The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 14, 2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Uncle Malice

First Impressions: Smith & Wesson M&P 9c

Well I finally got the call today that the M&P I had ordered was finally in at my local dealer! I stopped on my way home from work to do all the paperwork and whatnot and pick that puppy up!! This is going to be my initial reaction and review of the M&P 9c in comparison to what I already own - Glock 23 and Springfield Armory XDm-9. So on we go!

I got it home and sat down to read through the owners manual - yes, I actually do that!! I wanted to find out about the 3 different backstraps, how they recommend to clean and maintain it, etc. I got to the section on switching out the back strap and it tells you about pulling the rod out from the bottom of the grip that actually locks the back strap in to place. The gun ships with the medium backstrap installed which I found to be quite comfortable - but certainly wanted to give the others their fair shot. I pulled the rod out, removed the strap and put on the large. Definitely not. It seems like the only way that particular item would be comfortable is if you had the hands of an NBA player. Really big, and really thin. I have pretty medium sized hands. I switched out to the small backstrap and it felt great. Now I didn't know which one I wanted to use! I switched abck and forth between the medium and small and finally decided to stay with the small. Not for any particular reason, they are both quite comfortable - but it's a sub-compact gun, so anything i can do to shave off a couple of millimeters! (I think everyone already knows this, but the M&P 9c means 'compact' when indeed it is in the same size range as the XD-9 subcompact or Glock 26. It may be slightly larger than the Glock, and I have not actually held an XD subcompact so I don't know how it compares) Continue reading the manual...

The only additional thing I found rather interesting is that the manual tells you that you explicitly NEED to clean the gun before using it. It is shipped from the factory with a thicker oil as a preventative measure. Okay, so I proceeded to take the gun down. The first thing I noticed is that it has the flipper lever slide release, similar to the XDm. The Glock and the original XD(I believe?) use the double-sided pull down slide release. The lever is quite easy to move on my XDm without being 'loose'. I notice that it is much more difficult to flip down on the M&P - but I also noticed that the lever pretty much just 'flips' back up with a push when reassembling the gun - so that it probably why.

Taking the gun apart, it's similar in appearance to the Glock and XD. It has the flat, captive spring like the Glock but it includes a stainless guide rod. Aside from that, nothing particularly interesting inside. I did, just for testing, switch the mag release button to the right side of the gun... and I must say that it's quite easy to do. I thought I might like it on that side to release with the pressure of my middle finger. I tested a couple of times and didn't like it, so i switched it back and reassembled the gun, for now.

Before I did the required 'first time cleaning' I wanted to see how the mags were. For such very small mags, 12 rounds is pretty impressive. I'm not sure what the xd and g26 hold... similar, I'd imagine. The magazine spring seems to be VERY tight and the plastic guide piece(not sure what it's called) seems to almost stick a little. I loaded up the magazine by hand, because the M&P does NOT come with a speed loader which it really could use. I loaded up with 115gr Gold Dot - because that's what I use for defense if there's no Federal HST to be found.

I wanted to rack through a full magazine just to see how it felt off the bat. I inserted the magazine, racked the slide and released.... and the slide was stuck back with a failure to feed. "[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?!" Was my first reaction. I looked at the gun and saw that the bullet was stuck on the feed ramp. Pulled back a little and released and it popped into place. I racked through the entire magazine and had no other issues, although you can feel the cartridge hit the ramp before popping into place. After the magazine was empty, I ejected and broke the gun down for cleaning.

I used Break Free Powder Blast and CLP. To clean and lube the gun. I wiped it down very well and also lubed up the magazine just a little bit and used a pen to depress and release the magazine spring a couple dozen times. After I was satisfied that the gun was properly cleaned, oiled and wiped of all residual lubrication; I put it together again.. and loaded the magazine, again. I ran through the magazine with no issues this time, although you definitely feel(and see) the bullet hitting the ramp with a little resistance just before it pops in to place. I'm sure this will not be an issue when actually firing - just my observations while manually racking the cartridges.

The slide release was also extremely hard to release when I first opened up the box. I literally could NOT do it without relieving just a little bit of pressure from the slide. This didn't concern me though because my Glock was the exact same way. When disassembled, I uses my little brass brush to scrub on the the actual slide release lever clip and and also on the actual corner where it catched on the slide itself. Additionally, I made it a point to lock and release the slide several dozen times to give it just a little bit of wear. It it working nicely now and I can release the slide with just my right thumb - the way it should be.

I have not fired it yet, so I have no reviews on that. It has pretty decent sights from the factory too. Similar to the XDm in quality. Much better than the Glock factory sights. It would seem as though it is a very well put together firearm. I think it just needs a few rounds put through it to break it in and I don't expect to have any problems with it. The Glock was the same way. It little bit tight but after a while it starts running wonderfully. The XDm, in comparison, ran absolutely perfectly right out of the box(recoil spring, trigger, slide release, etc). The trigger on the M&P is similar to the Glock in that it has a very well defined breaking point. The XDm is more of a consistant, smooth pull which could be construed as good or bad. It's certainly less definitive in wondering where it's going to break. *shrug*

Overall I am very pleased with the gun. It looks spectacular. It's ergonomics are excellent - I would say probably just a hair lower than my XDm - which is saying a lot when comparing a subcompact to a full size pistol. Again, I can't compare it to the subcompact XD. The grip is more comfortable than the Glock 23 and as much as I can remember what the Glock 26 felt like in my hands - more comfortable as well. It is going to conceal VERY well. I definitely need to give S&W a call and see about getting another magazine with the finger extension. It's not really uncomfortable with the standard magazine, but I certainly prefer to have a location for my pinky finger to rest on.

The quality of the case that it ships with is very nice. My only complaint is that you don't get any extras... but I suppose I was rather spoiled with the XDm. Springfield definitely got it right when they decided to give a holster, mag pouch, and speed loader along with their gun. I don't even care about the holster really, as I intend to wear it concealed after my ccw class the first week of June - but the speed loader would be nice. I suppose I could try the XDm or Glock loaders... but they're in the car and I don't feel like it. I suppose I should just order the UPLULA. That thing looks pretty effin spectacular... anyone here got that thing?
Old May 14, 2009, 11:36 PM   #2
goose13

I know you commented on my post about my M&P 9c, I don't know if you noticed but I went to the range today and posted my first range report in that thread. Fired 200 rounds of WWB, with not one problem.

Quote:
although you can feel the cartridge hit the ramp before popping into place.
I noticed that too when manually racking with some snap caps to do a function check after cleaning. Had no problems what so ever while shooting at the range though

Quote:
The slide release was also extremely hard to release when I first opened up the box. I literally could NOT do it without relieving just a little bit of pressure from the slide.
I still have to relieving some pressure from the slide to use the slide release, I guess I have to work at breaking it in a little more.

Well anyways good luck with your M&P, hopefully it works as smoothly as mine did at the range.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

Thanks Goose!

I'm hitting the range after work tomorrow with co-worker. I should be able to put 200 rounds through it. We'll see how she plays out. So far I'm liking it a LOT. I just need to find a freakin holster for it!
Old May 15, 2009, 12:09 AM   #4
goose13

Quote:
Thanks Goose!

I'm hitting the range after work tomorrow with co-worker. I should be able to put 200 rounds through it. We'll see how she plays out. So far I'm liking it a LOT. I just need to find a freakin holster for it!
Not a problem. I plan on taking the ccw class this week, as long as I can get the day off of work. so I will also be trying to find a good holster preferably IWB. If you find any in your search that work well keep me posted. What state are you from?

Quote:
I pulled the rod out, removed the strap and put on the large. Definitely not. It seems like the only way that particular item would be comfortable is if you had the hands of an NBA player. Really big, and really thin.
I didn't think about changing the backstraps until after the range today so I shot with the medium that comes with it. But afterwards I tried on the large, and surprisingly found it quite comfortable. I would say I have medium to large hands. I will be trying it out next range trip
Old May 15, 2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Uncle Malice

Ahh, great! My CCW class is June 6. I'm in AZ. Very liberal gun laws. I was almost scared the first time I open carried in public. I went to Wal Mart and SafeWay(grocery store - don't know if you have those there). Of course there were some people who gave looks like '[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] do you have a gun?' but the vast majority of people just didn't seem to pay attention or care. I've actually had a few people that were like "oh hey, what are you carrying? Cool, how do you like it? I have..." So weird... to me anyways. I'm from IL and there is absolutely no open carry or even concealed carry. It's a pain in the ass to even OWN a firearm.

As for holsters, I like the looks of the CompTacs but from what I've seen, the plastic holsters can give the gun a fair bit of rub marks on the slide. I also don't like the *click-clack* everytime you remove the gun. I will definitely let you know what I find though... I'm kind of leaning towards an IWB Galco at this time.

I'm glad you like the larger backstrap. I think my palms just have too much meat on them, I don't need the extra padding. Oddly enough though, the Glock doesn't bother me. Although I suppose I wouldn't complain if it were a bit smaller in the backside.

P.S. - What do you think about the beveled barrel on the M&P? I think it gives it a nice, refined, precision cut look - as do the serrated slide grooves. Overall, it's a really nice pistol and I think it should break in nicely.
Old May 15, 2009, 05:11 AM   #6
bookmonke

The UPLULA is great, got one a few weeks ago and can load faster than the XD speedloader and it works for most everything higher than 22.
Old May 15, 2009, 08:53 AM   #7
samurai30047

Glock guy

I was helping a friend out last year when he decided to FINALLY get his cpl. When we went to the gun shop the salesman was a Smith and Wesson man. My friend was a lefty so the Smith was a natural fit. I'd never shot it so when he rented the compact I was kind of geeked. I really liked it and seriously thought of getting one myself. I've got 12 guns already so I held back. I really liked his though and he's had no problems. The 9mm is very smooth.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Bowhunter57

Uncle Malice,
Welcome to The Firing Line.

I own a standard or service model M&P, in 9mm and it has been very impressive for accuracy. I've not ran a lot of different brands, bullet sizes, etc. of ammo through it, but it seems to like the Winchester (white box) 147gr. JHP ammo. It's producing 1" groups at 20 yards, on sandbags. Off-hand shooting has been just as impressive too.

I'll be waiting to hear from you on a range report.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Old May 15, 2009, 09:57 AM   #9
vel525

Nice write up!
I own both a MP9 and MP9c and both are great guns. I was a little concerned that the MP9c would be a little snappy, but it is a very easy gun to shoot. I got the MP9c for my wife to carry when she gets her carry permit (she picked it, I bought it..lol), but since my CZ has been getting some work done, I've been carrying it around and it is very nice. If I didn't love my CZ so much, I would consider stealing it from her.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Kingbee

I have had my 9c for almost a month. I have over 350 rounds through it. Everyhing from WWB to Blazer Brass and several brands of JHP. I have not had one error. I'm pretty impressed at it's accuracy as well. The recoil is very managable. I can unload a full clip as fast as I can on target and put them all on paper.

I ordered a supertuck, I'm excited to get it. Enjoy it! Check out mp-pistol.com for more info.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:23 PM   #11
PhoenixConflagration

As far as the Kydex holsters go, they'll only rub up your slide at a few key contact points. I'm sure anyone with more experience than me can tell you that leather holsters will eventually mar a much larger surface area.

+1 on the Supertuck. Love mine for my G19.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:34 PM   #12
woodysan

M&P 9c!

I wouldn't part with mine it shoots everything I load it with,hands down. I find it to be very user friendly,from cleaning it to shooting it. Unbeatable! I have 4 semi autos 2 9mm and 2 .45's its a wonderful hobby. Woody
Old June 11, 2012, 05:59 PM   #13
dbrow6272

M&P 9c

I have this gun and love it. I have gone to the range and will sit down and run a few hundred rounds through it everytime I go. I have not had any mechanical problems with the gun except one, the set screw on the rear sight worked itself loose and of course the sight moved so all of my shots were left of center. I didn't notice it until I got home and started to disasemble the gun for cleaning. So I had to go back to the range the next day to recenter the shot. Also the white "paint" dots on the sights has come off so I am going to change them out for some visually better sights. This is one sweet pistol and I carry it frequently-17 round mag and 1 in the chamber along with an extra 10 round mag. S&W surely outdid itself replacing the dreaded Sigma (which I owned and disliked) with this outstanding piece.
Old June 11, 2012, 08:42 PM   #14
delta tide

Quote:
I definitely need to give S&W a call and see about getting another magazine with the finger extension.
I have a M&P9c on order also, should have it in a couple of weeks. I was told by my LGS when deciding on this gun that you can buy just the finger extension from S&W for a couple of bucks and add it to the standard mag. I guess I will find out for sure when I pick my gun up. Congrats on your gun.
Old June 12, 2012, 08:40 AM   #15
Mrgunsngear

Great write-up!

Quote:
The slide release was also extremely hard to release when I first opened up the box.
Mine was the same way but what's really interesting is now that I've shot the crap out of it, it will release on its' own when inserting a mag. Others have reported this as well but I don't think it's an issue---keep your finger off the bang switch and it won't be a problem

Tags
smith