The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 6, 2009, 10:09 PM   #51
KC9LDB

Only used once, turned out to be a raccoon diggin in the garbage, didnt shoot him, just watched and laughed at my own paranoid moment

Ex Arizona PD. Mossberg 500 speedfeed everything, ghost rings I love it
Old June 7, 2009, 08:11 PM   #52
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I just went through this whole thread, again, and did not see a shotgun incapable of doing the job defense wise.

Some of those need more wear marks badly. please rectify.

And that's the crux.

There's way more good defensive shotguns than good defensive shotgunners.

If you spent more last year on adjustable stocks, Holographic/Boutique sights and other bling than on ammo and range fees, your priorities need re- examination.

Immediately....

If however, the number of shells you emptied last year runs well into 4 figures, stick anything you want on your shotgun.

Although, chances are if you did acquire a high round count, chances are your pet HD tool is rather simple and barebones.

Not that some of the addons lack merit, the best shotgunners tend to stick to the basics.
Old June 7, 2009, 09:13 PM   #53
Creeper

Right there with ya' Dave McC, but... that's frequently the nature of the learning curve where male ego and a poor understanding of the realities of weapon control are the standards of the day.

Real combat and tactics is a vague thing for the majority of citizen/gun owners. Frequently, what you see on TV and movies, what you do in a video game is translated into what you think will happen in real life.
Nothing further from the truth of course, but you've got to be in it to understand it... or at least have it explained to you in terms you understand.

If everyone that owned a HD gun took a 3 day course from a pro, and shot 1K rounds a year or better in practice... we'd all be safer for it, and there'd be a lot less useless accessories on the market, fading away due to lack of interest.

Quite often it seems that the gun is bought... and then the interwebnet or "buddy" recommended farkles get added pending the first shooting session.

If said first shooting session is long enough, the owner smart enough, then some of them farkles come off... and the crap ones fall off of their own accord.
Them what shoot little and own mostly... well, they end up with a 13lb shotgun that they can't even remember how to operate when they need to most.

Them what shoot frequently, and sometimes carry a shotgun for extended periods, find out that some of them less than practical farkles have no purpose but to add weight and/or become things that stick out and get in the way.

I think... and this is IMO of course, that them what stay in the game long enough (much like anything) learn soon enough that the further you deviate from the basic needs, the more likely you'll encounter problems.
  • I need a light 'cause I live in the mountain foothills and there's no such thing as street lights 'round here... and damn, it's dark at night. Sometimes, it's just a bear or 'coon or other furry thing... no interest in plugging a critter.
  • I need a sling 'cause I live on three wooded acres and tend to wonder 'round.
  • I need 7-8 rounds all up, 'cause I was in a thing once about 35 years ago where I had 5-6 rounds... and it wern't enough to control the situation to my liking.
  • Big ghost rings, 'cause I'm a geezer with bad eyes.
  • A semi-auto, 'cause I got the tendinitis and the carpal tunnel... and pumping blows goats.
  • A Benelli, 'cause I trust 'em to go bang every single stinkin' time.
To paraphrase Matt Quigley... I really don't find a use for much else.

Christ... I wrote a lot of stuff. Most is pure crap of course.

Cheers,
C
Old June 7, 2009, 09:52 PM   #54
6x6pinz

Dave McC
Posted the pic of my old 870 some time ago but if you like a shotgun with wear marks this is the one. I have been told it is time to replace it, but the very faithful service it has given me and continues to give me means something to me. Had it out just last weekend for some skeet shooting, it still has what it takes to get the job done.
Oh yeah the only accessory is the sling for when it gets to go chase game with me.

Old June 7, 2009, 09:57 PM   #55
Brigadier

Case in point:

Old June 7, 2009, 10:05 PM   #56
Creeper

Got a lot 'O lights and stuff stickin' out... don't it.

Them 930s are a touch on the muzzle heavy side for me... I'm guessing that ones a bit more than a touch on the heavy side.

C
Old June 7, 2009, 10:07 PM   #57
Brigadier

Yeah, I like mine nice and simple. I'm debating a Mesa tactical 4 shell side saddle, but I like how it handles as is. I do have a metal safety button coming for it.
Old June 7, 2009, 10:22 PM   #58
Creeper

I've got the MT 6 shell/1913 rail on my M2 right now... still debating with myself if it's going to stay on or not.
They recently improved the mounting system for Benelli, so it's not a reliability issue any more.

I've got the stock 5+1 magazine. Didn't really want to go with an extended magazine because I don't like muzzle heavy guns... but I got a good deal on a Nordic tube recently, so I'll try that.

It's going to be the shell holder or the mag tube, but not both. I like the shell holder because it's in the middle balance of the gun and other than the added weight, doesn't effect the handling. The Nordic tube... well, we'll see.

Something to consider Brigadier... with a six shell, you can carry up to six... with a four, four is your limit, and the weight between the two is only a few ounces.
The eight shell... I guess there's a need, but it's just too much for my taste.

C
Old June 7, 2009, 10:40 PM   #59
Brigadier

I have a Tac-Star 6-shell holder on my old Mossberg 600AT, and I don't like how when it's loaded the weight likes to rotate the gun counterclockwise.

My 930 is 4+1. I have 5 rds of 00 in a butt cuff, and 4 slugs on my sling. It is pretty balanced as is. I like how it handles.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:13 PM   #60
Brigadier

New Tacti-cool Coach Gun

You can't make this stuff up:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...le_defense.php
Old June 7, 2009, 11:44 PM   #61
nimbleVagrant

^I keep a 12ga. coachgun in the closet for HD duty but it's hammered. I keep both barrels loaded with 00 buck, hammers down. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a hammerless shotgun loaded.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:19 PM   #62
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

6X6, that's a good set of marks. It's getting good and slick, I bet.

As for retirement, working life of an 870 is about 250K shells. Yours has a way to go.

To everyone....

My HD 870 has a working weight nigh 9 lbs. I'm a big lout and still have a decent amount of strength. And LOTS of practice.

Still, Frankenstein, my overly publicized parts 870. with a curb weight of 7 lbs, is snake fast and nimble as heck. And I can carry it all day long.
Old June 8, 2009, 09:46 PM   #63
MagnumWill

My god Brigadier- That thing probably loads more AA batteries than shells!

I'm all about what Creeper said. I pulled that point sight off, because I figured that i'm looking at a red dot as opposed to a brass dot (that won't stick out or break). I might even pull the sidesaddle off if I convert it to an A1. I think all you need on a shotgun is a sling and a light, really. I tend to think you only need the gun at night, cause that's when your mind starts playing games on you
Old June 8, 2009, 10:26 PM   #64
Brigadier

Quote:
My god Brigadier- That thing probably loads more AA batteries than shells!

I'm all about what Creeper said. I pulled that point sight off, because I figured that i'm looking at a red dot as opposed to a brass dot (that won't stick out or break). I might even pull the sidesaddle off if I convert it to an A1. I think all you need on a shotgun is a sling and a light, really. I tend to think you only need the gun at night, cause that's when your mind starts playing games on you
That is NOT my 930!! Mine looks like this:

I think the other one belongs to Paul Blart.
Old June 8, 2009, 10:41 PM   #65
nimbleVagrant

An HD shotgun doesn't even need a sling. Unless your livingroom is 10 acre trek a sling is at best a distraction, at worst, something to snag or get tangled up. I don't think I've ever seen a police issue shotgun with a sling.
Old June 8, 2009, 10:50 PM   #66
Brigadier

Never lay a shotgun down. If it goes down in a fight[jam, breakage], a sling will let you transition to pistol and keep control of it.
Old June 8, 2009, 10:53 PM   #67
nimbleVagrant

I'm not talking about some fantasy shootout, I'm talking home defense.
Old June 9, 2009, 04:47 AM   #68
RF11

Quote:
Brigadier You can't make this stuff up:

I have to admit I want one.

Just bought a Benelli M3 will post pics soon.
Old June 9, 2009, 09:39 AM   #69
Brigadier

Quote:
I'm not talking about some fantasy shootout, I'm talking home defense.
So am I.
Old June 9, 2009, 10:47 AM   #70
KLRANGL

Quote:
Brigadier You can't make this stuff up:

Haha, that is a bit extreme. Though one of my dads friends, who retired 26 years in Delta, says he keeps a side by side for home defense. Cant really argue with that, but I never understood it myself.

For me, I like the 18" 870.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:39 PM   #71
Steamboatsig

edit

Last edited by Steamboatsig; June 10, 2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Because the Lakers lost.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:40 PM   #72
doh_312

I put a sling on my shoty because it stays with me even if it jams or otherwise fails. If I lay it down because it fails or otherwise, and transition to my pistol, now the shoty is open for someone else to take. What happens if BG gets it and gets it working? Now I just armed my enemy with a stronger weapon. No thanks, the shoty stays with me.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:54 PM   #73
Crosshair

I'm getting this one transferred to me in the very near future. Went out and shot it at the SOT's place last Friday. Contrary to looks, it is quite an effective weapon once you get familiar with it. 20 gauge 3" shells will be interesting, though might be a bad idea as the gun is VERY light. A Super Shorty feels like a 22 rimfire after shooting this.

Will make a great overnight gun to pack with me for work. Hard to fit an 18" Ithaca 37 into the laptop bag I use for my overnight luggage.
Old June 9, 2009, 01:17 PM   #74
Amen

Remington 870 HD 18"bbl, +2 tube extender from the factory.

A sling just becasue it is a good thing to have.

I threw on a Knox stock for several reasons: 1)collapsable stock keeps the pull length down for the wife, 2)pistol grip, they just feel better to me, 3)recoil reduction for the wife.

I also added a bushnell holosight made for Remington shotguns. Pretty slick setup, just pop out your receiver pins and slide on. Only reason for that is that my HD gun is also my deer gun.

Next is going to be a surefire forend. THe only reason it has not come sooner is that I had a hard time putting an accesory on a gun that costs as much as the gun.
Old June 9, 2009, 04:18 PM   #75
Brigadier

Quote:
I put a sling on my shoty because it stays with me even if it jams or otherwise fails. If I lay it down because it fails or otherwise, and transition to my pistol, now the shoty is open for someone else to take. What happens if BG gets it and gets it working? Now I just armed my enemy with a stronger weapon. No thanks, the shoty stays with me.
Well said.