The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old March 7, 2007, 01:52 PM   #1
EJJR

Immigration raid in Mass.

AP release:

Children stranded after immigration raid

Dozens of young children were stranded at schools and with baby-sitters after their parents were rounded up by federal authorities who raided a leathergoods maker suspected of hiring illegal immigrants, authorities said Wednesday.

About two-thirds of the 500 employees of Michael Bianco Inc., mostly women, were detained Tuesday by immigration officials for possible deportation as illegal aliens.

As a result, about 100 children were stuck with baby sitters, caretakers and others, said Corinn Williams, director of the Community Economic Development Center of Southeastern Massachusetts.

"We're continuing to get stories today about infants that were left behind," she said. "It's been a widespread humanitarian crisis here in New Bedford."

The state Department of Social Services was working Wednesday to make sure the children receive proper care.

Department of Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Julie Myers said women who were sole caregivers of children would be released, but it takes time to verify people's accounts.

Federal officials coordinated with the state social services agency before the raid, said Marc Raimondi, spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

"I'm not saying there won't be children whose parents are detained and removed, but I am saying that every effort is going to be made to ensure no child is going to be put in jeopardy because of the removal," he said.

During the federal raid Tuesday, company owner Francesco Insolia, 50, and three top managers were arrested. Authorities allege Insolia oversaw "sweatshop" conditions so he could meet the demands of $91 million in U.S. military contracts.

U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan accused Insolia of exploiting the illegals to maximize his profits on the military contracts for production of backpacks and safety vests for soldiers. A fifth person was arrested on charges of helping illegals obtain fake identification.

Investigators described dingy conditions and said the illegal workers faced onerous fines, such as a $20 charge for talking while working and spending more than two minutes in the bathroom.

"They were given no options. It's either here, or the risk of no income at all," U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan said, comparing the plant to sweatshops from the early 1900s. "Clearly, they were exploited because of the fact they were here illegally."

Insolia's lawyer, Inga Bernstein, said: "The whole story will come out, and at that point it will be a very different scenario."

Michael Bianco Inc., founded in 1985, specialized in manufacturing high-end leather goods for retailers including Coach Inc. and Timberland Co. before landing a $9.4 million military contract in 2003 to make survival vests.

From 2004 and 2006, it won $82 million in military contracts to make products including lightweight backpacks. An Army spokesman did not return a call seeking comment about the status of the contracts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My initial thoughts; this may seem cold, but if any of these children ( who are illegals) are put in "jeopardy", the only people that can ultimately be blamed are the parents; And I seriously hope our Govt heeds this "warning sign" and decides to gather much more background info. about the companies it decides to give contracts to before a really bad situation occures and gives extremist liberals that much more fuel to feed their fire.

Views, thoughts, opinions?

Want to learn how to shoot well? http://appleseedinfo.org/
Old March 7, 2007, 02:06 PM   #2
rem33

No sympathy here, I feel for the kids but what did the parents think illegal was?
Can we go and break gun laws and feel immunity? or go 65 in a 35 and think it is OK and we should be ignored. We all know that answer to those questions. NO with capital letters.

Illegal is just what the word means. Again no sympathy here.

We need a lot more of this IMHO.
Old March 7, 2007, 02:30 PM   #3
badbob

The article seems to have left out some information. Must have been an oversight.(heavy sarcasm)

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070306/ma_im....v=1&printer=1

Co. Raided, Accused of Hiring Illegals
Tuesday March 6, 3:09 pm ET
By Jay Lindsay, Associated Press Writer
Company Hired Illegal Immigrants to Keep Up With Military Contracts, Feds Say
BOSTON (AP) -- The owner and three managers of a New Bedford leather manufacturer that's won more than $91 million in U.S. military contracts were arrested Tuesday for allegedly hiring illegal immigrants.
The company, Michael Bianco Inc., hired illegal aliens as it tried to meet deadlines to supply backpacks and other products to the military, federal officials said in a court filing. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers raided the company Tuesday morning.

In an affidavit, investigators claimed that owner Francesco Insolia, plant manager Dilia Costa, payroll manager Ana Figueroa and office manager Gloria Melo allowed an undercover officer who told them she was an illegal immigrant to continue working at the plant, and Figueroa advised her how to obtain a fake Social Security card.

Authorities said the informant tipped them off.

"The (informant) stated that Insolia and other MBI employees working on his behalf have knowingly and actively been hiring illegal aliens to fill their expanding workforce," Melvin H. Graham, a special agent for ICE, said in his affidavit.

Insolia, 50, Costa, 55, Figueroa, 40, and Melo, 41, each were charged with conspiring to encourage or induce illegal aliens to reside in the United States -- which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison -- and conspiring to hire illegal aliens, which is punishable by up to six months in prison.

Luis Torres, 45, was arrested and charged with transferring fraudulent identification documents. He was not an employee. He faces 15 years in prison. All five defendants are to appear Tuesday afternoon in federal court in Boston.

Authorities said hundreds of Michael Bianco employees will be "interviewed carefully" to determine their immigration status.

The practice of hiring illegals was so widespread, according to the informant, that employees became nervous during an immigration raid of a nearby company in 2005 and Insolia announced over the loudspeaker that all employees were free to leave.

"According to the (informant), approximately 75 individuals ran and hid," Graham said in his sworn testimony. "Some hid in their vehicles and others hid in boxes on the third floor at MBI."

Calls to the company were not answered Tuesday morning.

Michael Bianco Inc., founded in 1985, specialized in manufacturing high-end leather goods for retailers including Coach Inc. and Timberland Co. before landing a $9.4 million military contract in 2003 to make survival vests.

Between 2004 and 2006, it won $82 million in military contracts to make products including lightweight backpacks.

The contracts led to a massive expansion of the company's work force, which grew from 85 employees in 2003 to more than 500 today, according the affidavit.

"Employer accountability is essential to ensuring the integrity of the nation's immigration system," U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan said.

U.S. Department of Homeland Security officials have said they're stepping-up efforts to target employers who hire illegals. Last week, five former managers from IFCO Systems North America, a pallet recycling company, pleaded guilty in federal court in Albany, N.Y., to hiring undocumented foreign workers.

badbob
Old March 7, 2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Let it Bleed

Quote:
My initial thoughts; this may seem cold, but if any of these children ( who are illegals) are put in "jeopardy", the only people that can ultimately be blamed are the parents
For better or worse, if any of these children were born in the U.S., they are U.S. citizens regardless of their parent's citizenship.
Old March 7, 2007, 02:58 PM   #5
azredhawk44

Quote:
My initial thoughts; this may seem cold, but if any of these children ( who are illegals) are put in "jeopardy", the only people that can ultimately be blamed are the parents;
+1.

I don't believe that anchor babies should be considered citizens. Especially if the act that caused them to be present in this country was itself illegal. Extending citizenship to anyone not of this country is a courtesy and priveledge, not a right... French vacationers who deliver a baby here do not have the baby granted citizenship. We need to extend that same philosophy to the umpteen million anchor babies and their parents.

Kick 'em all out.
Old March 7, 2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Let it Bleed

I'm not advocating the wisdom of it, but it is in the Constitution. I'm sure it made more sense earlier in our country's history. Today, it simply complicates the deportation process. Frustrates may be a better word. Since the child is a legal citizen and the best interests of the child are served by having parents . . . .
Old March 7, 2007, 04:36 PM   #7
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Quote:
I don't believe that anchor babies should be considered citizens
+50. Anchor babies should not be considered citizens until they are 16 or 18. It could be debated. 16 is legal age to leave school for citizens but 18 is "adult" status. Could even go to 21 for drinking age and thus can exercise all rights. However I think they should be able to pass the GED before they obtain citizenship. This country isn't free so they should be expected to plan for higher learning and/or jobs besides flipping burgers or panhandleing.
Old March 7, 2007, 05:03 PM   #8
9mmsnoopy

NO sympathy from me either, the parent knew they were breaking the law, so thats on them.

The anchor baby law absolutely needs to be dealt with, they know that if they can just get here to have that baby that they will be in like flint.

More raids need to be done, and all arrested, deported.
Bushmaster AR15
Old March 7, 2007, 05:40 PM   #9
FMB42

The best interest of any child is not having an illegal alien for a "parent". These "parents" should have provided a legal guardian in the case of an "emergency" just as legal citizens often do. Besides, why can't these illegal parents take their children back to the country that they came from? Isn't immigration (legal or otherwise) a two way street between the countries involved?

Quote:
"The (informant) stated that Insolia and other MBI employees working on his behalf have knowingly and actively been hiring illegal aliens to fill their expanding workforce,"
In other words they actively hire illegals at a low wage and let legal citizens pay for their health care, housing, energy, etc with benefit giveaways and with the aid of stolen SS numbers. Probably let go a number of legal workers while they were at it as well.

Quote:
"It's been a widespread humanitarian crisis here in New
Bedford."
What they really have is a widespread corruption crisis in New Bedford.
Old March 7, 2007, 05:46 PM   #10
EJJR

I copied it in full off of yahoo, it was released there 30 minutes before I posted it here. It just may have been a condensed version of the full article. Either way, it was still disturbing.

Can we imagine if that type of logic applied to other crimes?

But officer, my parents robbed that bank, doesn't that mean I can keep the money?

WW: I agree with you fully, but our Gov't doesnt even require fluency in English to become a citizen, nevermind passing a GED.

FM: Brings up a good point, sole blame cannot be placed on the illegals themselves; its the greedy companies/individuals that are helping to rot this country from the inside out. Seems like a mutually beneficial parasitic relationship to me.

I have nothing against legal immigration ( though our immigration policy does need a major overhaul.)
and Im not a racist. Just a concerned citizen who loves his country and is tired of seeing it being exploited.

Just a couple more topics to pose to our elected officials I suppose.

Want to learn how to shoot well? http://appleseedinfo.org/
Old March 7, 2007, 08:06 PM   #11
Let it Bleed

Children born in the U.S. are U.S. citizens by birth even if their parents are illegal immigrants.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. U.S. Const. amend. XIV, ยง 1.
Old March 7, 2007, 08:30 PM   #12
rem33

Quote:
Children born in the U.S. are U.S. citizens by birth even if their parents are illegal immigrants
But the parents gotta go forthwith today NOW!

If the child is old enough to be on their own, and have a job, fine, they can stay but if not,, see ya when your old enough and have the means to be here on your own. Keep your papers kiddo..

I and millions of others are sick and tired of this mess and want it stopped TODAY if not sooner. I know I am spitting in the wind here but I do have a voice ( unless I get cut by the mods)

No more! your gone! we don't care what your circumstances are one bit! your illegal SEE YA!! No excuses.

Gosh officer I am late for work so me speeding way over the speed limit should be OK. Same thing illegal is illegal IMHO.

What do think would happen if this was put to a vote by the citizens of this country? Look to Az. and you will know the answer.
Old March 7, 2007, 08:48 PM   #13
Let it Bleed

I am by no means an advocate for illegal immigrants. Personally, it pisses me off too.

The integrity of a nationโ€™s borders is paramount in preserving its sovereignty. The primary purpose of the federal government should be to protect our borders.
Old March 7, 2007, 09:13 PM   #14
rem33

Let It Bleed

I didn't mean that toward you or anyone else in this thread.
I guess I am in a venting mood today.

Quote:
The integrity of a nationโ€™s borders is paramount in preserving its sovereignty. The primary purpose of the federal government should be to protect our borders.
I agree 100%
Old March 7, 2007, 09:26 PM   #15
revjen45

IMHO, the border should be strewn with bouncing Bettys and everything within 200 meters a free fire zone. On a conservative news site I see the Mexican Govt. singing the blues every time a mojado is injured in a fracas with LE and demanding that Fedgov persecute (yes I meant to use that word- I know what prosecute means) for civil rights violations. Federal Persecuting Shysters being the politiweasels they are, they bow down and let a foreign govt dictate American "Justice" (actually the law has nothing to do with justice). You can bet we will see the day when injuring an illegal alien in self defense will result in federal prosecution at the behest of Mexico.
Old March 7, 2007, 09:30 PM   #16
gc70

Quote:
Children born in the U.S. are U.S. citizens by birth even if their parents are illegal immigrants.
No problem. Deport the parents, giving them the option of taking the children with them or having the children placed in a US orphanage.
Old March 7, 2007, 09:30 PM   #17
Old Gaffer

LetitBleed wrote
Quote:
"Children born in the U.S. are U.S. citizens by birth even if their parents are illegal immigrants."
and cited

Quote:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. U.S. Const. amend. XIV, ยง 1.
And here's the context for the 14th amend:

Proposed 1866; Allegedly ratified 1868 - note the use of "Allegedly" ratified - there is some scholarly debate indicating it may not have been ratified after all, in which case the whole issue is mute except as a point of case law.

In 1866 the US had just completed the armed conflict known as the Civil War - I say armed conflict because as far as I can tell, the country is still not completely healed from the experience.

I'm quoting from http://www.constitution.org/col/intent_14th.txt
with words from Representative Henry Raymond of New York, the editor of the New York Times and a member of the Joint Committee and said
Quote:
"Make the colored man a citizen of the United States and

he has every right which you or I have as citizens of the

United States under the laws and constitution of the United

States. ... He has defined status; he has a country and a

home; a right to defend himself and his wife and children; a

right to bear arms"
The citation for this is the Congressional Globe, 39th Congress (Mar. 8, 1866)

This entire issue was intended to make freed slaves US Citizens. Slaves had no choice about coming to America, neither did their parents (given that the US slave trade preceded the establishment of the US by at least decades).

Nothing in this bill was intended to allow the establishment of "anchor babies" or anything like it.

BTW - and suitable for a thread of its own - there is considerable language in the debate over the 14th that focuses on the Framer's contention that RKBA is NOT an intellectual pursuit, and at least one of the gentlemen (for so they were then) specifically mentions killing an intruder who breaks his way into a man's cabin. Again I quote from the abovce cited webpage"
Quote:
Senator Samuel Pomeroy of Kansas, a supporter

of the proposed amendment, stated:

And what are the safeguards of liberty under our form of

Government? There are at least, under our Constitution,

three which are indispensable --

1. Every man should have a homestead, that is, the right to

acquire and hold one, and the right to be safe and

protected in that citadel of his love.

2. He should have the right to bear arms for the defense of

himself and family and his homestead. And if the cabin door

of the freedman is broken open and the intruder enters for

purposes as vile as were known to slavery, then should a

well-loaded musket be in the hand of the occupant to send

the polluted wretch to another world, where his

wretchedness will forever remain complete...
Nothing could be more clear to me than that.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to send this to my congress-people this evening - I think it bears nicely on some of the current political discussions.

All the best,
Rob
Old March 8, 2007, 09:37 PM   #18
Tomsriv

Ship them back. Our country is being invaded.
Old March 9, 2007, 09:14 AM   #19
mvpel

Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
What are the implications of the highlighted part? It's obvious from the wording that simply being born in the United States is not sufficient to claim citizenship, the person also has to be "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States.

For example, the United States has the authority to prohibit US citizens from entering Cuba, as has been the case for decades, but it has no authority to prohibit a Cuban citizen from entering Cuba, because the Cuban citizen is not subject to US jurisdiction in the same sense that a US citizen is.

The author of the 14th Amendment wrote, "that every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the language of your Constitution itself, a natural born citizen..."

Illegal immigrants owe allegiance to their home country, as they are citizens thereof and not US citizens, and have not declared an intention to become US citizens. US citizenship requires repudiation of all other allegiances.

So there seems to be a case to be made that birthright citizenship to children of non-immigrants is based on a big misconstruction of the Constitution and law.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old March 9, 2007, 01:33 PM   #20
Let it Bleed

Jurisdiction confers power. Notwithstanding diplomatic immunity, the US Gov't has jurisdiction over citizens of other countries when they are in the US. Without jurisdiction, there would be no legal authority to deport illegal immigrants or convict them of criminal activity. Jurisdiction and dual citizenship are separate issues.

I would like to see the law amended to require at least one parent to be a US citizen. I presume it would require a constitutional amendment. With illegal immigration a major political issue, this may be an issue where a consensus of opinion could be found.
Old March 9, 2007, 04:15 PM   #21
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
If one parent is a legal immigrant it will make it that much easier to attain citizenship which then makes it much easier to get the other parent legally immigrated and starting the citizenship process. I don't know why they haven't figured that out?
Old March 9, 2007, 04:23 PM   #22
Wildalaska

Quote:
So there seems to be a case to be made that birthright citizenship to children of non-immigrants is based on a big misconstruction of the Constitution and law.
What? Interpret the constitution? Wow I thoight it wwas all just so plain and specific that that isnt necessary...

O wait, I see, only need interpretation where your personal ox is being gored huh?

Wildwhatpartof____dontyouunderstandAlaska
Old March 9, 2007, 04:41 PM   #23
mvpel

One aspect of interpretation is "original intent," and it would certainly seem that the people who drafted and enacted the 14th Amendment didn't intend for it to confer citizenship upon children of foreigners.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old March 9, 2007, 05:04 PM   #24
SecDef

Keep cracking down on illegal employers to fix the situation. The number of anchor babies is too small a portion of the total to focus on.

Yes, enforce the law against hiring illegal persons. Yes, fix Social Security to make fraud much harder, so companies have no excuse. That also fixes welfare fraud, too. Make buying and renting cars fall under this, too... You get pulled over, you are caught. Much cheaper then "sweeping" for 11 million illegals.
Old March 9, 2007, 05:20 PM   #25
Wildalaska

Quote:
One aspect of interpretation is "original intent," and it would certainly seem that the people who drafted and enacted the 14th Amendment didn't intend for it to confer citizenship upon children of foreigners.
A yes the old "original intent" argument...

OK prove your point....give me the original intent then

WildsowecaninterperetthatAlaska