The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 08:46 PM   #1
countryfied252

ruger single six hammer question

I was wondering if I am walking through the woods and my hammer gets caught on a branch and gets pulled half way back and is then released, will the gun go off or will the transfer bar not allow the hammer to come In contact with the bullit unless the trigger is pulled?
Old January 13, 2013, 08:49 PM   #2
comn-cents

Only if the trigger is pulled will the hammer hit the firing pin.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:27 PM   #3
rclark

Yep, no problem.... Just verify it yourself . You can see the transfer bar position in all stages of pulling the hammer back and letting it back down (without touching the trigger) .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Bob Wright

You've got to have your head way up in the clouds not to notice a branch tugging at your hip with enough force to raise the hammer of a Single Six.

Likely the safety strap will prevent any lifting. If there is no safety strap, the gun would likely be knocked from your holster.

Bob Wright
Old January 13, 2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Doyle

What Bob said - plus, most any decent holster will have a retention strap that goes over the hammer.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

It is a mechanical thing. Although I am a fan of the transfer bar it still is mechanical and subject to faults and failures. Depending on that 100% for safety is not wise, IMHO. It SHOULD protect against unintentional fire. I disagree that one must have his head in the clouds for an unintentional cocking while in the woods. It happened to me during a deer hunt with a SA revolver that did not have a transfer bar. I didn't discover it until I was back in camp. I later switched to a full flap for that gun. For my SS I made my own holster that covers the hammer but is still open top and easily accessible. I often wonder why commercial holsters are not offered this way. Great design, if I say so myself. And simple.
Oops, pic didn't attach. Try again.
Apparently the forum will not allow posting of a pic more than once. The holster link can be seen in this thread:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417292
Old January 15, 2013, 08:13 PM   #7
GeauxTide

Easy, don't carry any sidearm without a snapped strap covering the hammer. The branch will be pulling you, not the pistol.