The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2007, 10:14 AM   #1
314EPW

Powder Brand???

I have had a lot of people tell me win 296 is a bad bad powder for reduced loads.I'm shooting a 6 1/2 " Raging Bull in 454 Casull.What powder do you guys use with good results.I'm looking for a load for the range without killing myself,plus deer hunting.I'm using Hornady 250 gr jhp.
thanks
Ed
Old November 7, 2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Your "peeps" are correct, you shouldn't download with W296 (or H110). Two excellent powders you can use for both practice loads and deer hunting loads are 2400 and AA #9.

Most reloading manuals don't list relatively low velocity loads for 454, but I think you can safely go a little below the listed minimums with those two powders. If you go too low you might find you have ignition problems with such a large volume case. You could use a filler material to keep the powder at the base.
Old November 7, 2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

As far as I know you can only download W. 296 and H110 (same St. Marks powder packaged under different names) in integral chamber barrels (most rifles and single-shots). In revolvers, the barrel/cylinder gap can bleed off enough pressure to squib out a poorly ignited charge of this powder, causing a bullet to get stuck in the barrel. The next round, if it ignites properly, can then damage the gun if you did not notice and remove the stuck bullet first. Only a nearly full case of this stuff ignites consistently, and that's why they don't want you to load it down more than 3%.

If you are looking for a range load for target practice, try Hodgdon Universal Clays. Start at about 10 grains and work up toward 14 grains. Decide for yourself where your comfort level is?

I notice the Hodgdon site only runs between 10.8 and 12.0 grains with a 250 grain Nosler bullet, but that 12.0 grain load is nowhere near maximum pressure for the round, even on their list. I have no idea what that's about? 12.0 grains is not the upper limit.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle