The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 10, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Gary Slider

Handgunlaw.us Post on DC Permit Law Was Wrong (Old Law)

I screwed up. The DC Code I posted earlier is not the newest version of the DC Code. I will use a Liberal defense tactic here and tell you that the DC code is not the easiest thing to get around in sometimes. I was in there searching and found what I thought was the new version and it was actually an older version before the one they just repealed. I don't know why it can still be viewed.

DC Has repealed their law on issuing permit/license to carry. This was a major screw up on my part and I apologize for getting everyone worked up. I didn't check far enough. I am sorry for any inconvenience I have caused everyone. If my previous post on this issue could be removed by the admins I would greatly appreciate it. Gary Slider
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old December 10, 2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Gary Slider

Someone ask me to post the actual laws on firearms for DC since what I posted before was false. Here is what will show up on the DC Page at Handgunlaw.us on 1/1/11 when the site has a major update with Iowa Going Shall Issue.

DC Did repeal their permit issuing law. They are NO ISSUE NOW.

22-4502.01. Gun Free Zones; Enhanced Penalty [Formerly 22-3202.1]
(a) All areas within 1000 feet of a public or private day care center, elementary school, vocational school, secondary school, college, junior college, or university, or any public swimming pool, playground, video arcade, or youth center, or an event sponsored by any of the above entities shall be declared a gun free zone.
(b) Any person illegally carrying a gun within a gun free zone shall be punished by a fine up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, by a term of imprisonment up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, or both.
7-2507.01
(b) No person may loan, borrow, give, or rent to or from another person, any firearm, destructive device, or ammunition.
§ 22-4507 Certain Sales of Pistols Prohibited.

No person shall within the District of Columbia sell any pistol to a person who he or she has reasonable cause to believe is not of sound mind, or is forbidden by § 22-4503 to possess a pistol, or, except when the relation of parent and child or guardian and ward exists, is under the age of 21 years.

§ 22-4504.01. Authority to Carry Firearm in Certain Places and for Certain Purposes.

Notwithstanding any other law, a person holding a valid registration for a firearm may carry the firearm:
(1) Within the registrant's home;
(2) While it is being used for lawful recreational purposes;
(3) While it is kept at the registrant's place of business; or
(4) While it is being transported for a lawful purpose as expressly authorized by District or federal statute and in accordance with the requirements of that statute.

§ 22-4503.02. Prohibition of Firearms From Public or Private Property.

(a) The District of Columbia may prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on its property and any property under its control.

(b) Private persons or entities owning property in the District of Columbia may prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on their property; provided, that this subsection shall not apply to law enforcement personnel when lawfully authorized to enter onto private property.

§ 22-4502.01. Gun Free Zones; Enhanced Penalty.

(a) All areas within,1000 feet of an appropriately identified public or private day care center, elementary school, vocational school, secondary school, college, junior college, or university, or any public swimming pool, playground, video arcade, youth center, or public library, or in and around public housing as defined in section 3(1) of the United States Housing Act of 1937, approved August 22, 1974 (88 Stat. 654; 42 U.S.C. § 1437a(b)), the development or administration of which is assisted by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, or in or around housing that is owned, operated, or financially assisted by the District of Columbia Housing Authority, or an event sponsored by any of the above entities shall be declared a gun free zone. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "appropriately identified" means that there is a sign that identifies the building or area as a gun free zone.

(b) Any person illegally carrying a gun within a gun free zone shall be punished by a fine up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, by a term of imprisonment up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, or both.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person legally licensed to carry a firearm in the District of Columbia who lives or works within 1000 feet of a gun free zone or to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps of the United States; the National Guard or Organized Reserves when on duty; the Post Office Department or its employees when on duty; marshals, sheriffs, prison, or jail wardens, or their deputies; policemen or other duly-appointed law enforcement officers; officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry such weapons; banking institutions; public carriers who are engaged in the business of transporting mail, money, securities, or other valuables; and licensed wholesale or retail dealers.

§ 22-4514. Possession of Certain Dangerous Weapons Prohibited; Exceptions.

(a) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess any machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, knuckles, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife, nor any instrument, attachment, or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearms; provided, however, that machine guns, or sawed-off shotgun, knuckles,s, and blackjacks may be possessed by the members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps of the United States, the National Guard, or Organized Reserves when on duty, the Post Office Department or its employees when on duty, marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen, or other duly-appointed law enforcement officers, including any designated civilian employee of the Metropolitan Police Department, or officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry such weapons, banking institutions, public carriers who are engaged in the business of transporting mail, money, securities, or other valuables, wholesale dealers and retail dealers licensed under § 22-4510.

(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon.

(c) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in § 22-4515 unless the violation occurs after such person has been convicted in the District of Columbia of a violation of this section, or of a felony, either in the District of Columbia or in another jurisdiction, in which case such person shall be imprisoned for not more than 10 years.

You can not carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle in the District of Columbia

DC ST § 22-4504.02

District of Columbia Official Code 2001 Edition
Division IV. Criminal Law and Procedure and Prisoners.
Title 22. Criminal Offenses and Penalties. (Refs & Annos)
Subtitle VI. Regulation and Possession of Weapons.
Chapter 45. Weapons and Possession of Weapons. (Refs & Annos)
§ 22-4504.02. Lawful transportation of firearms.

(a) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section.

(b)(1) If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.
(2) If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the firearm shall be unloaded.

(c) If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:
(1) Unloaded;
(2) Inside a locked container; and
(3) Separate from any ammunition.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Gary for this posting. It reflects upon your character and credibility that you would correct a mistake, in so public a fashion.