The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 26, 2002, 11:22 AM   #1
Alex Johnson

What's the best material to use for shotgun wadding?

My new pedersoli 12 guage is going to be a bit of a problem to load considering I have to get the wad past the full choked muzzle. Fiber wadds I'm affraid are being cut when there pushed past this constriction and I'm sure there not going to produce good patterns. The answer seems to be the wonder wads but the price is a bit steep considering how many you would have to use per shot. I can't imagine that these would be too difficult to make yourself but what material do you use? Does anybody have any experience making wads and from what material? Thanks.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old August 26, 2002, 03:14 PM   #2
Jimmy Mac

The old folks used felt. I have used the wonderwads. Use a whole wad over the powder and about a third of one over the shot.

Hornets nest makes good wads.

Find one not in use by hornets. They have no sense of humor about someone using their nest in a muzzleloader.
Old September 2, 2002, 10:00 PM   #3
TBAUS

Jimmy mac is absolutely right. Hornets nests make great wads. That's what the old timers used. I got a hold of a couple of hornets nests from my brother in Delaware. The stuff is absolutely fireproof in a smokepole. Works fine. You can also get a leather punch in the caliber you shoot and make felt wads yourself.
Old September 3, 2002, 08:56 AM   #4
Jimmy Mac

Hornets nest is almost fire proff in your gun but it burns eaisly outside the barrel.
Old September 3, 2002, 09:50 PM   #5
TBAUS

Jimmy Mac, that's a good point. I have never tried to light it on fire out of the gun. Down here in Texas when it is dry you don't want to shoot anything out of your muzzle loader that will set the field on fire. In my shooting of hornet's nest material, I have never seen it smolder or catch fire the way I have seen other materials act. ( like teflon coated pillow ticking without any other lube)
Old September 4, 2002, 03:11 PM   #6
Kalindras

Got to get my eyes checked...

Man, when I first glanced at this one in the forum listing, I thought it said, "What's the best material to use for a shotgun wedding?"

And I thought to myself...well, I guess it depends on what the bride looks good in...!

Kal
Old September 4, 2002, 03:39 PM   #7
TBAUS

Kal, thanks for the laugh!.. I am still laughing.... shotgun wedding...
Old September 4, 2002, 10:27 PM   #8
Alex Johnson

I'd take just about anyone that comes rolled in the right thickness of felt, anyone know where to find this, the felt not the woman (already got that).
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 5, 2002, 06:00 PM   #9
TBAUS

It's been years since I bought any, but I used to by it at fabric stores that also sold upholstry material. I think the thickness ( memory is the second .. or is it the third... or...) is 1/4 inch. Someone correct me on this if I am amiss.