The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2012, 09:06 AM   #1
PawPaw

Next Door Newbie

This fellow next door had inherited some rifles from his father. Nice working guns. Then he starts asking questions about ammo, and I try to steer him in the right direction. Earlier this week, he happens to walk over while I'm building ammo, so he asks about reloading and I give him the five-minute tour. Then yesterday he comes over with some ammo, wondering what type bullet is loaded in the ammo, so we take some boxes off the shelf and talk about bullet design. Then he asks how much my ammo costs me on a per-shot basis, so we get out paper and pencil and make some notes.

He's astounded that he's paying over a buck per shot, and my ammo comes in at less than half that. In some cases (cast bullet ammo) at a tenth of what he's paying.

I've got an extra, old, single stage press that he doesn't know about. I might hand it to him the next time he comes over, and create a monster. His wife doesn't speak to me now, so what's the harm?

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 21, 2012, 09:30 AM   #2
carprivershooter

A plan

That sounds like a plan, sound like you get to mentor the guy in his new found hobby. His wife may not speak to him for awhile either. A friend of mind introduced be to roasting coffee. he brought me a home made roaster and some green beans and the was the start of a new hobby. I an't think of a better way to start someone down the dark path of relaoding then to give a single stage press to get them started.
Old April 21, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3
djcantr

What a great plan! It'd also provide good bonding time with your neighbor as you pass along your knowledge to him.
Old April 21, 2012, 10:13 AM   #4
BDS-THR

Nice.

I did the same with my shooting/reloading mentor and he generously took me under his wing and patiently showed me the ropes. I am forever indebted to him and "pay forward" whenever I get an opportunity.

I think reloading is like telling a beer drinker where he could find some really great beer at lower price.
Old April 21, 2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Crankgrinder

I got turned on to reloading by a guy named Bob. Starting out he trained me to do machine work at my job almost ten years ago, then we got started talking about guns, found out he was once a competition shooter/reloader. Bought a turret press like the one he had,he told me how to set it all up,tell me about things he used to do,loads he liked and all that stuff.Over the course of a few years i ended up with a pretty decent education in it because of Bob! Dont know how many times i thanked that guy for it all, when he goes it sure will be a sad day.
Old April 21, 2012, 11:53 AM   #6
serf 'rett

Quote:
I (c)an't think of a better way to start someone down the dark path
I chose to think of intro to reloading as helping him to move toward the light!
Old April 23, 2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Shootest

I encourage all I know to start reloading. Some take a surprising amount of convincing but all thank me once started.
Old April 23, 2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Cornbread

That's like feeding a stray dog . . . He’ll never go away and you will always have a companion .
Old April 23, 2012, 09:46 PM   #9
William T. Watts

Hey fellows thanks, I needed a chuckle, I didn't start in this hobby with any help but it would have been nice!! William
Old April 23, 2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Mike-Mat

I got a friend started in shooting. When he bought his first pistol, I explained the advantages of reloading. I remember him looking at me like "Why would I want to do that?". He's now the proud owner of a big blue press cranking out 400-600 rounds a week, to feed his and his dad's habit.

Reloading: Your unexpected hobby, to support your hobby.