The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Man killed by deer at Texas hunting ranch

Dang, killed by a rare deer.

This is the first time I've heard about someone being gored by a deer in years, let alone being killed by it.

http://www.woai.com/mostpopular/stor...E9Ct9LByA.cspx

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 8, 2009, 01:22 PM   #2
grymster2007

What caliber for a Barasingha?

I'm thinking the deer cut the guy's femoral artery... but just a guess.

Brutal!
Old October 8, 2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

"Puncture wounds to the side and thigh...."

Could have been femoral or heart, or both. I'm willing to bet that's not a pleasant way to go.:barf:
Old October 8, 2009, 01:31 PM   #4
rantingredneck

Some years ago I was walking back to my truck after a morning hunt and came across a guy sitting on a log bleeding from the chest. My first thought was "Holy crap he's been shot" but it turns out he'd shot a buck and thought it to be dead. When he went to tie a rope around it's neck to drag it out of the woods the deer had other ideas and gored him and ran off. Luckily it was cold and he was wearing a pretty thick jacket or the nasty, but largely superficial, wounds he had would have been much worse and could have been life threatening.

Male deer have sharp pointy things on their heads and the neck muscles with which to use them. Be careful!

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)

Last edited by rantingredneck; October 8, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 8, 2009, 01:52 PM   #5
MLeake

I seem to recall...

.... from some autumn safety standdowns...

that deer lead pretty much all animals in the US except dogs, when it comes to killing humans.

Not sure if those stats include vehicular accidents.

Definitely not the first time I've heard of a hunter getting gored or kicked by a deer, though; most of the reports I've read involved a hunter following a blood trail and being surprised by the still-alive deer.

Can't blame the deer; I'd do the same thing, in its hooves...
Old October 8, 2009, 02:50 PM   #6
koolminx

My best buddy was Gored by a Spike elk his buddy shot while hunting in Utah about 20 years ago... Tore a good hole in his bicep... It was dropped by a 7MM mag and wasn't a large bull at all. It took a few minutes to walk to it, and when they go there he leaned in to slice the throat and it reared on him.
Old October 8, 2009, 04:20 PM   #7
FrontSight

I think this can pretty much shut down any future arguments that game farms are nothing like hunting....these animals can & do kill people!
Old October 8, 2009, 04:47 PM   #8
plainsman456

Teds new show "tracking the killer buck". I had a cousin get ramed by a deer,when the deer stopped he had almost no shirt left on his back.It took him months to get healed up.Good Luck
Old October 8, 2009, 05:05 PM   #9
rickyjames

well i guess those pen raised hand fed target deer can be dangerous.
Old October 8, 2009, 07:03 PM   #10
troy_mclure

my uncle dropped a doe with his bow, as he was climbing down from the treestand he heard a noise, by the time he turned his head the deer was butting him in the chest. the deer kept hitting him against the tree till he was able to jab it in the neck with his $$$$ hunting knife. it ran off with the knife in its neck. his ribs were very badly bruised for weeks.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old October 8, 2009, 08:18 PM   #11
kyle1974

the YO ranch is over 40,000 acres... it's hardly a "pen".....
Old October 8, 2009, 09:12 PM   #12
RNB65

Quote:
that deer lead pretty much all animals in the US except dogs, when it comes to killing humans.
That's what I've always heard. But it not because of deer attacks. It's due to people losing control of their cars trying to avoid deer in the road and fatally crashing.

Last edited by RNB65; October 8, 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old October 8, 2009, 09:16 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It's due to people loosing control of their cars trying to avoid deer in the road and fatally crashing.
It includes all deer-vehicle accidents. Some are caused by swerving, some actually involve the deer being hit. Deer have a propensity for coming through the windshield when hit and that's pretty hard on the folks in the car.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:05 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I should think that, if you're wondering how "dangerous" deer are, then you'd have to discount hitting them with a vehicle. Otherwise, you'd have to put trees in the list somewhere. In fact, I'd bet that trees kill more people than deer.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:37 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
In fact, I'd bet that trees kill more people than deer.
When people in cars get killed by trees it's almost invariably because someone drives a car off the road and into a tree. In other words it's not like the tree jumped out into the road in front of their vehicle and then froze in the headlights...
Old October 8, 2009, 10:39 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, yeah, there is that....
Old October 8, 2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Austinite

[Not really appropriate for this thread. My apologies.]

Last edited by Austinite; October 9, 2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old October 9, 2009, 01:37 AM   #18
Double Naught Spy

People are attacked by deer fairly regularly and a bunch are killed. Most notably, the attacks are around the fall rutting season such as the 3 folks reported here as killed in 2005.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-attacks_x.htm

One here in Fall of 2007
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14289532/detail.html

This lady was nearly killed a few days ago.
http://cbs13.com/local/deer.attacks....2.1229812.html

Y'all may remember the SIU attacks...
http://violentdeer.blogspot.com/

Of course, you have some idiots who bring on the attacks themselves...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khKrd1RNy2U

Heck, the Mayor of Fort Thomas, Kentucky even has a warning about deer attacks posted on his website!
http://www.ftthomas.org/Deer.html

As far as the comments about deer killing people in cars, there is a huge difference between collisions with animals and animals actually attacking people. Deer may be a driving hazard, but there isn't much in the way of evidence to suggest that deer/vehicle collisions resulting in the deaths of humans were caused by attacking deer.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; October 9, 2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old October 9, 2009, 05:06 AM   #19
jughead2

deer

i have read that if one shoots an animal and it is lying there with its eyes shut chances are it AINT dead. any truth to that. if so it would simplify the sometimes problem.
Old October 9, 2009, 06:37 AM   #20
Uncle Billy

Had a friend who dropped a buck with his .50 caliber caplock rifle during muzzle loader season. He stood where he was for awhile, what he thought was long enough to determine that the deer was dead, but he didn't use the time to reload his rifle. Satisfied that the deer was down for good he walks up to the buck, which promptly tries to stand up. My friend has no alternative but to beat the crap out of the deer with his rifle, swinging it and jamming the deer with the brass butt plate, holding the muzzle. He finally killed it all the way, but the rack was ruined, and so was his rifle. Live and learn...
Old October 9, 2009, 08:04 AM   #21
Edward429451

Wow.

I got head butted by a doe once. We was at Royal Gorge near Canyon City and there is a large herd of tame(ish) potato chip fed deer there. They have a shop that sells food pellets and we bought a few bags and were hand feeding the deer getting some awesome pics. Well I was feedin' a doe and ran out of food and the dang thing got antsy and head butted me! Not wanting the deer to become confused about who was dominant, I immediately smacked the crap out of it in the face and stepped towards it as it backed off a little and took stock of what just happened. It decided that I was more of a badass than she was and wandered off in search of humans who weren't so violent and could be pushed around!

I'm not sure how I would handle an antlered deer...
Old October 9, 2009, 08:43 AM   #22
simonkenton

I worked scores of deer/car wrecks as a Paramedic in central Georgia.
I never saw a person injured by hitting a deer.
In these collisions, people get hurt when they swerve to miss the deer and hit the oak tree. I saw some people hurt badly this way, including one guy who was paralyzed from the waist down.

Central Georgia has some of the highest deer popluation in the US.There are deer hunting clubs all over the place. Also, go 20 miles down any country road and you will see a deer butcher shop. These shops only operate during deer season. Deer hunting is an industry in central Georgia.
As a deer hunter, naturally, I often talked about deer/human run ins with Paramedics in other counties, as well as with DNR Rangers. So, I knew all about what was going on with deer/human conflicts over a ten-county area.
In 14 years of being in this environment, I never heard of a deer attacking a hunter, much less killing him.
I doubt that very many humans are killed by being gored by deer.

If somebody can come up with the annual kill I would like to read it, I doubt it is 5 dead humans per year in the US.
Old October 9, 2009, 08:44 AM   #23
grymster2007

Quote:
I immediately smacked the crap out of it in the face
I'm calling PETA!
Old October 9, 2009, 08:58 AM   #24
Uncle Billy

The story of two asses....

Once my 2nd ex-wife and I were in a petting zoo just for kicks, before we had any kids. She had a bag of some sort of food she was handing out to the goats and turkeys and such. A donkey came up for a handout but the bag was empty. She turned away from the donkey without giving it any food, whereupon he nipped her pretty hard right on her butt. In an instant she whirled around and center-punched him right on his nose with a real "roundhouse". He made sort of a squawk and jumped back; the keepers gave a hard look at what was happening but didn't otherwise react. She had a pretty nasty bruise on her posterior when we got back to our hotel.

Later on I thought smacking the donkey like that wasn't fair- the guys where she worked never got punched as the donkey had, for such behavior.
Old October 9, 2009, 09:00 AM   #25
simonkenton

By Mark Lisheron
AMERICAN-STATEMAN STAFF

Thursday, October 08, 2009

A rare deer known for its full, sharply pointed antler rack gored to death a 27-year-old game manager last week at the Y.O. Ranch, a nationally known exotic game hunting ranch about 100 miles west of Austin.

Brandon Buchi, 27, of Mountain Home suffered puncture wounds to the side and thigh when the barasingha attacked after Buchi removed it from a trailer Oct. 1, Kerr County Sheriff Rusty Hierholzer said Wednesday. A volunteer firefighter who witnessed the goring attempted CPR unsuccessfully, Hierholzer said.

The barasingha died from the exertion of the attack, not an uncommon response among deer and some other exotic species, Hierholzer said.

"They can be very aggressive," Hierholzer said. "This was very unfortunate."

Hierholzer said that in at least 30 years he could not remember a fatal attack like it in Kerr County, which has developed a reputation for its game ranches.

The Y.O. Ranch, founded in 1880, is one of the best known. The ranch has a reputation for attracting private celebrity hunting parties, Hierholzer said. From Dec. 10-14, the Y.O. Ranch is hosting, at a cost of $3,500 a hunter, the Y.O. Birthday Huntbash with Ted Nugent.

The ranch stocks rare species from around the world, including yak, wildebeest and 17 different kinds of antelope. A barasingha is a deer native to India and Nepal. The barasingha, which looks like a small elk, has thrived on American exotic game ranches where operators fetch thousands of dollars from people to hunt them.