The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 23, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Willie Lowman

Car holster

I was driving around the other night, right hand under the seat belt, trying to shift my IWB holster so it would stop digging into my thigh/butt area. I realized that if I had to draw my gun, I couldn't without a few seconds prep time (un-buckling, turning in the seat, pulling my jacket up, etc).

I know the answer to most in-the-car-defensive-situations is "Willie, just drive." However, there are situations where just driving is not an option. Traffic patterns, narrow one way streets, and drive through businesses can present times where driving is suddenly no longer an option.

I found that my center console is just a little deeper than my G 26 is long. I was thinking about attaching a nylon Uncle Mike's holster to the inside for convenient car carry.

The problems I see with this setup. The center console locks with a key but could be forced open in a minute by my 7 year old niece. Therefore if I kept the thing locked all the time I would do myself no favors as far as speedy access goes. It is also not good security for leaving a firearm unattended in the car. So it seems prudent to transfer the 26 to a holster on my person every time I get out of the car. Which could prove a great hassle in places like a gas station where other people are likely to observe me handling a firearm/stuffing it into my belt holster before I walk inside.

Perhaps I have just drank to much coffee.
Old December 23, 2012, 11:11 AM   #2
ShootingNut

Here is one inexpensive option to consider, and I have seen others that
velco strap onto a steering column.
http://www.cabelas.com/holsters-belt...er-strap.shtml
Old December 23, 2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Carne Frio

Steering column holster that looks interesting:
http://www.gungoddess.com/steering-w...holster-mount/
Old December 23, 2012, 07:21 PM   #4
ShootingNut

Another idea...
http://www.kholster.com/products.php...Truck+Holsters
Old December 23, 2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Kevin Rohrer

I have the Gum Creek version of the Goddess Holster. It works great in the Porsche, and will hold any large-frame auto.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 26, 2012, 02:11 AM   #6
Yankee Doodle

Willie
Just a small word of caution. Should you be stopped by a LEO, it might be a really good idea to let him or her know that the piece is there before they spot it themselves. Having the Cop on the right shout "GUN" and suddenly feeling the muzzle of a 9mm tucked in your left ear can make for a bad day. Speaking from years of experience, Cops hate surprises.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:15 AM   #7
TheGoldenState

Not sure I like the placement of that holster.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Willie Lowman

Yankee Doodle, thanks for the words of caution. In Ohio we are required to tell cops that we have CHL and if we have a gun with us or not. Why I was leaning toward a holster that could go inside my console.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Dwight55

I'm with you, Willie, . . . and have developed a "pre-flight checklist" for my head that does all that up front.

I pull my jacket up as I am sitting down, . . . un-zip or un-button the front of it, . . . and make sure my weapon is not hampered by the seat belt.

It is fairly easy in my Jeep Liberty, . . . is much harder in my wife's little Mercury Mistique, . . . but it can be done.

I've also developed the mind set that if there is a perp at the window, . . . or something like that, . . . I make a motion very similar to getting a wallet out of my right rear pocket. Perp won't know my wallet is on the left and my 1911 on the right.

I really don't think there would be many cases where it would be prudent to go for the weapon instead of driving, . . . but I try to be ready for it just in case.

As an aside note: I also live in Ohio, . . . got pulled over one night for speeding a bit, . . . had to get my insurance card from the glove compartment of my wife's car, . . . you should have seen the eyes on that trooper when I dropped the door, . . . there lays a fully loaded, full size 1911, cocked and locked. I had already told him my carry piece was in there, . . . I think he was looking for a 9mm pea shooter or something, . . . 1911 C&L got his attention,........

He gave me a warning,...........

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 27, 2012, 09:32 AM   #10
SIMP

Thanks for this post, it has given me some ideas for a vehicle mount.

When I recently took my permit class, the instructor gave us some tips for dealing with officers while having a firearm in the vehicle. He advised us to keep both hands on the wheel and advise the officer right away that you have a firearm and where it is located. He also said that if you get pulled over at night, cut the inside dome light on and keep both hands on the wheel. He said that it puts the officer more at ease being able to see what's going on the vehicle at night. Never reach over to the glove compartment before the officer asks you to or before he approaches your car....says it looks like you're going for a weapon. All of this seems kind of common sense stuff but you never know.

In Mississippi you do not have to have a permit to keep a gun in your vehicle so I imagine they have many stops where they see pistols. Sorry for getting off topic on your post....
Old December 27, 2012, 09:39 AM   #11
spacecoast

Quote:
When I recently took my permit class, the instructor gave us some tips for dealing with officers while having a firearm in the vehicle. He advised us to keep both hands on the wheel and advise the officer right away that you have a firearm
Why? Mississippi has no such requirement.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:41 AM   #12
SIMP

There is a permit required to conceal carry, not have one in car.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:45 AM   #13
spacecoast

You misunderstand, there is no requirement to inform the officer. As long as it's out of sight, why increase the anxiety of an interaction with an officer?
Old December 27, 2012, 09:52 AM   #14
SIMP

I apologize, I did misunderstand. Yeah, I agree, but I'd feel more comfy telling him upfront. I guess it's a preference, that's all.