The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
DiffyDoc

H-380 powder

I have been loading bunches of 22-250 with 38gr. of H-380 pushing a a Sierra 55gr. fmjbt. My Remington 788 shoots these things like a laser. I am thinking of trying the H-380 in my 270wsm with 90gr. Sierra hpbt at 60gr. of H-380. Hopefully with similar results of my 250. Anyone have a better load or suggestions.
Old December 21, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Without knowing what kind of shooting your are doing and what kind of accuracy expectations you will have, it's hard to say. Most likely a lot of people will have loads that are better in their guns, but know way to be sure how they will test out in your particular rifle. They usually have to be tweaked to the particular gun.

H380 is canister grade WC852, originally designed for military .30-06. It's a little fast for best service in the .270 WSM, as it will reach SAAMI peak pressure when the case is about 85% full under the bullet. Something with a little bit slower burn rate and/or a little more bulk will probably be better for accuracy, but it depends on the gun and, in this case, the bullet weight, in particular.

In the .22-250 with a 55 grain bullet, H380 should reach peak pressure with around 98% case fill under the bullet, so it's a much better choice for the .22-250 than for the .270 WSM.

Incidentally, the FMJ BT's are not usually the most accurate you can get for up to 300 yards or so. Most often flat base bullets will shoot tighter at the shorter ranges. Beyond 300 yards, the boat tail starts to come into its own, but the most accurate ones will be match bullets formed with a solid base and a small hollow point. It's an characteristic of the difference in manufacturing process that these are easier to make uniform.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 23, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
DiffyDoc

h-380

Thanks for replying. The 55fmjbt from Sierra are boat tails and they are way better than the flat bottom fmj's. I will work up a load that works and post it later.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I should have specified the flat base bullets will be hollow point, as are flat base match bullets, like the 53 grain Sierra MatchKing, or soft point, but not FMJ. They have to be formed with the bottom as square as possible for best accuracy, and that only comes when the bottom of the jacket cup becomes the base. In the FMJ the bottom of the jacket cup becomes the nose.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle