The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2002, 02:26 PM   #1
Wabostyle

Mossberg vs. Mavrick ???

Hi guys, I was at a local shop the other day and saw Mint Maverick 88 with a 18.5" beaded barrel and a buttstock shell holder/cheekpiece for $180.00. This gun appeared to be new or like new. Can anyone tell me the differences between the regular Mossburg line and these Mavericks? This particular one seemed to be well built and cycled smoothly. Comparing that with a Mossberg 500 (199.00) they had there it seemed that they were of equal quality. Anybody have one of these Mavricks? If so ..... opinions? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....
Old September 16, 2002, 03:59 PM   #2
Opie-IN

The Mossberg 500 has a tang safety on the back of the reciever and the Maverick has one in front of the trigger guard. I personally prefer the 500. The maverick cuts corners quite a bit, you will find the stocks usually dont have checkering, and the overall fit and finish is slightly lower than the 500. If you are just going to use it for HD I guess it would work fine.

Myself, I would spend the extra few bucks and get the 500 or an 870. matter of fact I did that last week.. I traded my Maverick and $40 for this used 870 and I have never been happier. I will admit the 870 looked pretty rough when I bought it, but the metal was good. A couple hours of sanding and tung oil and it looks decent.

If you are on a budget (like me) I dont think you will go wrong with a used mossberg 500 or rem 870. I feel you will have a better gun than a brand new Maverick at a similar cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870 beater.jpg (89.5 KB, 98 views)
Old September 17, 2002, 12:49 AM   #3
Sylvilagus Aquaticus

Greetings:

Got to agree with Opie on that one...I was just in a friend's store looking for a "housewarmer" last week; 3 identically configured 12 gauge pumps, 18-20 inch barrels, all with pistol grips.

Mossberg 500A, $179. Dusty, but very little 'real' use as far as I could tell. Looked like it had ridden behing the pickup truck seat waiting for a rattler for a couple of years.

Maverick 88, $190. Like new

Winchester 1300. $229 Looked unfired, but with some 'handling marks'.

I took the Mossberg home for $150, cash. More accessories for the Mossy than the other two, and I'm basically cheap. The difference in price will put a flashlight on the end of it and buy a lot of shells. Besides, Cheaper Than Dirt has plastic stocks for it ....you guessed it...cheap...if I want to duck hunt with it...cheaply.

Sometimes it's just better to pay a little more for a name, although Maverick is a subline of Mossberg.

http://www.mossberg.com

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com

Regards,
Rabbit.

"If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until
the looting started..."
Old September 17, 2002, 08:43 AM   #4
swampgator

The Maverick also uses only one action bar, versus two on the Mossberg, but with the exception of the trigger group, all parts interchange between the two.

Given a choice between the two I'd opt for the Mossberg. If money is no object though, I would bump up and buy an 870 Remington.
Old September 17, 2002, 10:01 AM   #5
Wabostyle

Thanks for the input guys.....I was looking for a inexpensive beater pump but that doesnt mean I want to sacrifice quality or durability....Im going to go with the mossberg or an 870....Thanks again....
Old September 17, 2002, 10:12 AM   #6
Opie-IN

You have chosen............wisely