The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 14, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1
barnettamb

Colt Detective Special Problem (1975 model)

Hello,
I have a Colt Detective Special handed down from my grandfather. It is in great condition, but when I go shooting with it I can only get about 40 rounds through it before in binds up. The trigger will stick down and the cylinder won't rotate when you do pull the trigger. I took it in the get fixed by my local gun store and when I got it back it was much more accurate shooting double action. It shot great! However, again, I only got 40 rounds through it. Also, the little plate on the side above the grip is not completely flush to the gun. It wasn't before I took it in and it wasn't when i picked it up. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
Old April 14, 2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Can you post a photo of this? I take it the side plate is not fitting correctly?

Intermittent problems can be rough to troubleshoot sometimes, without seeing the gun.
Old April 14, 2014, 02:54 PM   #3
PetahW

It sounds like the cylinder gap, betwixt the cylinder face & the rear of the bbl, was set too close/tight @ the factory, allowing it to bind when the cylinder heats up/expands after multiple immediate shots. (in your case, 40)

AFAIK, the COLT cylinder gap tolerance (which is much tighter than S&W) is .003" to .007" - which you can check for yourself with an automotive feeler gauge set.

The non-flush side plate is bad ju-ju, and something I would only entrust to Colt for repair.

IIRC, Colt will still service a DS, so you might want to sneak in a call to their Customer Service Dept.

Old April 14, 2014, 02:58 PM   #4
g.willikers

Some questions:
When it locks up, is it done for good, or will it get better when it cools down?
How about after cleaning it?
How are you shooting it, when it acts up - slow and steady, fast and furious?
Does the cylinder open and swing out ok?
Are you satisfied only shooting it 39 times?
Ok, scratch that last one, but it was too tempting to pass up.
And, yes, pictures always help.
If we can't figure out the problem, it's always enjoyable to look at another gun.
Old April 14, 2014, 03:25 PM   #5
barnettamb

I will post a picture of it as soon as i can get one...the gun is at home and I'm at college... Once it jams, its pretty much done for until i clean it and mess with it a little. Once this happens and i release the cylinder out, the cylinder rubs up against the side of the gun (i believe this happens because the plate is not flush) I called colt and they said they would charge 75 dollars for the repair plus whatever parts it may need and i would have to pay for shipping both there and back... I really don't want to send it in but i also know colts are complicated so i don't want to mess it up. i will post pictures soon. thank you for your help!
Old April 14, 2014, 03:46 PM   #6
salvadore

Have you ever removed the side plate yourself? All kinds of things could not be put together correctly, the hand the cylinder (pin?) to the cylinder latch among other things. If your gunsmith isn't a geezer, he may not know what he's doing.
Old April 14, 2014, 06:27 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not defending my fellow geezers, but that Colt is not a good gun to try and work on unless one has some experience. Frankly, I suggest having Colt do the work; I am a bit astonished that they will do so, since I thought they stopped working on those guns a good while ago.

Jim
Old April 16, 2014, 11:14 AM   #8
barnettamb

I have taken the side plate off myself before and although it sure looked like i had everything back into place, the only thing i can think of as to why it won't get flush is that something has to be out of place. i will most likely just pay the money and send it into colt this summer.
Old April 16, 2014, 04:45 PM   #9
g.willikers

Maybe someone, at some time, pried it off, instead of the approved way.
That could have caused the plate to bend.
Old April 21, 2014, 11:12 AM   #10
barnettamb

I didn't think about the plate being bended...i hope its not but ill definitely check that out. thanks for the idea
Old April 22, 2014, 12:24 AM   #11
Scorch

Before you assume that you have a damaged gun, check to make sure the rebound lever is on the shelf on the inside of the hand and working properly. If the hand is not fully inserted, the revolver will not work properly, and the side plate will not go on all the way.
Old April 22, 2014, 01:03 PM   #12
Seven High

Have you tried a cleaning and lubrication of the internals? That would be where I would start at if I owned it,
Old April 22, 2014, 08:34 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

One thing to check if the sideplate doesn't fully seat is the trigger stud. Those have been known to work loose and stick out too far, keeping the sideplate from seating fully. Dirt or grease in the stud hole in the sideplate will cause the same problem.

Jim
Old April 24, 2014, 03:15 PM   #14
barnettamb

thanks guys...im definitely going to check out that trigger stud and make sure that there is no dirt in the hole. i think that may be the problem
Old May 6, 2014, 12:09 PM   #15
barnettamb

fixed it. thank you