The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 24, 2001, 03:47 AM   #1
Tom B

Sar 3

Mine is doubling at times. What is the fix for trigger slap? Thanks.
Old July 24, 2001, 06:38 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tom, I'm not familiar with the rifle but the most common cause for doubling or slamfiring is lack of enough sear/hammer engagement. It can also be caused by the firing pin. If your's has a spring it might be broke. If it doesn't then you might consider trying to find one for it. George
Old July 24, 2001, 03:14 PM   #3
Dave R

I'm not an expert but I do own a SAR-3. The firing pin does not have a spring. It floats free. If the firing pin channel is gunked up, you may be getting a slam-fire as the bolt chambers the next round. Just one possibility. Easy to check. Field strip the rifle and remove your bolt. Shake it and you should be able to hear/feel the firing pin moving. Or you can push each end of the pin with something and see if its moving freely.

If the pin is sticking, however slightly, you should disassemble the bolt. And clean out the firing pin channel thoroughly. Its not hard if you have ever driven pins out before. A less effective fix is to blast out the channel with Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner.

For more expert responses, post the question at AK-47.net Some real AK experts there. The site has moved recently. Now at: http://ak-47.gunsnet.net/vb/index.php
Old July 24, 2001, 06:50 PM   #4
Tom B

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try.