The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 3, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
WorchestershireSauce

Tricky Registration Issue

I live in Orange County, NY for reference purposes. I have the paperwork for my Pistol Permit, I just have one tricky issue to get past.

My Grandfather (now deceased) went overseas in WWII and came back (as many did) with a Luger P08. There is no paperwork to go with the gun, and all of the serial numbers are in-place.

A Family member is in possession of the firearm on the NJ/PA border. I would like to legally obtain and keep it for sentimental and display purposes, but I don't want to violate any laws. How can I go about getting the gun registered for legal ownership?

Any advice would be most appreciated. I had read in a previous thread that the gun could be brought to PA and shipped via a regular gun retailer to a NY retailer who would be bound to register it. If that's the case then: 1. Can my family member just take the gun to the dealer sans paperwork or license, and 2: assuming 1 is yes, can I use this gun to get my permit in NY?

Thanks very much.
Old January 3, 2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

They can ship the firearm to an FFL in New York who will hold it until it until you get your permit and the gun is listed. All you need is the serial number to have it added to your permit.

You'll have to contact the county about the exact procedure because some counties allow you to submit the serial number with the permit application and have it added directly as soon as the permit is issued (in fact some require a firearm be purchased/listed/owned before a permit can be issued) while some counties will require the permit to be issued before a gun can be added.

In any case, it will have to be shipped to an FFL in New York in order for you to take possession.
Old January 3, 2012, 02:36 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Apply for your permit. List the Luger ser# (back in the 70s when I lived in NY, they wanted maker, Ser# barrel length & caliber). Follow the process, and be patient. The gun will have to be picked up from an FFL dealer in NY, AFTER you get your permit listing it.

Contact the dealer you plan to use, they will help you out and walk you through the process (and likely charge a fee). Pay them and don't whine, there is no other legal option (unless you can find another dealer who charges less).

Getting a NY permit listing the gun is registration. You are covered there.

Also, be aware that permits issued outside of New York City are not valid in NYC. Even though you can have a valid permit for the rest of the state, if you take your gun into NYC, you are breaking the law as it currently exists.
Old January 3, 2012, 02:49 PM   #4
WorchestershireSauce

Thanks very much for the info. I'll get in contact with a dealer, and I'm not worried about a fee for handling it. My two top concerns are either ending up in prison or getting the firearm confiscated (or both). As for NYC, I rarely visit the place. In any case the Luger will be kept safe and sound in a locked case.
Old January 3, 2012, 11:23 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
As for NYC, I rarely visit the place. In any case the Luger will be kept safe and sound in a locked case.
As long as that locked case stays outside NYC limits, you're ok. But if you have the gun in your posession (and that includes in your luggage, or any thing you can get to, including a locked case if you have the key/combination) inside NYC limits without a valid NYC specific permit FOR THAT GUN you will have trouble.

You probably realize this, but I need to be clear, NYC does not recognize any permits except the ones they issue. And that includes permits issued anywhere else in NY state.

The handgun laws in NY are not the reason I left NY in the late 70s, but they are one of the reasons I'm glad I did. You can own and enjoy handguns in NY, but its a lot easier in other parts of the nation.