The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 22, 2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Doug S

Strange question about my Maverick 88

This is a little hard to describe, but I have noticed a white film forms every week or so on the rearmost, upper corner of the piece of metal that is welded onto the front of the Maverick barrel (the piece that the takedown screw goes through). I wipe it off, and a number of days later the same white film is on the exact same place on the metal piece. I'm wondering if something might be leaching out of the weld? Is this possible? Has anyone noticed anything similar on their Mossberg? Any insight would be appreciated. It doesn't seem like a big problem. I wipe it off, and it goes away for a while. I just find it odd that it keeps coming back on the same spot, and is not seen anywhere else of the gun.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; May 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:55 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Might be some flux or something... Wiping would seem to eventually stop it... But I am not positive...

Brent
Old May 22, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Doug S

Thanks hogdogs for the response. I kinda felt stupid asking such a strange question. It's just that it's come back 3 times now. The first couple of times I thought maybe I had got something on the gun, but I made sure to clean it and it's just been sitting for the last week, and I noticed it again today.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; May 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:05 PM   #4
armoredman

Pics?
Old May 22, 2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Doug S

Sorry, armoredman, I wiped it clean again before I thought about taking a picture. Maybe the next time, but it is just a white-ish film on the black metal. It is not solid white, but it is easily visible. Probably less than a cm in size.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Jim Watson

It sounds like residual bluing salts in the seam.
I'd just keep wiping, but the correct procedure is a hot water rinse.
Hot enough to dry itself, then oiled.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Doug S

Thanks very much Jim. I'll give that a try. I appreciate the helpful tip.
Old May 23, 2013, 04:09 PM   #8
deputy tom

Doug, that part is called a barrel lug. It is soldered or welded into place. Bluing salts cause the white deposits you are experiencing. Follow Jim Watson's advice to correct this. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old May 23, 2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Doug S

Thanks, deputy tom. As always your experience and help is much appreciated.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:17 PM   #10
deputy tom

Glad to help Doug. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb