The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 15, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1
sfwusc

Sighting a scope

I have a remington 700 30-06 with a bushnell Sportsman scope.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...0624&aID=503AH

The scope is poorly mounted and keeps coming out of the rings.

Do we think these rings would work with the current setup and work out pretty well?

http://www.amazon.com/Burris-420084-...ds=scope+rings

This is going to be my deer rifle and I will be mostly in the 150 yards or less range. It could get up to 300 yards, but I honestly doubt I trust my shooting ability at that range to actual take the shot.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Get thyself a set of Burris Signature rings.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:35 PM   #3
sfwusc

http://www.amazon.com/Burris-Signatu...ignature+rings

Is this what you are talking about?

Thank you for the reply!
Old July 16, 2013, 12:22 AM   #4
big al hunter

I prefer the Burris zee rings you had in the link. Do you have a weaver style base that the zee rings fit? Should look something like this picture. It could also be a rail that is long with several notches like what is in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg s7_710280_imageset_01.jpeg (2.9 KB, 42 views)
Old July 16, 2013, 12:28 AM   #5
BuckRub

Don't understand, you said its poorly mounted- then mount it right. Any cheap mounts or better ones from Walmart will do fine. Just make sure you get them for your scope, either 30MM or 1". Use blue lock tight.
Old July 16, 2013, 04:13 AM   #6
shortwave

Best think of your mount/rings the same as you do the foundation of a house. For they are the foundation of thy scope.

I'd rather have a solid, well made mount / set of rings and a mediocre scope then a cheap mount/ set of rings and a high dollar scope any day.
Old July 16, 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm not claiming "better", but I've been using Weaver rings and bases for sixty-plus years with never the first sign of a problem.

Sure, there are equals all over the place. So?
Old July 16, 2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwusc View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Burris-Signatu...ignature+rings

Is this what you are talking about?

Thank you for the reply!
Those are the rings, yes. The particular mounting type depends on the base. I assume its weaver but you'll have to verify that.

Most likely, you don't need or want "high" rings either. Probably medium, possibly (but probably not) low.
Old July 16, 2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Pahoo

Many ways to skin this cat !!!

Quote:
Just make sure you get them for your scope, either 30MM or 1". Use blue lock tight.
I use blue lock tight, on the base mounting screws but not on the scope to ring contact area. Instead, on small calibers I use clear electrical tape and on larger calibers, I use double sighted sticky tape, rated for outdoor use. ..

The Z-rings are fine rings and should work well. I don't care much for the older Weaver rings as they have a tendency to roll the scope on you. Their Quad rings are good. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 16, 2013, 12:15 PM   #10
sfwusc

They are weaver, but I think they are low (I don't know they were on the gun when I bought it used). The rings wouldn't completely lock down the scope, but I got it close I thought. I had trouble bore sighting it. I kept having to adjust it upward to get it to be bore sighted. I thought i got it all set, then a couple of fired rounds knocked the scope loose anyway.

So if I get medium quality rings, then I should be set with my ok scope until I get something better?

Thanks guys!!
Old July 16, 2013, 12:39 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Remove the base while you're at it and use Loc-tite on those screws too, and torque them properly. Get those Burris Signature rings and install them according to their instructions. I've used cheap scopes for most of my life, on everything from BB guns to 12ga shotguns, and they've always served me well. More expensive scopes are often, indeed, better but cheap scopes are generally functional and effective.
Old July 16, 2013, 02:50 PM   #12
BuckRub

Sounds like you're not too familiar with this , you should take your gun to a gunsmith pay them to install it right ( watch and learn for next time ). It's real easy once you learn but for any rifle to be accurate it better be done right. You can take a bench rest rifle with the most expensive equip and install it not right and all you got is a gun that couldn't outshoot a snub nose pistol. Please do it right, you'll be happy you did.

Last edited by BuckRub; July 16, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old July 17, 2013, 09:20 PM   #13
shortwave

A couple more things to check if your still trying to use your original equip:

1)Make sure the ring cap screw holes located in the ring base are cleaned out. Blow them out with compressed air if possible. Any debris laying in the bottom of them will make the screws feel as though they are tight but the scope will still be loose in the rings. And make sure the screws your using are not too long.

2) Make sure there is no crud/dirt/dust on the underside of the ring caps or on the scope where the caps will set. Too, since this is a 30-06 with a decent amount of recoil, I'd probably make sure there wasn't any oil under the caps/scope tube as well.
Old July 21, 2013, 11:01 AM   #14
Picher

I'm with Buck Rub. You either don't have the right equipment or experience to install a scope if it keeps falling off. Mounting a scope requires a good-fitting screwdriver or whatever the screws require. If you don't want to bring the rifle and scope to a gunsmith, read up on just how to install a scope properly or you may hurt the scope, strip threads, break screws and whatever else.
Old July 22, 2013, 08:33 PM   #15
reynolds357

How does it fall out of the rings? I cant get a mental image of that.
Zee Rings are great, Signature rings are better. Warne is rock solid as well.
Old July 23, 2013, 05:59 AM   #16
rebs

I have always used Weaver mounts with no problems.
Old July 23, 2013, 06:42 AM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I can imagine a scope being loose in its rings. Not falling off though. (unless its screws are striped threaded maybe then it may) Anyway. Many times poor fitting rings can indeed indent or leave mounting marks as they are called on a scopes main tube. In trying to re-mount tightly with a different set of rings. {If the scope body is again being re-mounted in that earlier indented location} ofter requires shimming of the scope rings or Burris Signature rings. Which will often resolve the issue also.

S/S
Old July 23, 2013, 10:42 AM   #18
JerryM

I use various mounts, but have Weaver Mounts on one rifle. For over 40 years it has been fine with no problems.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 17, 2013, 06:11 PM   #19
sfwusc

I got new rings, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks guys! Those rings are solid quality. I think they have a new loyal customer.