The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 21, 2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Todd1700

Hog Hunting with a M/28 Finn

Killed this boar stalk hunting on some of our land. He ran out in front of me and stopped quartering away at a mere 35 yards or so. No challenge for the old Finn even with open sights. I put a 203 grain Silver Bear bullet just behind his left shoulder and it exited at the base of his neck on the right side. Exit hole was about the size of a quarter. He dropped at the shot and slid around on the ground a bit but never got up. We have quite a few hogs on some of our land and have always regarded them as pests but I'm starting to enjoy stalk hunting them with my black powder and old milsurp rifles.

Old January 21, 2009, 08:05 AM   #2
CowTowner

Where are you? I'll grab a SMLE and give you a hand with them hog pests you got.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 21, 2009, 08:42 AM   #3
GoldenRoyBoy

You did it!!!

Yes, you did it!

I never thought I would miss East Texas; my wife and I moving to Trinidad, Colorado almost three years ago. We lived north of Tyler, on 200 acres. Our heavily treed land bordered a creek; and was a wild hog haven. There was seldom a time my dogs and I walked the back acreage, we didn't see hogs. I had a close encounter 4 or 5 times with several. My Super Redhawk, Trapdoor, or Marlin 39 always evened the odds. My wife and I never developed a taste for wild hog meat; but my dogs did.

Shame on you; I miss those days,
GRB
Old January 21, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Todd1700

Quote:
Where are you?
In the lower half of Alabama. Monroe county to be more precise.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:25 AM   #5
cookhj

not too far from me. i'm at ft rucker.

there's plenty of hogs around here, especially on base, i just haven't made the time to go hunting yet.
Old January 21, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Nekron

What fun! It's so awesome to see the milsurps doing their work out in the field. Congrats on the nice hog!
Old January 21, 2009, 08:52 PM   #7
CowTowner

Ft. Worth, TX ain't the far. Let me load a few 303 rounds up and........
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 21, 2009, 09:17 PM   #8
Tom2

You will need to victory mark your gun now, for each one you bag. Not just the old fashioned notch in the stock. Something like a little brass pig silhouette inlayed in the buttstock. In a hundred years someone will be baffled to see that rifle with the little emblems attached to it.