The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 3, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1
ncpatriot

NC General Assembly

All of you from NC, take note. With our General Assembly now having a conservative majority, we have a good chance of getting a castle doctrine bill passed, along with furthering ccw rights and fighting emergency legislation disallowing citizens to be armed away from their homes during declared emergencies. Call or visit your elected representatives. Check out various issues at Grass Roots NC at www.grnc.org. They usually post all pending or considered legislation.
Old December 4, 2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

While you're at it, get your idiotic restaurant carry law fixed.

The last time I visited NC, my host and I met his mother for lunch at a Red Lobster. I was shucking my pistola to leave it in the car when my friend said, "What are you doing? It's okay to carry in there."

What he meant was, "It's NOT okay to carry in there, but I always take the risk so you should, too." Later, when I found out that my friend had talked me into committing a felony (or is it only a misdemeanor?), I was rather "upset." The thing is, this wasn't a bar ... and I don't even drink. I had a Diet Coke with my lunch. There is no logical reason why restaurant patrons should have to disarm to eat lunch on dinner.

If you can legally operate a 3,000 pound guided missile with a blood-alcohol level of .07%, you should be able to enjoy the Constitutional right to self defense while eating dinner in a restaurant.
Old December 4, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3
boredom

yea, the restaurant thing would be nice, especially if you've never been to a particular restaurant to know if they serve alcohol, or are from out of state where its legal to carry.

as far as i knew, we have a castle doctrine, at least thats what i was told when i took my ccw course in october. from what i recall, we have no duty to retreat inside of our homes, but we are not allowed to restrain or follow them if they attempt to leave. its also supposed to be transferable to hotel rooms and the likes.
Old December 4, 2010, 09:00 PM   #4
DogoDon

NC's CCW law is burdened with too many exceptions, that's for sure. I'm not aware of any legislation in the works to address that -- is anyone else? The restaurant exception is absurd, as Aguila Blanca noted.

As for the Castle doctrine, NC law already includes a version of it. The problem with the current law is that it does not insulate a person who justifiably uses deadly force from civil prosecution. We need a law more like Florida's, which does preclude civil prosecution.

DD
Old December 4, 2010, 10:00 PM   #5
a7mmnut

Good luck with that much "change"! During the first few years, LEO's were technically the only people authorized to carry concealed on school campuses. They had to do an emergency session to relieve liability from emergency personnell carrying weapons onto school grounds. (Firefighters and Paramedics often carry knives and other tools.) The banks, Federal and State buildings, all businesses serving alcohol, all mass meeting areas charging admission fees, and any business choosing to post "off limits" signs are always going to be the first places we will most likely need protection. While we're at it, we really need to call for an employer bill that will disallow search and seizure on their premises of our vehicles!!! Our rights are more fragile than ever.

-7-