The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 29, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1
dusterdude

new holster,initial observations

just returned from a trip to my local gun store and i bought a blackhawk iwb nylon holster for my 1911 while i was there.when i got home and tried it on i noticed the outer material was grabby as i put it between my pants and t-shirt.i do hope that the material gets less grabby as i use it,if not i will have to return it and try something else.do any of you have any experience with this holster and could you tell me if the holster will get less grabby with use or is there a way to smooth it out a bit?thanks
Old October 30, 2010, 06:32 AM   #2
MW surveyor

I've used this type of "holster" in the past and they remain "grabby" for a long time. If it was not grabby, it defeats its purpose to remain in your waist band when you pull the gun. If you want something less grabby and cheap (but not as cheap as what you have now), try to find an IWB leather holster that is made by Galco I believe. It is not form fitted and quite light weight leather. Or you may be able to find a cheap kydex IWB clip on.
Old October 31, 2010, 04:07 PM   #3
dusterdude

cool,thanks for the info,i appreciate it.
Old November 17, 2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Seraph

Cheap holsters are a money sink.

~ Miyamoto Musashi
Old November 17, 2010, 07:32 PM   #5
dusterdude

yea,im getting more used to it,i still wouldnt recommend it for everyday carry,im already looking at better holsters,i must say im disappointed in blackhawk for selling such a cheap piece of junk.
Old November 17, 2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Find a well made leather holster and you'll be very happy with it. I'd suggest Bianchi or Galco is a good place to start as both make well made, durable leather holsters that hold up well but won't break the bank.

Like suggested above, cheap holsters are a waste of money.

For the record, buy a good gun belt too. No matter what holster you use, an expensive holster being held up by a cheap belt will still be a total PITA. A
good leather gun belt is actually more important than the holster.
Old November 18, 2010, 07:50 PM   #7
dusterdude

i must say i really appreciate all the insight you folks have given on this,please dont hesitate to add more as you see fit.thanks again
Old November 20, 2010, 04:56 PM   #8
gimike

Say no to Cheap holsters

Garrett Industries Silent Thunder line is an excellent cross between cheap and custom holsters. They have a leather interior permanently bonded to a Kydex outer shell. The Kydex makes the holster extremely durable and allows for one handed re-holster. The Hermann Oak leather interior protects your gun from normal Kydex wear, wicking of oils, and promotes a smooth silent draw. Check them out at giholsters.com

Last edited by gimike; November 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: removed link
Old November 20, 2010, 05:38 PM   #9
dusterdude

thanks mike,im sort of disappointed in myself,i read elsewhere on the forum about a kydex style holster that allows one to swap the holster part for different guns and for the life of me i cant remember who makes,i thought i save the link but apparently i did not,if anyone knows who makes holster please let me know,
Old November 21, 2010, 12:30 PM   #10
gimike

dusterdude

I'm guessing you're referring to a hybrid holster (flat leather piece with kydex addition). If the kydex and leather are attached with a removable media (not rivets which is standard), changing kydex from pistol to pistol is possible. Look for hybrid holster makers and check how they attach the leather and kydex to each other. If the attachment is not permanent, they can do what you are asking for.

Last edited by gimike; November 21, 2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old November 21, 2010, 03:34 PM   #11
gimike

Swapping holster parts

I did a little more research on your question, and found that the Comp-tac Minotaur will allow you to attach different sized kydex shells to change pistols. They charge $38.00 for the additional shells (according to their web-site).

I asked Ron about these, and he informed me that GIHolsters used to promote an American Freedom line that did the same thing, but we weren't happy with the retention that this type of holster offers, and removed them from our product line.

Good luck with your holster search!
Old November 21, 2010, 05:35 PM   #12
dusterdude

thats it!!!,mike you are the man,thanks
Old November 21, 2010, 06:48 PM   #13
Wag

Wow. Looking at that Minotaur. Great looking holster.

--Wag--
Old November 22, 2010, 08:02 AM   #14
dusterdude

yes it is