The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2011, 04:22 PM   #1
BUFF

I'm no deerologist. Have you seen this?

I was sitting on my stand friday evening surrounded by 6 does. One doe in particular started chasing another doe. Just one that she picked out of the crowd. She must have chased that one several hundred yards. She never gave much attention to the others. I've watched a lot of deer in herds before, but have never seen this particular behavoir. Do deer carry a grudge? Has anyone else seen this?
Old October 31, 2011, 05:20 PM   #2
mete

They chase for things like dicipline.They will kick another deer for the same reason.There is a higherarchy and the chaser would be the top doe usually.
Old October 31, 2011, 05:53 PM   #3
black mamba

I've got another one. Last season I was sitting in my tree stand when I heard steps coming from behind the tree toward me. A couple seconds later a coyote came loping along, about 35 yds from the tree. As he passed by about 40 yards or so, I heard more steps from behind the tree. A few seconds later, along came a doe and fawn whitetail, trailing the coyote! They seemed to actually be pushing him along. They followed until all were out of sight, about 150 yds away. I've never seen or even heard of anything like it.
Old October 31, 2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Hog Buster

Most animals that live in groups have a “Pecking Order”. It’s no more than a hierarchical system of social organization within the group. Every member has his place. Get out of place and you’re put back in it.

As for prey following predator, it’s common in many animals. If you know where your enemy is, there’s less danger of you being victim of a surprise attack. Very common on the African plains.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:23 PM   #5
columbia_shotguneer

Quote:
A few seconds later, along came a doe and fawn whitetail, trailing the coyote! They seemed to actually be pushing him along. They followed until all were out of sight, about 150 yds away. I've never seen or even heard of anything like it.
I would say the coyote came up on the doe and fawn alone and the doe showed aggressiveness enouggh the coyote backed off. The doe followed him out to keep him off. Now the problem I've seen with coyotes is they are usually in pack, does will back off and their fawns are toast. It really upsets me to hear of this, because I like to see a good crop of new fawns make it through that first year.
Old November 1, 2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Deer seem to have a social order. I've seen one doe rough up another in my back yard when they were eating out of my bird feeder while leaving another one alone.
Old November 1, 2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Newton24b

its normal.

also consider the fact that its not unusual for male deer not to grow horns. not uncommon around here for a nice big fat doe to turn out to be carrying external gear.

also, sterile does will act like bucks as well.
Old November 4, 2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Win73

Here's how does determine who is dominant.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old November 5, 2011, 08:29 PM   #9
columbia_shotguneer

I doe will bite, kick, and stomp! And stand on it's hind legs(seen this a few times) great picture^
Old November 5, 2011, 09:55 PM   #10
highvel

That same behavior happens at the mall when any sale exceeds 50% off

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old November 6, 2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Mobuck

Newton24B, Where are you that bucks don't grow antlers? I've seen some pretty bizarre racks caused by injuries or hormone deficiencies but it would not fall into the "not uncommon" category.
Old November 6, 2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Win73

Quote:
Where are you that bucks don't grow antlers?
It is not common and maybe even not "not uncommon" but occasionally there will be a buck without antlers or a doe with antlers.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.