 16, 2012, 08:54 AM   #49
shafter

History shows how effective militias can be. In the American Revolution as well as in the Civil War militias were held in low regard. Probably because of their tendency to run at the first shot.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:27 AM   #50
38superhero

Been waiting for a response for this show on multiple forums for about 3 weeks now, I saw the premier,it was so bad my tin foil sombrero flew off my head lol...

Tags
american militia , discovery , tv shows