The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 14, 2005, 01:13 AM   #1
familywgn

soon to join the BP family

Well, my wife ok'd me to buy a gun, so I went down to a local sports warehouse and tried out a few. The Dragoon was nice, but heavy; same as the Colt Walker repro. The 1958 Army however felt just right. I hope to order one from Cabelas tomorrow, as the price in town was $240 for just the pistol. Caeblas has one with micarta grips & starter kit for $250.

I do have other questions, though.

What is the purpose of lubed wads?

What type of cleaning agents do you recommend?

Thanks again for you help,
Old December 14, 2005, 06:14 AM   #2
Low Key

Welcome aboard familywgn!
The lubed wads will help to keep the fouling soft and will help to keep the mechanics of the gun lubricated and running smooth while you are shooting, in my experience the lubed wads under the ball make a big difference in keeping the cylinder from binding up.
As for cleaning agents, there are a lot of commercially available products like TC's #13 bore cleaner and such, but good old hot soapy water does the trick.
I use a sinkfull of hot soapy water to neutralize the corrosive salts from the powder and if the barrel or cylinder needs a little extra cleaning I use some hoppes #9 on them and then scrub all that back off when I'm done and coat the internal parts with anti-seize lubricant and everything else with bore butter, especially the inside of the barrel.
Have fun with that new pistol and be careful, any questions come back here and ask, the people here have lots of good experience and won't steer you in the wrong direction.
Old December 14, 2005, 07:23 AM   #3
Remington kid

It seems to me that I read that Cabelas kit comes with Cabelas cleaning solutions as well as the balls and so on. Many of us like Windex and then dried and then oiled and dried again, but if you look it up you will find all kinds of concoctions from different people and they all work fine.For your first wads I wold recommend the wonder wads as they are not all greasie but work great. You will also want a nipple pick and pipe cleaners for cleaning and drying the nipples. Q tips work great for getting all the cleaning fluid and oil out from the bottom of the cylinder. It's a good idea to get some white grease or Nosieze for the nipples. Remove the nipples and place just a little dab on the threads and then replace the nipples. A lot of people complain about getting the nipples out after they have been in the gun for a while but if you use this method you will not have any problems with that. I like to use a small stiff paint brush to apply the grease to the threads.
As Low Key stated I found the best thing to keep your barrel clean and to help keep it running smooth is a little grease over a dry wad and then the ball seated.It will also help asure no chain fires.
I would also like to recommend that you try #10 Remington caps or the German #1075. CCI Caps run a little on the small side and and #11 is a little large. The new Remingtons are really great!
Before you shoot that gun get to know it but don't dry fire it on the nipples. Make sure you give it a really good cleaning and then swab grease in the barrel after you heat it real good with a blow dryer. Then let it sit and cool and then run a dry patch through it before you shoot it. This will help cure the barrel.
If you are going to use BP keep your loads around 25-30g of fffg for your first 50 or so shots just to make sure all is well with your new Remington.
If you have problems getting the cylinder in and out do not force it. Find someone who knows what there doing to show you how or ask one of us on here and we will try to talk you through it.
If you have any doubts about what your doing or your just not sure please post it on here and let one of us try to help you out. It's better to be safe than sorry and there is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to any firearm. Have fun and you are about to be the owner of one of the finest
revolvers ever built, today or yesteryear.
Old December 15, 2005, 06:31 AM   #4
familywgn

Thanks for the help guys. I do appreciate it.
Old December 16, 2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Easy E

Yer gonna love it!!

I just got into BP myself. I've owned an 1860 for almost 20 years, and shot it for the first time 3 weeks ago. Now I'm looking at muskets, and thinking about the 1858 as my next revolver.

Enjoy!
Old December 18, 2005, 06:08 AM   #6
Smokin_Gun

XXXlint choice Easy )
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php