The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 28, 2010, 02:15 PM   #1
darkgael

Book

I need to get a book about gunsmithing revolvers. I just acquired a little antique .32 Short Colt bulldog. I will shoot BP loads in it when I get it fixed.
I've not worked on revolvers before, only shot them, and so my understanding of how the parts work together is minimal.
Suggest a book? Shop manual. I have J.B. Woods' Gun Digest book about gunsmithing revolvers. That shows me how to take this gun apart. It does not explain how everything works together - though, to be honest, I have looked only at the chapter about the Bulldog pistol.
Pete
Old January 28, 2010, 09:13 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Woods basically covers problem areas, he does not go into much detail, and I know of no book that covers those guns (or any of the inexpensive old guns) in any detail. It has been only recently that there have even been books on the cheaper guns in general and most of the writers are not technical people. They describe markings, give dates, etc., but there is little or no information on how the guns work. Kuhnhausen has books on Colt, S&W, and Ruger DA revolvers, but not on the old timers.

On the positive side, the guns are pretty simple. Do you know who made that revolver? Bulldogs (so marked) and Bulldog types were made here by Forehand & Wadsworth, Iver Johnson, H&R, and Hopkins and Allen (all out of business), and imported from England (mainly Webley, the originator of the type) and Belgium by the ton.

The Bulldog fad stopped around 1900. Parts are about impossible to get, even if one knows the actual maker, and having parts made is rarely cost effective.

Few gunsmiths will even touch those guns, because repairs are frustrating and time consuming, and usually cost much more than the gun is worth.

So, I wish you luck in trying to repair that revolver. I do suggest you buy some concave pin punches from Brownells so as not to flatten the ends on any pins you need to remove.

Jim
Old January 28, 2010, 10:11 PM   #3
darkgael

Thanks

Thanks, Jim. The gun is a clone of the F&W Bulldog. it's easy to take apart. All screws, no pins to worry about. I can that the major problems are timing and indexing. Those parts are worn or broken. I feel pretty confident that I can make any part that I need. I just want to be sure about what exactly each part does.
Pete