The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2006, 08:03 PM   #1
bjmanersr

9x18 MAK

Has anyone loaded this.I've got a million questions but if I could find some info it would probably do ok.I finally broke down and ordered a FEG PA63 from J&G,Its only 140.00 plus 50 or so misc.and looks nearly like new.
Thanks
Old April 20, 2006, 08:15 PM   #2
joab

No reload recommendations but go to Makarov.com and get the spring kit to fix the trigger

Last edited by joab; April 20, 2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old April 20, 2006, 09:27 PM   #3
joneb

The loads for the FEG and the Mak may be different, be careful . The PM is over built and with a 21 LBS recoil spring, it can eat hot 9x18 loads . Not so with other firearms chambered for the 9x18.
Old April 20, 2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Good point. If you go to Makarov.com, you will find load recommendations there, but watch out for what Jibjab said.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 21, 2006, 01:13 AM   #5
Wrangler5

I load for the Mak. I use mostly Accurate powders, and the Accurate Data Book has loading data. Only problem is finding cheap bullets and reloadable cases. I've bought empty Starline cases, and have bought S&B and Winchester ammo (both made by S&B) and collected the empties. It's a bit of a pain, as the empties really fly out of the gun and take some looking to find.

For bullets I mostly end up using hard cast lead 93 grainers and load for soft shooting. (I carry a Mak loaded with either Hornady XTPs or, preferably, Silver Bear JHPs.) I worked down to a lead plinking load that is so gentle the cases only eject about a foot out of the gun (Russian hardball cases end up about 20 feet away.) I can shoot those light loads all day with no discomfort whatever. I have also bought XTP bullets, and duplicated the commercial Hornady loads to practice with.

I always find it particularly satisfying to use my own ammo at a range session. But I'll second jibjab's thought, too - don't try to go overboard with the loads.
Old April 21, 2006, 09:03 AM   #6
sterno

Which Accurate powder specifically do you use? I'm just starting to load for the Mak as well, but I've got a PM not an FEG.
Old April 21, 2006, 09:26 AM   #7
Leftoverdj

I load .380. not 9mm Mak, but the two cartridges are so similar that .380 data will work for the Mak while giving slightly lower pressure. Both AA-2 and AA-5 are suitable. The Mak has a little more powder capacity and a slightly larger bore, which work to lower pressures, but both cartridges use bullets of similar weights at similar velocities. You'd need Mak specific date for max loads, but not for plinkers.

I'm also a bullet caster, and both cartridges are made to order for cast bullets. There is no real need for jacketed bullets at these pressure levels. A Lee double cavity mould is about the price of 100 jacketed bullets and will give a lifetime supply.
Old April 21, 2006, 08:22 PM   #8
bjmanersr

Thanks guys

That helps!
Old April 21, 2006, 11:48 PM   #9
Wrangler5

For my 93g lead plinkers I use ~4.6g #5, and get ~800 fps out of my Mak over my chrono. This cycles my gun reliably with a 21# recoil spring. For the XTP bullet I use ~6.5g #7, which gives ~950fps, and just about duplicates the Hornady commercial load which I clocked at ~920fps.

These are NOT particularly hot loads for the Mak round, giving ~130 and ~190 ft lbs of energy, respectively. I clocked the Wolf 100g round at ~990 fps (218 ft lbs), and the Brown Bear 92g and Barnaul 95g FMJs at a ~1000fps (211 ft lbs.) The Silver Bear 115g JHP also came in right at 1000fps for 255 ft lbs of energy. Now THAT's a stout load for the Mak.

I'd guess that the Brown Bear and Barnaul loads are what would be considered "military standard" for the Mak, and so that level of load probably would not overstress your PA63.
Old April 24, 2006, 02:25 AM   #10
joneb

I hav'nt tried it yet but Alliant's "power pistol" looks promising.